DVDVR Message Board

September 2014 Football Thread

cubbymark

There just wasn't enough done in the last couple of years of Sir Alex's tenure to prepare for the transition away from the defensive core of Rio, Vidic and Evra. Smalling and Jones were the plan, but they didn't turn out as world beaters, and they could be relied upon to miss at least 10 matches apiece due to injury.

If Moyes had a plan for United's defense going forward, I was never able to discern it.

Really hope Mangala playing a shitter doesn't come back to haunt us if the title comes down to GD. Yeesh.

Cosign on the Palace fans... best atmosphere in the Prem for my money. Glad to see Warnock right the ship from the looks of things.

It's almost as if transitioning from an experienced but aging defense to a bunch of relatively untested players all in one fell swoop instead of gradually over a couple years was a really bad idea.

Yes, there is a definite decline in their defending... But there defense has not been good the last 3 years or so. Let's not pretend that they were world beaters back there.

Just to point out that this season in 6 games only once have United started with an unchanged defence and that lasted 30 minutes. Talk of transition or decline this season is premature or just pointless due to how many injuries we've had and new players being introduced.

Today we had Rafael in his third game back, third game for Rojo and at CB for the first time, Shaw's debut and McNair who made his senior debut and is 7th choice CB.

Swansea: 1-2 (no full backs available)

Lingard (Youth team/ midfielder) -  Blackett (Youth team player making debut) - Smalling - Jones - Young (Left winger)

Sunderland 1-1 (no full backs available)

Valencia (Right Winger) -  Blackett (Youth team) - Smalling (off after 40mins replaced by Keane another youth player) - Jones - Young (Left winger)

Burnley 0-0 (no full backs available)

Valencia (Right Winger) - Blackett (Youth team player) Evans - Jones - Young (Left winger)

QPR 4-0

Rafael - Blackett - Evans - Rojo (Debut)

Leicester 3-5

Rafael - Blackett (sent off) - Evans (injured after 30m) - Rojo

West Ham (down to 10 men for 30 minutes)

Rafael - McNair (Senior debut) - Rojo (1st game at CB for United) - Shaw (Debut)

There's not a single team in the premier league that wouldn't struggle with the amount of injuries we've had.

Ahem...

At times, the crowd and background pictures appear to be from a video game. It's very strange looking.

It looks awesome, yet weird. The video game feeling was exactly what I had.

Bundesliga matchday six concludes.
The big game was Schalke vs Dortmund, Schalke won 2-1 with all the goals coming in the first half. I only saw the second half of the match, it seemed to be high paced, but the second half was all Dortmund without them creating particularly much in regards of chances etc. To their misfortune, they should have gotten a penalty midway through the second half but where denied by the otherwise good referee Gagelmann. It also means that Schalke surpasses Dortmund who have struggled a lot recently and only got one point from the last three league games.

Bayern are sitting on top of the league after a 2-0 win at FC Koeln and Moenchengladbach is in second following a 2-1 victory in their away game in Paderborn. At the bottom of the table Stuttgart finally collected their first win of the season following a 1-0 at home against Hannover (who had a good start to the season I might add). Hamburger SV and Werder Bremen failed in attempting the same, both losing their games 1-2.

Hamburg went down to Frankfurt at home after a scorcher of a freekick by Lucas Piazon in the dying minutes of the game. You should definetly check that shot out as soon as it hits the net, definetly worth it. Looked like a better placed version of David Luiz´ goal for Brazil against Colombia in this year´s quarter finals of the World Cup. Hamburg broke the record for the longest goalless period at the start of a Bundesliga season in said match, for after a grand total of 507 in-match-minutes they weren´t able to score in the 2014/2015 season. The previous record of 474 minutes was set in 1979/1980 by now second division Bochum. Despite a short collective sigh of relief after their first goal of the season there was lots of frustration, because while they were able to control the game they couldn´t really create big opportunities and Piazon´s moment of brilliance meant another loss. Hamburg is now winless for consecutive 13 league games ("inter"-seasonal, counting relegational play-offs against Fuerth aswell).

Werder on the other hand was exposed in defense at VFL Wolfsburg. They showed some spirit, but also made major mistakes you shouldn´t be making at the level they are playing at. Six matchdays in Werder has conceeded 15 goals already, which is simply too much for club that doesn´t have the strike force it used to have between 2004 and 2010. The two former Northern powerhouses are joined by Freiburg in the club of the winless teams, who have far better showings nontheless showing promise and simply lacking in the luck department.

Adding Piazon´s astonishing free kick goal:
http://youtu.be/DBFoEqsTJ-c?t=1m18s

• Like 1

According to reports Chivas USA will be contracted once the season ends. On a funny note their supporters group (yes, they have one) claims that they will petition the Galaxy to allow them to go to games as a visiting supporters section. Vaya con Dios goats.

Just wanted to say thank you Reise for your reports on German football.  Before I started reading your reports I knew of the two big squads and was about it.  I'm learning a lot from you!

Happy to provide. We all have our limited time to spend on football and it´s always good to be able to catch up on a channel you´re aware of. I use these threads to keep up with BPL, which I can only follow sporadically.

CL matches were fine to look at in Simulcast for the most part. PSG vs Barca looked great, Jackson Martinez breaking Donezk´s hearts was dramatic to the max. A lot of really close matches, some really unexpected. Early empty arena match between CSKA Moscow and Bayern was fun, especially the first half were Bayern looked really really vulnerable and was saved by Neuer and the bar. Second half was more of a cruise-control affair with Munich rarely having clear chances and Moscow not having any at all (at least from what I recall).