DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Per Mike Johnson

If you have been waiting word on when Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling will produce their first events, this should make you happy. If you are a fan of New Japan Pro Wrestling, this story should really make you happy.

PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources in the PPV industry that a Global Force Wrestling PPV event is on carriers' schedules for 1/4/15. Of course, 1/4 is the date of what has been the biggest Japanese event of the year for seemingly forever, the annual New Japan Pro Wrestling Tokyo Dome event.

It would appear that Jarrett's company has brokered a deal to bring the Tokyo Dome show to United States PPV for the first time. Sources indicate that the deal and all marketing for the PPV would be branded GFW, not New Japan.

Jarrett, who announced plans to launch GFW the day after Wrestlemania 30, was revealed as a member of the Bullet Club faction in NJPW recently. Jarrett departed TNA in December 2013, although he remains a minority owner in the company.

When reached this afternoon via telephone, Jarrett declined to comment on this story.

Yeah... I don't think New Japan fans will be happy

Why? Besides branding the Tokyo Dome show as a GFW event, we'll finally be getting the PPV in the States. I don't see a bad thing about this? Not like Jarrett is going to insert himself into New Japan's show. It'll probably be a cross promotional PPV, matches from each company. I'm perfectly fine with this.

I still think GWF could work best as a WWEN for the indies and Japan. create a broadcast platform for all the companies and have quarterly PPV events with an established touring world champion.

• Like 1

New Japan fans also can watch New Japan live via the legal stream, so its not really doing anything special for current New Japan fans.  I can't imagine that selling very well at all, hopefully the stream will still be available since I would prefer that but I'm afraid they'd just do the PPV instead.

Per Mike Johnson

If you have been waiting word on when Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling will produce their first events, this should make you happy. If you are a fan of New Japan Pro Wrestling, this story should really make you happy.

PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources in the PPV industry that a Global Force Wrestling PPV event is on carriers' schedules for 1/4/15. Of course, 1/4 is the date of what has been the biggest Japanese event of the year for seemingly forever, the annual New Japan Pro Wrestling Tokyo Dome event.

It would appear that Jarrett's company has brokered a deal to bring the Tokyo Dome show to United States PPV for the first time. Sources indicate that the deal and all marketing for the PPV would be branded GFW, not New Japan.

Jarrett, who announced plans to launch GFW the day after Wrestlemania 30, was revealed as a member of the Bullet Club faction in NJPW recently. Jarrett departed TNA in December 2013, although he remains a minority owner in the company.

When reached this afternoon via telephone, Jarrett declined to comment on this story.

Yeah... I don't think New Japan fans will be happy

Why? Besides branding the Tokyo Dome show as a GFW event, we'll finally be getting the PPV in the States. I don't see a bad thing about this? Not like Jarrett is going to insert himself into New Japan's show. It'll probably be a cross promotional PPV, matches from each company. I'm perfectly fine with this.

I still think GWF could work best as a WWEN for the indies and Japan. create a broadcast platform for all the companies and have quarterly PPV events with an established touring world champion.

Sooo what TNA should have been from its inception.

• Like 1

Well, considering Wrestle Kingdom's Main is gonna be Styles vs Okada, it makes sense for Jarrett to promote it on PPV in the States. Stream is awesome and all, but if I can get a broadcast signal in HD for about the same price, I could go for that.

I guess they must have decided that a former world champion legitimate cage fighter working with the company's top babyface inside the company's signature cage might have been too successful or something.

I think the real problem is having a PPV called Hell in a Cell that requires the titular match in a dead zone month. Hell in a Cell should only happen at the organic end of a feud, not necessarily because October.

I agree with you 110% on that. HIAC should be a feud-ending extra boost to a regular PPV, not a "themed" PPV in and of itself. But given the way Brock/Cena has gone down so far, the logical ending taking place at HIAC seemed to be a happy accident.

