DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

FWIW, next week's episode (the penultimate one) is entitled "Granite State", so I assume that's when the flash forward will come to real-time.

Now that you mention this, I'm wondering if it'll go into "Walt 52" time and tell all the events that happened after the shootout in flashbacks.

Wasn't there a scene in the past few episodes where Walt was sitting there getting chemo?  I thought that settled the issue about whether he truly had cancer again.

There was.

All of the pictures of Walt and Jesse in costume are amazing. And yeah, Walt nails Tio. Uncanny.

Continuing my rewatch of Gilligan-pened X-FILES episodes, I watched "Pusher" for the first time since the 90's, not remembering much about it besides the general premise and it being awesome. I thought it was interesting that the payoff at the end was that Pusher's brain tumor was operable but he chose not to have it treated because he liked the power it gave him. They even explicitly couched it in terms of him being a little man who got a chance to be a big man.

Obvious parallel to Walter White turning down various opportunities to get out of the meth business because he loved being Heisenberg.

For the sake of you west coast folks...

Man, I wanted Gomie to get a better death scene than just panning up his dead body.  Hank went out like a MAN.  The whole time Walt was telling Uncle Jack that he had money to give him, I was yelling at my TV for him to shut the hell up, because he is gonna take ALL of it, and kill everyone anyway. 

So... is Walt 52 coming after the Aryans, or is he coming back for his family?  Holy crap!

Edited, because I wasn't clear. 

Aryans.  Think we hit exit with his family.

And how brilliant!  Hank died, and there was such a huge weight off my shoulders, almost like when we kicked that field goal on the Bucs earlier. FINALLY, I get to embrace my hatred of Walt and hope for his horrible demise!  Especially after that "Jane" bit.  But then it sinks in.  He's up against...Nazis!  I don't give a fuck how anti-hero you are, you're still not worse than Nazis!  Then that scene between him and Sky where Walt covered everything up for her...just really gorgeously written and acted.  I want Walt to fuck some serious shit up before he dies.  

But what's different now is, as I've been saying from the get-go, Walt's biggest flaw is done with.  He finally sees the damage he's done.  I think he'll be ready to pay for his sins, so while we'll get to see Walt die, we won't get the satisfaction of seeing Heisenberg die.  

I think the only way this can end now is with Jesse killing Walt.  After Walt finally confessed about Jane, I think that's given Jesse all the motivation he needs now.  And in the flash forward, Walt will think Jesse is long since dead.  That's just about the closest thing to a happy ending as this show can get.

The look of fear on Walt Jr.'s face as he protects his mom after the knife fight...I teared up a little.  To me, it was just the exact moment that Walt realized that he had lost everything.

That really may have been the best episode yet.  But it was so painful, I don't even know if I could watch it again.

I had planned on DVRing this because of the Niners but then there's a delay so it all worked out..   INCREDIBLE episode. I was sad to see Hank go but he went out like a G. I loved the line "he made up his mind ten minutes ago".  Awesome.

Then you had the shit with Jesse. So he's basically a slave to Todd in the meth game, Todd using Brock to get Jesse to cook, etc. 

The final ten minutes with Walt and his family was... I really can't explain it. I feel like I've said this a thousand times with this show but it was maybe the most compelling ten minutes oftelevision I have ever seen. One important thing to note...  the phone call. Walt knew the cops were there. He admitted everything to set Skyler free. His final gift to his family.

I feel like there are a hundred things I want to say about this episode, but I have no idea where to start. I think I'm still processing everything. Every scene was perfectly callibrated to achieve maximum torque on the knife-twisting.

I thought for sure Flynn was going to fall on the knife and die. Episode was freaking ridiculous and now I can't sleep.

Yeah, I had the same thought. 

Not really sure what to think about this ep.  Walt had some babyface moments, but also some episodes of pure evil.  Ratting out Jesse's hiding spot, then the "I watched her die" line should have killed any sympathy the audience feels for him, but he also tried to save Hank and provide cover for Skyler (of course, he stole her baby right before that and might have killed or hurt Skyler if Flynn hadn't gotten involved),

Not convinced he's going to try to take out Jack or any of the Aryans.  He seemed to be blaming Jesse for Hank's death.  Blaming Jack means acknowledging his set events in motion by asking Jack to kill Jesse and calling Jack from the desert.  That's not how Walt rolls.  Honestly, I still think maybe he's going to try to take out Jesse in the flash forward.  Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Such an amazing show.  I've said this a lot while watching this show, but this might be the best episode ever.  They are NAILING this final season.

