DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

If reports are to be believed, WWE is beginning to look beyond John Cena as their eternal number one guy, thanks to the increasing injuries the star has sustained over the last few years.

John Cena has been the number one man in the WWE for close to ten years now. Ever since he won his first World Title by defeating John Bradshaw Layfield at Wrestlemania 21 in 2005, Cena has been booked as the top guy in the WWE. He has main evented the wide majority of WWE events, as well as had two matches with The Rock. Cena has won 15 World Titles with the company, beating most legends in clean fashion along the way. Moreover, Cena sells more merchandise for the WWE than anyone else. He is also very popular with children, who are WWE's core audience.

But Cena has suffered a number of neck and shoulder injuries over the last few years. He came back from a tricep injury within four months to the Royal Rumble in 2008, though he was supposed to be out for double the time. Later on that year, Cena suffered a neck injury, and once again, he returned within months. Then he left WWE following Summerslam 2013 for surgery on his arm, only to return by the end of the year. While Cena has shown a remarkable tendency to recover quickly from major injuries, it is now reported that the repeated injuries have taken a toll on his body and that he is working injured most of the time. This cannot be good news for a company whose franchise star is Cena. WWE has resisted turning Cena heel for so long precisely because he brings in so much money. In this scenario, losing him altogether would be a nightmare for Vince McMahon.

It is then a matter of concern that Cena took 16 German suplexes against Brock Lesnar in their match at Summerslam this year. Lesnar also pounded him in quite a realistic fashion enroute his now-legendary victory. Besides, Cena has been on nearly every show for a decade, as well on every Pay Per View event. He has done live shows to add to the weekly RAW and SmackDown shows, traveled several countries, and been an ambassador for WWE as well. Therefore, the time has come for WWE to take a good look at how much they can push Cena from now on. 

WWE's problem for the last several years has been that they have been unable to push any other wrestler to be an equal to Cena. No other wrestler has been given as much spotlight as Cena, or promoted so heavily. Main eventers have come and gone but Cena has remained at the top. If Cena has to step down from that level due to his health problems, someone else has to be built up to take his place. WWE have currently placed their faith (or so it seems) in Roman Reigns, but given Cena's popularity with children, replacing him will be an onerous task for WWE. Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan continues to be out with a shoulder injury.

Reportedly, Vince McMahon is upset that the company is unable to build main event stars as fast as it should. There are rumours that WWE is planning to move Cena more into an acting role. While Cena has taken time off to shoot movies recently, there is also talk of having him play a less active, less frequent role in the ring. 

All in all, it does not look like the leader of the Cenation has too many years of his career left.

Well gee, can't figure out *why* they've never been able to create another star.  Its not like they cut off most guys that get massive fan reaction, right?  They push who's over, right?

I think the shirt is just a rib on him,anyway. Orange is the color of Blackpool FC but he said on Colt's podcast that he isn't much of a football fan.

Reportedly, Vince McMahon is upset that the company is unable to build main event stars as fast as it should.

What I love is when you read something like this, then you read that Vince wants to bring The Rock back to face Brock at WrestleMania instead of putting a younger guy like Reigns over him.

Watching the VCU Peppas do their thing, I'm wondering if the WWE could do a modified MVP/Spirit Squad gimmick with a pep band? I figure they go to enough college towns that they could enlist the local schools to supply band members and give them a shirt to wear or something.

I think the problem is following through with the stars they do create. On the one hand, they create a bunch of stars... but OTOH, in an era of 50/50 booking and trying to keep everyone over they cut almost everyone off at the knees. Ryder (don't kid yourself, he was hugely over), Tatsu, Cesaro, Swagger, Dolph... that list goes on and on and on.

• Like 1

I think the problem is following through with the stars they do create. On the one hand, they create a bunch of stars... but OTOH, in an era of 50/50 booking and trying to keep everyone over they cut almost everyone off at the knees. Ryder (don't kid yourself, he was hugely over), Tatsu, Cesaro, Swagger, Dolph... that list goes on and on and on.

