DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The Devils Advocate thing was a good concept, but I still don't know how it could be applied to a wrestler. What is he supposed to do in the ring then?

I think the key is in the follow-up promos. He wrestles like a heel and then justifies it in promos by using the same logic we might use to reinforce that we are the actual heel here. 

Say he beats a face by pulling the tights and follows up with a promo where he says that everyone takes shortcuts, and that's not a bad thing, then points out how people often take shortcuts at work or home (by letting Type As do most of the work on a project, by stealing someone else's idea and presenting it to your boss, by breaking your promise to your kid to hang out when you need to do work by promising to do it later or give him a gift instead). 

By drawing an analogy between his actions and the actions of the viewer, I think it works. 

The Devils Advocate thing was a good concept, but I still don't know how it could be applied to a wrestler. What is he supposed to do in the ring then?

The same thing Bad News Barrett does, I guess.

at least, in theory, Barrett could deliver bad news by beating someone in the ring.

O'Haire.. it's like something in an e-Fed. You kinda have to ask "so, why the fuck are you wrestling as a devils advocate as a chosen means of income"..

a manager who is a devils advocate could work a lot easier too

So this is something I've been working on, hope it is alright to post it here:

http://www.coloradoindies.com/

It is essentially a site designed to help Colorado Independent Wrestling get noticed since essentially most people don't realize it exists. I'm hoping I can find a few fanboys in the area to recreate the magic that our DVDVR playaz used to do with their road reports but alas, nobody has stepped up to the plate in that aspect :P

I created something like this for Mississippi indies on FB. Seems to have helped a bit. Lots of the local feds end up uploading the entire shows to youtube within a week of the show. Just saw that the newest Pro Wrestling EGO/Pride show with Bret Dibiase is up.

• Like 1

That's some really shitty news. I really liked Sean O'Haire in the dying days of WCW and loved his devil's advocate character and vignettes.

Felt Plaumbo, O'Haire, and Shane Helms were the biggest losers talent-wise from WCW dying- felt like each of them would have been big stars in WCW had continued- they were getting over very well.

It is sad to hear about O'Haire, I saw it on Facebook this morning.

The Devil's Advocate character was awesome but I'm thinking everyone forgot about how he majorly messed it up once they put him in front of the crowd because he couldn't stop laughing while trying to cut the promos so that is when they gave him Piper. If he could have gotten through the promos and developed he might have been good but I think that is essentially the point they gave up on him.

That's some really shitty news. I really liked Sean O'Haire in the dying days of WCW and loved his devil's advocate character and vignettes.

Felt Plaumbo, O'Haire, and Shane Helms were the biggest losers talent-wise from WCW dying- felt like each of them would have been big stars in WCW had continued- they were getting over very well.

Didn't they forget to shake hands with people or not say hi to Droz backstage? I seem to recall them getting shit for something like that.

Too bad we live in an era where they don't bother coming up with elaborate ways to explain guys leaving for long periods. 

The whodunnit angle with Steve Austin was interesting.

Was it? Rikishi being the guy? And unstoppable badass Stone Cold Steve Austin being out for nearly a year after being clipped by a car, in the same time period HHH had a much, much more serious accident with a car and was back the next night?

It doesn't even have to be as complicated as the explanations of others here - he just uses all that devil's advocate stuff to get inside the head of his opponents and win matches.

Re: O'Haire:  One of the things that hurt him was taking away the Seanton Bomb...it stood out that a guy of his size could pull off that move.  Unfortunately, when they had a hundred guys under contract during the Invasion era, they had to jump through hoops to prevent finisher overlap.

Re: O'Haire: One of the things that hurt him was taking away the Seanton Bomb...it stood out that a guy of his size could pull off that move. Unfortunately, when they had a hundred guys under contract during the Invasion era, they had to jump through hoops to prevent finisher overlap.

In WWEs defense, the Seanton was a blatant copy of a WWE finisher.

The bigger what if is what happens to the thrillers if WCW doesn't go under.

The Seanton Bomb also sucked. Go back & watch it, he never connects with it. It's like he just jumps over everyone & flips. No impact at all. It's not visually impressive if it is business-exposing, no?

Watch the WCW Greed 2001 PPV between Totally Buff & The Natural Born Thrillers. It's like a 45 second squash with 2x Seanton & neither connects.

WCW put their hardcore belt on him while he was on a per-apperence deal, WWF signed him, possibly to fuck with WCW, put him in a team with Rikishi, they were awesome and looked to be heading into a feud with Taker/Kane and then one of them got hurt and the Invasion happened and Meng wasn't seen on TV again. This happened in 2001.

You guys would give the shittiest eulogies. 

"I think we're all gonna miss Sean. Except for his shitty finisher. Seriously it was terrible. And I hope he remembers to shake hands with St. Peter at the gates, because otherwise he's gonna be a heat magnet."

• Like 5

You guys would give the shittiest eulogies. 

"I think we're all gonna miss Sean. Except for his shitty finisher. Seriously it was terrible. And I hope he remembers to shake hands with St. Peter at the gates, because otherwise he's gonna be a heat magnet."

I've learned that when someone dies, you're better off not reading past the first few remarks on their death thread, because someone is always an asshole by page two.

And speaking of death, WTF?  Lawler's heart attack was TWO YEARS AGO?!?!?!?