DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

1.  Walt's druglord identity is out in the open now and he's basically taking his "get out of Dodge" pass.  We know something big has to happpen to get him back. I think it's much more likely to involved his family than anything to do with Jesse especially at this point.  Remorse or not.

2.  The ARYAN BROTHERHOOD have most of the money and they have Jesse cooking meth.  Things are going too well for them.  Something is going to have to set them off.  I still leaning toward Todd's despise.  Lydia is still around for a reason.  Todd has a creepy thing for her, and some level of respect for Walt.

4.  Since they didn't off Jesse in this episode, we have to be getting some type of big conclusion to Jesse and Walt's relationship/saga.  I can't see Walt just saving Jesse and/or Jesse ever being okay with Walt again.  Nah, they are at the point of no return now.  I can't see both of them making it out alive in their final interaction.

I like how they sold Skylar realizing Walt's phone call was to absolve her from suspicion.  I didn't think they overplayed it. 

1.  Walt's druglord identity is out in the open now and he's basically taking his "get out of Dodge" pass.  We know something big has to have to had happpen to get him back. I think it's much more likely to involved his family than anything to do with Jesse especially at this point.  Remorse or not.

2.  The Nazis have most of the money and they have Jesse cooking meth.  Things are going too well for them.  Something is going to have to set them off.  I still leaning toward Todd's despise.  Lydia is still around for a reason.  Todd has a creepy thing for her, and some level of respect for Walt.

4.  Since they didn't off Jesse in this episode, we have to be getting some type of big conclusion to Jesse and Walt's relationship/saga.  I can't see Walt just saving Jesse and/or Jesse ever being okay with Walt again.  Nah, they are at the point of no return now.  I can't see both of them making it out alive in their final interaction.

I like how they sold Skylar realizing Walt's phone call was to absolve her from suspicion. 

No 3?

This was a tremendous episode. There isn't much that can be said that hasn't already, really. I will say, and I have a ton of faith in Gilligan and co to keep me guessing til the end so I'm probably wrong, but I find the use of nazis as the antagonists for this last little bit sort of on the nose. I always loved how Gilligan left it up to the viewer to decide how much they identify with Walt. By pitting him against the Aryan nation, Walt is basically John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and MacGuyver rolled in to one. I feel like I have to root for him now. I'm sure as shit not going to root for Uncle Jack.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but if it goes in that direction I'll have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

I like the Nazi thing, because it makes you root for Walt even though you have no desire to whatsoever.

I'm guessing Walt is coming back for his money.  He's one greedy motherfucker and one thing we've seen over and over is that you don't fuck with this man's cash.  He probably thinks Jesse is dead.  

I don't want him rescuing Jesse, anyway.  He's done that way too many times and it's time for Jesse to step up.

I like the Nazi aspect because it is a good example of how low Walt will go to get what he wants.  To get in bed with these guys not once, but twice, really shows his character.

I have no doubt he's going to save Jesse from them (either that is his goal from the get go or he discovers they still have Jesse and it becomes his goal) and I also have no doubt that Nazis (or the Aryan Brotherhood...some dude over on the Onion AV club has been getting his panties in a twist telling everyone these guys aren't Nazis.) were selected because they wanted an enemy that would at least give the audience who is disgusted by Walt someone who'd disgust them even more.  Walt is getting a redemption story to close out, the matter or how much of a redemption is the only real question.

Or I'm wrong as always and he's just pissed they're selling his product and wants to shut down their lab.

It was such a basic shot, but the close-up of Walt's hand shaking Uncle Jack's hand with the Swastika tattoo is the best "shaking hands with the devil" moment of all time. So simple, but so powerful. I just don't think Walt has the intensity to take these guys down by himself AND get his money back AND rescue Jesse AND have Jesse want to be rescued by Walt. Even if he could get the money, it would just be confiscated by the authorities and there's no way Skyler can cover up that much cash. More than anything, I think Walt is determined to put the genie back into the bottle and kill Todd, kill Jesse, kill Lydia, take down Madrigal, and then kill himself so that Blue Sky dies as well. He has Saul track down Skyler to leave her, Marie and the kids with a recording of his confession so they know the truth of everything that's happened and then take the 8, 9, or $10 million and put it into a fund or private account to make sure they're taken care of.

