DVDVR Message Board

September 2014 Football Thread

cubbymark

So Garry Cook stopped by the Mad Hatter after the City match yesterday. It was quite random.

One of the Rags on Facebook's Manchester banter group has taken to calling me "queer gingerbread man." Honestly not sure what part of that insult tickles me more. :)

I want you to proudly put that in your sig because its so idiotic we should all get to laugh at it.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

True, but I think his problem was his bombast was too serious and reverential.  I kind of compare his style to Hudson.  Hudson, while showing the same uber-enthusiasm is also giving you a wry smile and a wink with his "magesterial" effusiveness.  Hudson makes me not take things as seriously and have fun watching a match, while Gus always seemed to want to praise every semi-decent touch as the best thing since Van Basten's famous strike or something.  I mean Hudson does that for someting like Sanchez's wonder strike last season, but you know he's having a laugh with it at the same time.  And at least that is an example as something that was really "magesterial."  Hudson's sense of humor is awesome.  I remember before the World Cup they were talking about England's chances and he said, "England has too many prima donna's and not enough Maradona's."   How can you not love that stuff?

I didn't expect him to be as good as an Ian Crocker, but he just didn't click with me. Gus has a good sense of humor, but I don't think he allowed himself to enjoy it.  I imagine too many people in his ears saying how much of a serious business footy is. 

And he had a zillion eyes on him, esp the "why so serious" futbol fans, who had to live through Dellacamra in the 2006 WC and feared a repeat.

Gus' enthusiasm could have worked. Maybe if he had been the 2 or 3 pxp on the chart behind Tyler or Rae or Darke, whomever Fox borrows from Sky.

Scuttlebutt is that NYCFC have given up on South Bronx for the new stadium and are looking at a spot adjacent to Aqueduct Park in Queens. On one hand I love the idea of having them play in my borough, but OTOH that's gonna be a nuclear nightmare going to/from matches without a car. Pretty sure I could get from my pad in Astoria across one state line and two bodies of water to Red Bull Arena quicker than Aqueduct via public transit.

Remember Tim Wiese? No. 2 Goalkeeper for Germany at the 2010 campaign, long-time Bremen goalie, then demoted to playing in the Under 23 squad at Hoffenheim with a high paying contract after conceeding a ton of goals right at the beginning of the 2012/2013 season? He has been bulking up since he stopped playing football and announced he wants to start a wrestling career.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report-former-germany-goalkeeper-tim-wiese-says-he-has-been-offered-contract-with-wwe-2019072

This is how he looks now, apparently:

tim-wiese-hat-einige-kilos-an-muskelmass

• Like 1

How stupid is Mkhitaryan to dive when he is through on goal while having options to play Immobile? Surefire goal! Game has been like last seasons match in Dortmund, Borussia should be up by one or two goals, but they keep wasting sitters. Arsenal´s defense does pretty well, still, but they face a tough job.

edit: Well, they managed to score, and I think there are hardly any doubts this was deserved. Good run by Immobile and great finish.

It actually seemed as if Dortmund should have had 4 or 5 shots more, all from maybe even better positions than the ones they actually shot from.
Game seems a little dead in the water after the early second goal for the German team. Good game for their campaign start. I don´t know why, but something makes me feel incredibly sorry for Mesut Oezil. He just doesn´t seem happy, and the way he plays doesn´t help changing that impression.

Bayern/Man CIty hasn't quite been all I hoped, but it was almost worth it for Boateng's late burst of energy. It's also amazing seeing how many of Bayern's guys can just swap positions mid-game without missing a beat.

I'm sure not beating Bayern will lead to another "what's wrong with City" article for me to ignore.

I´d say that Arsenal´s midfield just had a horrible off-day yesterday. From what I´ve seen him do for the Germany team recently, I would say Özil is wasted on the wing. I don´t know who would be better suited in the squad, but if you can´t play Mesut at CM and you have suitable wingers, I´d rather bench the guy. The defense was actually doing pretty well up until it collapsed under constant pressure, but that was eventually going to happen.

Bayern with a very very lucky result, Boateng of all people scoring a very late game winner. Roma making their voice heard in that group thumping CSKA 5-1.

Schalke getting a point at Chelsea after their horrible start in Germany is somewhat of an upset.