DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

Maybe I just got a weird setup or something, I still use a password. 

Hank's comment about letting Jesse get killed as long as they have it on film pissed me off to no end. They really are burying everyone now, the only two people who don't deserve to be horribly punished are the kids. Marie rambling about poisoning Walt out of nowhere was weird.

I'm usually very wrong in my predictions, but I'm starting to get the feeling Jesse's going to be the one who ends the series killing Walt and being the last man standing.  Jesse's been a "half measure" this entire season, and Walt could have eliminated him MANY times, but he still cares about him to a degree, and even though he's in "full measure" mode now, it may be too late.  It seems only right as far as this series goes that the one person he's tried to spare is the one who kills him.

Do we know for certain that Walt really just wanted to talk to Jesse? It does seem to indicate that's the case since he called in the hit on Jesse after the fact... but with this show I can never quite be sure. I was starting to believe that between Skyler and the emotional moment with Flynn that Walt may have been persuaded to kill Jesse. But if he really did just want to try to reason with him and Jesse's paranoia is what tips their relationship completely over the edge based on a total guess, that would really disappoint me just as a fan of the show. I know their relationship has been hanging by the fingernails off a precipice above a fire pit of hell for a long while, but it still felt like that was a definitive moment where Jesse snapped and went all in, as sydneybrown mentioned.

Who knows if Walter is actually going to let Todd and his uncle kill Jesse? This could be his ultimate half measure. I think Walter might know that Jesse went back to work with Hank based on him leaving the plaza the way he did. First, he disappears off the radar with his vehicle still on the White premises. Then, he makes a mad dash in the opposite direction when he was suppose to talk to Walt. Walt may have a trap of his own.

Hank is going about this whole situation all wrong and I'm glad Jesse called him out on it.  That was my favorite moment of the episode.  I'm feeling confident that Walt is going to end up killing Hank at this point.

This really was a good episode for characters explaining things that the audience has been thinking for a while. Hank explaining to Jesse that Walt cares about him, Jesse telling Hank he's doing it all wrong. Even Skyler spelling out the inconvenient truth about Jesse to Walt.

But if he really did just want to try to reason with him and Jesse's paranoia is what tips their relationship completely over the edge based on a total guess, that would really disappoint me just as a fan of the show. I know their relationship has been hanging by the fingernails off a precipice above a fire pit of hell for a long while, but it still felt like that was a definitive moment where Jesse snapped and went all in, as sydneybrown mentioned.

The definitive moment was when Jesse found out about the Brock poisoning. If their relationship wasn't definitively over when Jesse tried to burn his house down, it was when he blabbed everything to a DEA camcorder and stepped out of a surveilance van wearing a wire.The scene at the plaza was just Jesse realizing he was going to die, deciding he didn't want to, and coming up with a new idea on how to get Walt.

So I am all caught up. Plowed through about 4 episodes a day to get to this point. What an amazing series. I love that Hank is in full pissed off mode and can't wipe his "Vic Mackey I'mma kill you" look off his face. A million points also goes to Walter for saying, "I don't like the way you're looking at me right now." 

I'm torn though, because I don't know how I want this all to end. I have a feeling that we're going to receive an ending like The Shield's. No one wins, except for maybe Hank and Marie, but that's a tainted victory at best. As for everyone else, Skyler runs off with the kids and goes into hiding, Jesse kills himself, and Walter winds up going to prison, but doesn't care since he doesn't have long to live, until he finds out there's no easy way out because his cancer is back in remission. As for Todd, Todd gets a spinoff show. If nothing else, I think this raises Jesse Plemons' profile even more considering he's been on two of the best TV series of all time, and hopefully he gets more starring roles. 

Speaking of The Shield, I've come to the realization that Walt is worse than Vic was. First off, Vic would never even consider poisoning Brock, since hurting children was a major berserk button for him. Secondly, while both guys used family as a rationalization for what they did, Vic at least understood that he was a bad guy. In Walt's mind, he's still a hero. I guess you could say that to Vic, the ends justified the means, whereas to Walt, the ends purified the means.

Show is definitely going out strong, it seems.  I kinda expect that none of the major players will be left standing at the end - not Jesse, Walt, Skyler, Marie, Hank.

I have no idea how this ends,  I'm kinda wondering if someone tries to take out Walt and gets Skyler and/or Jr. instead, leading to the "flash forwards".  Jesse?  Marie?  I can see Marie trying to poison Walt and getting his loved ones instead.

I've wondered if the flash forwards don't have Walt stalking Jesse, blaming him for his downfall.  Jesse takes out Skyler and Jr as "the better idea" he alluded to in last night's ep?  I've had this Jesse theory for a couple weeks, and last night's ep makes it seem a little more plausible.  There'd be a certain emotional catch there, since Walk apparently wasn't planning to kill Jesse at the meeting. 