However, to get to Todd, he has to go through the Aryan Brotherhood and their compound. This is where I wish Mike were still alive because he would be able to figure this shit out after being reluctant to do so. Maybe Walt can figure out a way to sucker Uncle Jack's group, the cartel, and Lydia's group into a trap and have them shoot it out while using the machine gun at a distance to finish the job. 

I love this show. There's so many possibilities and all of them are awesome and sad and disturbing and amazing in their own way. It feels like watching The Shield again (hate to keep bringing that show up) because of how well things built up to the series finale. And after everything, we have two more weeks of Breaking Bad left. I don't know if I can handle it.

Let this clean the palate.

That is so awesome. He's such a good actor too because he can play the Jesse character to its absolute extremes, and then you take his role in Big Love where he's a sensitive, quiet, soft spoken guy. I'm sure the Jesse character is much easier for him to play though, as witnessed by the video above.

I don't buy the "saving Jesse" part.  That was literally the cruelest possible exit Walt could have had with Jesse, and as far as Walt is concerned now, Jesse is dead.

I also don't mind adding this was the first time I had nightmares over a Breaking Bad episode since the Gus Fring shows.

I don't buy the "saving Jesse" part.  That was literally the cruelest possible exit Walt could have had with Jesse, and as far as Walt is concerned now, Jesse is dead.

I also don't mind adding this was the first time I had nightmares over a Breaking Bad episode since the Gus Fring shows.

I think the whole "saving Jesse" thing depends on whether or not you're a member of Team Walt. I was firmly in that camp until Sunday night, but now it wouldn't surprise me to see Walt cowboy up and take on the Aryans just to get his damn money back with zero concern about Jesse.

I think people overstate Walt's monstrousness. He does terrible things, but he's still a human being. And human beings experience this thing called "regret." You saw him going through a bout of it at the end last night regarding what he had done for his family. I doubt it will be long before Walt starts feeling regret that he signed Jesse's death warrant simply because, in his anguish and anger over Hank's death, he wanted to hurt someone and Jesse was the only one he could hurt. And without a doubt, once he finds out that he had, in fact, signed Jesse up for a fate perhaps worse than death, he will try to save him.

Again, it's a classic trait of tragic characters that they realize the error of their ways and either try to make things right or, at least, hold back the tide of whatever awful thing they've unleashed. And, of course, just because he sets out to save Jesse, that doesn't mean he'll necessarily succeed, or that Jesse won't kill him after he's been rescued. That's the nature of the tragic character, as well: to fail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, I watched the episode twice last night, and somehow I missed the shot of the bullet hole in the reflection of Walt's head both times. Amazing shot. Although you expect that from Rian Johnson. So many great shots last night.

My favorite, though, is the one like the one above with Walt on the ground in anguish, but with Uncle Jack's dusty boots standing over him. Such a great homage to the poem that gave the episode it's name.

Let this clean the palate.

That is so awesome. He's such a good actor too because he can play the Jesse character to its absolute extremes, and then you take his role in Big Love where he's a sensitive, quiet, soft spoken guy. I'm sure the Jesse character is much easier for him to play though, as witnessed by the video above.

First that Price is Right clip is awesome! Second, I only watched one episode of Big Love, but my friend Kurt Brown watched the show and what you mentioned about Aaron Paul is exactly the same thing he was telling me last week.  He mentioned when he first started watching Breaking Bad (which I recommended he and his wife watch, since his wife watched Oz & The Wire, figured she'd enjoy the show), he thought Aaron Paul was so great as Jesse that he couldn't really see him doing a different character and then when he did a search, he realized he was on Big Love and was surprised it was the same guy.

Also that scene were Walt sees Jesse underneath the car and then tells the Aryans he found him was pretty great. I can't see him saving Jesse when he could have let him go there.

I think the whole "saving Jesse" thing depends on whether or not you're a member of Team Walt. I was firmly in that camp until Sunday night, but now it wouldn't surprise me to see Walt cowboy up and take on the Aryans just to get his damn money back with zero concern about Jesse.

On my part I have to disagree.  I've been off team Walt since he let Jane die, and got on "team Walt has to die a painful, horrible death" when the whole Brock thing happened. That said I really, really want him to save Jesse.