DVDVR Message Board

September 2014 Football Thread

cubbymark

Really poor body language from the Mustard Yellows. This could be a very long season. :/

Not sure what style of play Li'pool are supposed to be playing. In his first year here, Brendan had the squad playing a nise Barca style to above average effect. Last year it was the counter-attacking diamond that really lit the fire. This year we're not pressing or playing possession nor counter attacking all that much either. Just a lot of blah.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Basel are no mugs, tough place to play. 

I couldn't believe City yesterday with that tweet about Totti not scoring in England.  Tempting fate duly punished of course, but the arrogance of it took the cake. 

Basel are no mugs, tough place to play. 

I couldn't believe City yesterday with that tweet about Totti not scoring in England.  Tempting fate duly punished of course, but the arrogance of it took the cake. 

While certainly true for English clubs, this was just one of many poor performances that seem to have similar themes.

There are not enough "Likes" in the universe for this. I have 2 sporting fantasies that would allow me to die a happy man: One is the return of the Whalers. The second is the Red Bull shitheads fucking off back to Austria for good. The Metrofanatic board is officially Pants Free at this point. Someday in the future, I hope this day is noted in history for the beginning of the liberation of Metro from the soda jerks. Anyone know if Terry Pegulia wants to further diversify his holdings?

Thanks Spurs, for your continued contribution towards my mental health.

The early Europa League games I've seen have been, mostly, pretty good entertainment.

A 1-1 draw in Russia today was fine by me.

Hopefully, the Europa Curse does not strike on Sun v United.

Guest The Magnificent 7

These UEFA Cup announcers are really terrible.  Kayal came on for Commons tonight in the 2nd half and this joker on Fox Sports 2 said that Kayal is a really offensive minded player, and he was puzzled as we were defending a 1-0 lead and this was a like for like substitution. 

Commons has scored over 50 goals in a little over 100 appearances.  Kayal has scored I think 2 in close to 90. 

Kayal has his qualities, but he's a terrier who hunts down the ball.  He's not an offensive minded player by any means.

Between that and continuously calling Denayer, van Dijk, and vice versa you have to wonder if these guys ever watch the teams before the matches. 

Blackpool won their first game in 160 days. Naturally that means they are now only 2 points from escaping the relegation zone (6 points from 10 games).

17th in the Championship is held by former Premiership team and recent FA Cup winners Wigan.

Brutal division is brutal.

Wasn´t able to watch much Bundesliga this weekend, still able to follow most of it result-wise.
Bayern extended their lead to four points, their biggest rival as of now is Hoffenheim. Most of Bayern´s somewhat serious contenders dropped points. Schalke and Dortmund both lost their respective matches. Especially Dortmund fans have to be clueless right now, after another good CL-performance the club dropped points in the domestic competition. This time it happened at home in a loss to Hamburger SV who finally broke their duck with their first win in the Bundesliga since matchday 29 of last season. Moenchengladbach and Mainz, who are both undefeated as of now, drew each other.

Top 6 as of now: Bayern, Hoffenheim, Moenchengladbach, Leverkusen, Eintracht Frankfurt and Mainz.

Werder Bremen dropped to last place after drawing Freiburg in the battle of the winless, I guess neither team is helped by that result.

Rivals and Champion´s League contenders Schalke and Dortmund find themselves in the middle of the table, on 11th and 13th place, which basically means both teams blew their start mightily.