Well, they *tried* to cut down Bryan, BUT THE FANS REFUSED TO LET IT HAPPEN!

\o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/ <o> \o/

• Like 7

Regardless of the state of Cena's health, WWE very definitely is shit at creating stars.

They suck at creating new stars, they cut guys legs out from under them if they get over on their own, they bring in old guys every  chance they get...seriously, I hope the next time someone gets enough juice to cut a worked shoot promo on Vince, they have the balls to congratulate him for becoming WCW...

• Like 1

I KNOW the "just turn Cena!" thing has been absolutely DONE to DEATH, and to be honest, I'm sick of talking about it. But in the spirit of ODing on Nitro reruns (because Raw is gonna be worse than the damn Giants...) let me just say this:

When Hulk was heading the NWO, he worked, what, 1-2 matches a month if that? They could still use Cena's name to draw even if he just came out and talked for 10 minutes every week about where the power lies, brother.

Definitely. But the fabricated news headlines that Cena is Hogan levels of broken down make me cringe.

It's not so much that "Cena is broken down like Hogan" as it is "Cena has been doing this shit at the top for a decade now, and he is getting older and at some point he's not going to be able to have the super-human recovery times from injuries"

Hey, my answer to the question about making stars and lack of goes back to Wade Barrett. He instantly sold enough people on his star power and charisma and mic skills that Nexus got over huge... Then instead of protecting him, we all saw how that went down.

But still, he got over pretty big each time they pushed him only to use him to get lesser people over and fuck you WWE. People cry about their favorites. Talk to me when they make shitheads like Slater and Otunga look bad ass while wearing an ugly ass logo.

British Cena they could have but Swaggie needs a push too... For what gawd only knows reason.

I don't know if "clamoring" would be the word for it, but a one-shot with Brock would be fine. No one thinks he should be champ...right? I definitely don't think that.

Anyway, to my point: If you push a guy that the fans accept at that level and he gets injured, maybe you should have pushed multiple guys to be accepted by the crowd at that level. NWA's upper card didn't fall apart when Magnum TA got hurt because they could plug Nikita Koloff in there. WWE's upper card didn't fall apart when Steve Austin got hurt because they could plug The Rock or even Mankind in there, etc. 

I'd be fine with Wade being put in that position because when he inevitably gets injured, they should be able to turn to Bryan when he is healthy or to Ambrose or to Reigns if they position those guys correctly. 

Yeah but it's WWE. This past year has been brutal. Beyond the Shield split it has been Cesaro, Bo Dallas, the Wyatt's, Nation of Education, etc wasted. We all fear Rusev getting AA'd by the Royal Rumble. Without the fans revolting and CM Punk walking out we get Orton-Batista at Wrestlemania 30, a match up of guys who were up and comers at Wrestlemania XX and a planned match for Wrestlemania 22.

Is there any interest in myself getting Vince Russo & Chris Cash (from WrestleZone) to sign up on the board and post a few times? I already got him to join EWB and introduce themselves. They're wanting to drum up interest in their fantasy wrestling league and Russo booking WCW 2000 on TEW the way he wanted to do back in 2000, and they're targeting fans like ourselves. I think it'd be interesting (in a train wreck kind of way) to see the WCW booking stuff he comes up with/has laid dormant in his mind since then.

WrestleZone & Vince Russo get a bad rap, but I'll be damned if they aren't really cool dudes, so down to earth and friendly.

Is there any interest in myself getting Vince Russo & Chris Cash (from WrestleZone) to sign up on the board and post a few times? I already got him to join EWB and introduce themselves. They're wanting to drum up interest in their fantasy wrestling league and Russo booking WCW 2000 on TEW the way he wanted to do back in 2000, and they're targeting fans like ourselves. I think it'd be interesting (in a train wreck kind of way) to see the WCW booking stuff he comes up with/has laid dormant in his mind since then.

WrestleZone & Vince Russo get a bad rap, but I'll be damned if they aren't really cool dudes, so down to earth and friendly.

Can we choose their names? Fat Spanish Waiter II or ENO9O?

• Like 3