I'm completely convinced now that the machine gun is for the Nazis and the ricin is for Walt.  The common thought against him using the ricin on himself seems to be "well there are easier ways to kill yourself" and "why go back to the house to get that particular ricin, he could make more."  I think the point of him using the ricin, and that particular ricin, is symbolic.  It's Walt punishing himself for "poisoning" his family and ruining their lives.  He's going to save Jesse and then destroy himself as his final acts. 

Watching Walt offer the money up to try to save Hank, and then his reaction when Hank was shot, made me feel so strongly for Walt.  That flashback at the start of the episode was a great way to remind us of how this all started and that at one time Walter White's intentions were pure (or as pure as they can be for someone getting into the meth business.)  Then moments later with his admission of watching Jane die to Jesse I was right back to wanting to see Walter get his comeuppance. 

Words words words, but it all basically boils down to "I love this show".

I don't think it's a matter of Walt blaming Jack, so much as it is Walt coming back to make what amends he can for all he's done to Jesse before he dies. Like most great tragic characters, he has to have that moment where he tries to set things right before he goes down for good. You saw a little bit of that tonight when he came to the realization that he had irrepairably broken his family and they'd never be together again, so he gave Holly back and did what he could to give Skyler an out so they could have a life without him.

When he finds out Jesse is still alive and being used as a slave by the Aryans, he'll do what he can to set that right.

Anyone remember that episode of South Park where Cartman breaks his 'funny bone'? He sees something so funny, that his body is unable to process any kind of humor from that point forward.I think this show has broken my 'drama' bone. I can't see how I will ever be able to watch another serious TV drama without holding it to the impossible standards this show has set.

I was sceptical when it first aired and people were raving about how good it was. I'd heard it all before with The Wire, NYPD Blue, The Sopranos etc. so I put off watching it for years. I've spent the last 4 months just plowing through it to catch up and I can say, without a doubt, it is the best TV series I have ever watched. Just incredible stuff.....

• Like 4

Anyone remember that episode of South Park where Cartman breaks his 'funny bone'? He sees something so funny, that his body is unable to process any kind of humor from that point forward.I think this show has broken my 'drama' bone. I can't see how I will ever be able to watch another serious TV drama without holding it to the impossible standards this show has set. I was sceptical when it first aired and people were raving about how good it was. I'd heard it all before with The Wire, NYPD Blue, The Sopranos etc. so I put off watching it for years. I've spent the last 4 months just plowing through it to catch up and I can say, without a doubt, it is the best TV series I have ever watched. Just incredible stuff.....

I was just messing with piranesi along the same lines in the DEXTER thread.There really might as well be no more TV after the finale airs. It should be like whatever happened to all the power in REVOLUTION, except just with TV. Just "Created by Vince Gilligan" then *poof*

As smart as Walt is though, he's a scientist, not a weapons expert. Walt, by himself, even with all of that gear, is going to get smoked by the Aryans. He isn't even a match for Creepy Todd. It's also totally out of character for Walt to just brute force his way through a situation. 

I still don't know what to say about this episode, but it was amazing. One of the heaviest episodes of TV I've seen. The overwhelming feeling I walked away with was that there are no good guys left. There's Marie and Flynn, but the way this is building is Walt saving the day before dying. Who's to say Jesse even wants to be saved by Walt at this point anyway? He was practically begging Creepy Todd to kill him.

So many questions, but it sucked seeing Hank go out like that. Sucked even worse thinking about where Walter came from to get to this point, where he's now practically a supervillain. Holly saying mama over and over again really got to me. 

Marie really isn't a good person (at least as far as innocence goes). Hubris has really been the downfall of so many Breaking Bad characters, and I think it's the case with Marie in "Ozymandias". When she walked into the car wash, I don't think she had a proper fallout plan. She thought once Skyler tells Walt Jr., then the mending process can begin. If she was a good guy, she should have completely stayed out of it once Walt and Skyler went the blackmail route. Her involvement makes it worse, especially for Walter Jr. I mean the kid is a teenager. So how were both of them going to explain a completely absurd series of events with "we didn't tell you because we were trying to protect you and know what's best for you"? For a person who was sick and tired of being lied to, she did a whole bunch of that because of her belief in knowing what's best for people.