Well, they booked themselves into a corner with this rematch. They clearly want to keep the title on Brock and keep him strong, but they also don't want Cena to eat another pinfall to Brock. Assuming they aren't stupid enough to put the belt right back on Cena, but they're also too worried about Cena losing again and looking weak in the eyes of his fanbase, the mistake was running Cena/Brock III for the gold at NoC instead of maybe waiting to do it after Brock finally loses and letting Cena beat him in the rematch there.

NoC should have really been a placeholder one-month feud for Brock. Toss him in there against Ambrose or Ziggler, let him win a fairly dominant fifteen minute main where the opponent is never really competitive, but takes a load of punishment and gets the crowd behind him just for taking so much of a beating, and move on to your next feud for Lesnar for HiaC. 

Instead, they run a match in the main event of NoC that logically should lead to a final cell match that they can't do because they can't do another fuck finish the very next month in a one-on-one match, but they also have no desire to have either guy go over the other right now. 

I guess there is one more option - do a triple threat at HiaC where the third guy eats the pinfall for Brock so Cena loses without really losing, but then you're shoe-horning another guy into what was really a one-on-one feud where Cena needs to come back and beat the dominant monster, which is less-than-optimal narrative structure.

Let's not forget the issue with the briefcase.  If the title is not being defended then when will Seth cash in?

Surely someone here has speculated that ultimately Angle would be brought back for Rusev??

It has been brought up, but considering current day policy and Angle's injuries/love for the pain pills, it's doubtful they'd bite.

Midcarder, upper midcarder probably irrelevant in my question - but rather, he was so protected but never really moved anywhere else on the card than that gatekeeper role from about the time he first won the IC title in 93 till he left in 1996.

Best time for it was when he left - would have much preferred Shawn vs. Razor - tiebreaker ladder match for the title leading to whatever from there -

Excuse me for changing the subject but I'm awake at 5AM and I'm thinking about how awesome Gary Hart would be as Brock Lesnar's manager.

"Johnny Cena, I know what kind of man you really are. I know the darkness inside that heart; I can see it through your eyes, Johnny Cena."

Not that Heyman isn't amazing, just saying.

• Like 2

Excuse me for changing the subject but I'm awake at 5AM and I'm thinking about how awesome Gary Hart would be as Brock Lesnar's manager.

"Johnny Cena, I know what kind of man you really are. I know the darkness inside that heart; I can see it through your eyes, Johnny Cena."

Not that Heyman isn't amazing, just saying.

God, Gary Hart would have been amazing as Brock's manager. Only difference between Heyman and Hart is if Triple H got in Gary's face you damn well know that Gary wouldn't cower like Heyman did.

You know, we kinda goofed on Jarrett traveling to all these different shows and his "database" and what-not, but GFW might be a pretty clever idea if marketed properly. Maybe it's like an NWA-like "banner" or governing body for NJPW, AAA, WWC, and various mid-size sub-ROH level indies around the US and Canada. Imagine streaming, for example, like the ECWA Super 8 tournament or one of those PWG shows I keep hearing so much about. Given the fact that a lot of the infrastructure for a lot of these promotions is already in place, GFW might actually have a chance at being profitable. Maybe the plan could be to have like 10-15 contracted guys who travel around these international promotions. So you'd watch the NJPW dome show, but then in addition to the usual guys from the "home promotion,"  you'd have like 3-4 GFW branded matches with a mix of whatever super-indy dudes WWE hasn't scooped up yet, and some former WWE/TNA talent who have *somewhat* of a name, but aren't old enough that they can't go anymore. Think guys like Jarrett himself, AJ Styles, Shelton Benjamin, John Morrison, Chris Masters, Low Ki, Homicide, Bad Influence,  Carlito, Drew Mac, X-Pac, Justin Credible, Tommy Dreamer. Maybe you bring in a Nash or an Angle or a Foley as your token authority figure (God, I hate that trend so much and wish it would die, but it might be nice to have someone who can do promos in English for the US crowd watching these matches from Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc.) I read that the Dudleyz, Joe, and the Wolves TNA deals are up soon, too.