I'm actively rooting for all of the White's extended family to be destroyed.  Walt really deserves it, for a lot of reasons.  And Skyler's speech last night.... wow.  You kinda knew this is where the character is, emotionally, but it's still shocking to hear her admit it.  Walter abandoned his ethics and morality at a moment's notice. He embraced Heisenberg.  Sklyer has slowly abandoned her values and climbed into the same hole Walt's in in fits and starts.  In a lot of ways, Skyler's turn has been more interesting to me.  I've never really disliked Skyler until she recently.

I wouldn't mind if Marie was the only one to walk away from this.  That'd be kinda amusing, really.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Jesse walk away unscathed, but that seems unlikely.  He doesn't deserve a happy ending, imo, but, without Walt, he'd probably be a harmless, brain dead meth head.  He's at least somewhat Walt's victim.

Think Saul will survive?   I expect him to walk away unscathed.  If there's a nuclear war, I'd put money on the survivors being cockroaches, Twinkies, and Saul.  He's just got a built-in survival instinct and no scruples about what he might need to do to stay afloat.

Oh, and Walt has the worst cell phone carrier ever.  No passcode on voice mail?  I've had three carriers in 15 or so years and never seen that.  C'mon, Walt, you're a drug kingpin.  You can afford AT&T.

What's with people being shocked that there wasn't a passcode?  Is this an old person thing?

Also, it was Jesse's phone not Walts.  The phone Saul gave him in episode 3.

• Like 1

Also, it was Jesse's phone not Walts.  The phone Saul gave him in episode 3.

Yeah, I knew better.  Brain cramp.  It was Walt's voice mails to Jesse that Hank was intercepting.

Do most cell phones not have passcodes.  I'm not an expert, but every phone/carrier I've ever dealt with made me set a security code before the voice mailbox was usable.

It looked like Jesse was given an iPhone, and the passcode for voicemail is optional.

One thing I liked about this episode was how the first half focused around Walt, Saul, and his family, while the second half focused on Jesse and Hank. Kept wondering about Jesse over the entire first half of the show.

We all know Todd and his uncle's Brotherhood crew are going to be the catalyst to something bad because they are hanging around the story's back pocket.  I'm not so sure Walt is going to order Jesse's death(another half measure?), but we'll know next episode.

I actually could see Todd's death setting off the shitstorm especially if Walt or Jess is the cause of it.  Yeah, there's a prediction.  Todd's death.

Really enjoyed this episode.  I loved Jesse telling Hank like it is, and it's clear by the end that it's Jesse, not Hank, getting the most out of the relationship.  I think Hank is completely fucked at this point, and that makes me happy.

I do wonder what Jesse's gameplan is.  This is a longshot, but maybe he's going to tell (and somehow convince?) Jr. that his dad is a monster?  The "hit you where you really live" line was intense.  

Think Saul will survive?   I expect him to walk away unscathed.  If there's a nuclear war, I'd put money on the survivors being cockroaches, Twinkies, and Saul.  He's just got a built-in survival instinct and no scruples about what he might need to do to stay afloat.

Saul is the cockroach.  He survives everything.

Who knows if Walter is actually going to let Todd and his uncle kill Jesse? This could be his ultimate half measure. I think Walter might know that Jesse went back to work with Hank based on him leaving the plaza the way he did. First, he disappears off the radar with his vehicle still on the White premises. Then, he makes a mad dash in the opposite direction when he was suppose to talk to Walt. Walt may have a trap of his own.

YES.  I don't think Walt is actually trying to kill Jesse, even with Sky's heel turn and such.  This could be a kidnapping, even.

It's not that I necissarily want Walt to get away in the end, I just don't want Hank to win.  I'm kind of wondering if Walt's call to Todd was about Hank and not Jesse.  Someone mentioned Marie fucking up trying to kill Walt and poisoning Jr/Skylar instead, that's definitely something I could see happening.

In the 9 years I've had a cellphone I've never had a password for my voicemail, but I also don't have a smartphone.

I haven't heard of anyone using passcodes for voicemail access in years and years. Most people who use smartphones do have a pin or some sort of swipe motion as a security measure to unlock the phone for any sort of use, but you can set that off as well, and considering Jesse's phone came from Saul's drawer of loaners, it would make sense that there wouldn't be a pin number assigned previously.

This thread is now about voice mail security options.

No kidding.  If you guys are going to nit-pick about phone details, you should at least have brought up not only how ridiculously easy it was to find a pay phone, but how Jesse actually knew Walt's number by heart.  I know the show doesn't take place in the "present," but I don't think I've actually memorized anyone's phone number since 2002.

• Like 1

This thread is now about voice mail security options.

No kidding.  If you guys are going to nit-pick about phone details, you should at least have brought up not only how ridiculously easy it was to find a pay phone, but how Jesse actually knew Walt's number by heart.  I know the show doesn't take place in the "present," but I don't think I've actually memorized anyone's phone number since 2002.

Honestly, how many burners has Jesse probably gone through in the last year?