DVDVR Message Board

Breaking Bad Final Season Continues August 11th

Elsalvajeloco

When people use their first post to correct me on something, it makes me think I'm really wrong.I remember it playing out like, Saul gives Badger his card with the dollar amount he wants, Badger passes that on to Walt & Jesse, Walt & Jesse predictably squabble over hiring Saul in the above referenced scene. That middle part may have been completely invented by my sleep-deprived mind.

This is basically what happens.  I think the mistake made earlier is that when Saul goes in to meet Jesse, he has the wrong paperwork with him.

I'm excited out of my goddamn head for this tonight.  I'm pissed that the season is going to overlap with the NFL, though.  Way too much TV in the fall.

Andy Greenwald had a pretty cool article on how the show will probably avert a Sopranos/Wire style thud at the end because the show's narrative is so narrow and precise.  

I still think shit is going to come back around with Gus and "who he really is", and I wouldn't be surprised to see him show back up in some flashbacks.  I think someone in Walt's family ends up eating the ricin.  I really, really hope that Hank doesn't get to bust Walt (and then send him on the run or whatever) and I wouldn't mind seeing Walt take him out, but we'll see.  As much as I can't wait to see everything cave in on Mr. White, Hank is the absolute last person on the show that I want to see do it.  I'm hoping Walt's killers/people he's getting all gunned up for are something huge and terrifying.  

Also, Saul lives, and I can't wait for the spin off.  Though I'd prefer it to take place before BB.

Also, Saul lives, and I can't wait for the spin off.  Though I'd prefer it to take place before BB.

The spin off (possibly) taking place pre-Walter White means that Saul doesn't necessarily make it through this show alive of course.

If you've been waiting to see Gancarski badly misunderstand the themes of Breaking Bad: here it is.

The comments section is more interesting - and on point - than his essay.  The person who said he was seeing political messages where there aren't any is exactly right.  I've never thought the show had an agenda regarding either US policy towards drugs or the health care system.  The show has always been squarely focused on Walter.  Any lessons may only be applicable to him.  If I had to sum up the message of the show, I'd probably go with "Some people find it fairly easy to rationalize evil deeds. 

Not everyone, but some.  The cancer's is Walter's beard.  It affords him opportunities and an excuse for what bad behavior that he wouldn't have had otherwise.

• Like 1

I'm about to finish up rewatching the first half of season five this afternoon, and I feel more certain that it's going to be Todd & the Aryan Brotherhood who come back on Walt. I totally forgot Todd kept the tarantula from the kid he killed. Yeah, dude named "Death" who keeps trophies of the people he kills? That's just waiting to go wrong in a very bad way.

I like how Lydia is always terrible at these covert meet-ups.

I'm assuming Todd is who Walt left in charge of the cook, in which case...yeah, Lydia is going to have the Aryan Brotherhood on Walt in a jiffy.

That last line of the premiere ranks up there with "I AM the one who knocks" in great Walt lines.  I don't know why, but I always get the chills when Walt is so desperately trying to be a badass.

I was a little worried at first, because I thought the wait had been so long, and it might not live up to expectations, but the last twenty was amazing.  I just love it when characters behave exactly like you hope they would.

• Like 1

The Hank stuff was intense, but I find myself preoccupied with the mystery of the flash forward. It appears Walt's family was killed by someone who wanted to send a message to "Heisenberg". The question remains who? The Arizona cartel? The Mexican cartel? Todd's Aryan pals? Lydia's Czechs? Old friends of Gus Fring's?  Who's Walt going to poison, and who's he just going to blow away?

With Giancarlo Esposito and Jonathan Banks finally off the board, I'm hoping this is the year Dean Norris finally gets some award recognition for playing Hank. And to that end, this would be a pretty awesome submission episode for him.

Not that anybody is ever beating Aaron Paul, as this episode also showed.

The Hank stuff was intense, but I find myself preoccupied with the mystery of the flash forward. It appears Walt's family was killed by someone who wanted to send a message to "Heisenberg". The question remains who? The Arizona cartel? The Mexican cartel? Todd's Aryan pals? Lydia's Czechs? Old friends of Gus Fring's?  Who's Walt going to poison, and who's he just going to blow away?

OR

Once Walter White was finally exposed as Heisenburg, his story becomes so infamous while he is on the run that people became infatuated with him enough to spray graffiti in his now abandoned house. Just like when crazy people deface the graves of famous musicians.