DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Crossface Chickenwing is my favorite submission. Dean Ambrose busted one out during a Shield match and it looked so crisp and sweet. His forward DDT is pretty good, but he could go full crazy Bob Backlund just locking guys in the chickenwing whild screaming gibberish at them.

I used to love the spear when it was Goldberg's move. He would just kill guys with it. I pretty much hate the move when it's done by anyone not named Goldberg or Rhyno.

Worst finisher for me has to be The Stroke/Skull Crushing Finale/Forward Russian Legsweep and variations thereof. I hate that move so much.

Both of these. Goldberg and Rhyno's spears were great because they were tackling the shit out of.people, not giving them a running gentle embrace like everyone now does. Reigns seems like he lays it in about 1 out of ten times.

The Stroke/SCF just looks so SAWFT. I'm of the belief that a guys finish should be their most devastating looking or coolest looking move. That may be the case with Jarrett, but Miz should use that kneeling DDT. That's easily his best move.

Test was a hero in my circle of friends for trying to kill people with his foot. We named his finish "Das Boot" and it always got a massive pop.

Have to put in a nomination for Billy Kidman's Shooting Star. As someone who didnt get any Lucha/Japanese stuff the SSP blew my mind as a 13 year old kid.

Worst move (not already mentioned) - Super Kick.

HBK used it in some amazing spots but every damn indy wrestler used this at one point and it was annoying as fuck to watch people trade super kicks like knife edge chops.

I used to love the spear when it was Goldberg's move. He would just kill guys with it. I pretty much hate the move when it's done by anyone not named Goldberg or Rhyno.

Worst finisher for me has to be The Stroke/Skull Crushing Finale/Forward Russian Legsweep and variations thereof. I hate that move so much.

Both of these. Goldberg and Rhyno's spears were great because they were tackling the shit out of.people, not giving them a running gentle embrace like everyone now does. Reigns seems like he lays it in about 1 out of ten times.

The Stroke/SCF just looks so SAWFT. I'm of the belief that a guys finish should be their most devastating looking or coolest looking move. That may be the case with Jarrett, but Miz should use that kneeling DDT. That's easily his best move.

They do the spear that way because they don't want to kill themselves and the crowd doesn't seem to notice the difference.

Sorry rov I missed it. It must have popped up between my post-lunch work poop and my "all my friends are wifed up and out to dinner, let me check DVDVR" looks

I wonder what percentage of rovert's posts are telling people he has already posted something in another thread.

Can people here reply without throwing a strop? It wasn't posted in another thread. It was discussed on 2 of the last 3 pages. Stop overreacting.

Man, maybe this is some kind of dysfunction on my part but I thought about it and my favorite finishes are all roll-ups. Not "roll-ups turned into doofy looking bumps," just... fucking... roll-ups.

A quick list of the top five roll-ups as recorded by sleep-deprived gut-sick me right now:

1. Casitas/La Magistral. Even The Undertaker has done it. 

2. Gannosuke Clutch. Entirely personal preference, but I pop for this every time. It's so ornate that I never expect to see it.

3. Crucifix. I think this is totally underutilized, but it's the ultimate David Vs. Goliath roll-up. 

4. Backslide. Total throwback. Like saying Dark Side of the Moon is the best album. Maybe, but it's too obvious.

5. Rolling Cradle, any variation. Always funny. Always.

Honorable Mention: That weird-ass anti-gravity sunset flip Guerrero Maya Jr. did one time. I thought it was in his match against Negro Casas from 2012 but I just scanned through it and didn't see it. Basically a dude tried to sunset flip him, but Maya reached down and grabbed the other dude's arms to pull him up a little. Then he like rolled forwards and his heels dug under them and he ended up sunset flipping a dude who was basically flat on the ground. It wasn't a finish or even a fall finish, but it is the craziest roll-up I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 1

Sorry rov I missed it. It must have popped up between my post-lunch work poop and my "all my friends are wifed up and out to dinner, let me check DVDVR" looks

I wonder what percentage of rovert's posts are telling people he has already posted something in another thread.

Can people here reply without throwing a strop? It wasn't posted in another thread. It was discussed on 2 of the last 3 pages. Stop overreacting.

I was being genuine dude-- I legitimately think that's why I missed it

I just saw this link on reddit. It's a conversation on another board about Cena in 2003, and with the benefit of hindsight, it's really, really interesting.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/lofiversion/index.php?t30256.html

Nothing beats the guy who said simply "Disgustingly Average." I mean, he wasn't doing stuff like the Shawn or Umaga match for another 3 or 4 years, so I honestly don't even remember having a hugely strong opinion on him at the time. I DID buy that sweet "Word Life" t-shirt, though.

I'm not going to read all that shit, but I really hope the guy who wrote

When Sting debuts, just watch them give Cena the gimmick of Sting's personal "Little Stinger".

is sort of right 11 years later. There's also something sad that in 2003 that guy was probably like "Any minute now Sting will be here. I mean they gotta bring Sting in." And then a couple months later he signed with TNA.

• Like 1

We've probably covered this before, but: most favorite/least favorite finishing moves? CMLL just reminded me that the Canadian Destroyer exists and that has to be the worst. Best is a bit tougher, but I just remembered that Hansen is my favorite wrestler, so...

Actually an over/under on how many of us here share this exact same opinion would be more interesting

Adam Cole's version of the Candian Destroyer is even worse. And I like Adam Cole overall.

With the Reigns injury, I'd take the opportunity to give someone like Zayn a little rub and let him work Rollins.  The options are have Rollins take a forfeit win, or let him work a match that means nothing storyline wise.  Might as well get something out of it.

With the Reigns injury, I'd take the opportunity to give someone like Zayn a little rub and let him work Rollins.  The options are have Rollins take a forfeit win, or let him work a match that means nothing storyline wise.  Might as well get something out of it.

Yeah but if Rollins cashes in (assuming Cena's winning), his being fresh after a forfeit would make a whole new storyline.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/512976420247961600

"You've waited long enough... Prepare yourself for the next generation. 9/22/2014"

So, what's the skinny on this? My hypotheses:

1) Something to do with the new video game

2) NXT call-ups/half-baked invasion angle

3) WWE trying to generate interest with no clear idea of anything they're actually going to do come Monday.

What say y'all?

#4) "We had a cool surprise planned for RAW, but we're doing a complete rewrite 4 hours before the show, and we're not doing that thing now"

• Like 4

A newer indy group in my area has Michael Elgin vs. Uhaa Nation booked for a show in October.  Haven't seen much of Nation in recent years, interested to see how that'll go.

Which one?

High Risk Wrestling, they ran at the Bel-Clair Fairgrounds in Belleville a few months ago.  Lot of names on the card like ACH and Elgin, but didn't draw too well.

Spoilered for size:

1383436_807451212639354_8480088248099400

Man the WWE is just got the worst luck this year, Bryan needs surgery shortly after Mania, BNB goes down with and injury, now Reigns super push, whether he was ready for it or not, gets hampered by the injury bug.

This is another reason to bring back good ole squash matches with jobbers, you don't need your stars going out and having hard hitting, though really good, matches on a weekly basis. Let some guys just squash some local dude.

• Like 3