DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I know this is blasphemy but I've been watching all the old Nitros starting with Hall's first appearance and I can't stand Bobby Heenan on commentary. I never saw him in the WWF outside of little youtube matches here and there so I'm sure I'm missing some childhood nostalgia but him telegraphing the Hogan turn at BATB is a perfect example of what he does constantly. He's constantly assuming and telegraphing what the heels are gonna do next (All he's talking about in the post turn Nitros is "How many more of them are there!?!" like Jesus dude, I never would've thought there'd be more). Then of course he commentates matches like crap and sounds so phony when he's "concerned", whatever.

That's some really shitty news. I really liked Sean O'Haire in the dying days of WCW and loved his devil's advocate character and vignettes.

Felt Plaumbo, O'Haire, and Shane Helms were the biggest losers talent-wise from WCW dying- felt like each of them would have been big stars in WCW had continued- they were getting over very well.

I think Shane Helms would take 9 years of employment, WWE cruiserweight title reign (Apparently the longest one in history?!), WWE tag title reign, and a feud with The Rock over whatever would have happened in WCW over the next few years.

You guys would give the shittiest eulogies. 

"I think we're all gonna miss Sean. Except for his shitty finisher. Seriously it was terrible. And I hope he remembers to shake hands with St. Peter at the gates, because otherwise he's gonna be a heat magnet."

I've learned that when someone dies, you're better off not reading past the first few remarks on their death thread, because someone is always an asshole by page two.

So saying that a wrestler's finisher sucked is "being an asshole"?  Look, I know people shouldn't speak ill of the recently deceased, but it's not like somebody said "He was a prick who deserved to die".  Someone said he possibly had heat over not shaking someone's hand and someone else said he had a terrible finisher.  I'd hardly call either "being an asshole".  I mean, because he died, do we now have to pretend like his finisher was really good and he was a great wrestler?  No one's insulting him as a person, but people are trying to establish, as one does when someone passes, his role in the grand scheme of wrestling.

As a pro wrestler, he had a good look, an interesting gimmick and was really athletic, but he always felt to me like a guy who missed a key part of his training.  Like someone saw the Seanton Bomb and went "Let's get this guy on TV" and he missed a whole schwack of lessons on building a match, psychology and the like.  Because I saw him quite a bit over that last year and bit of WCW and I can't honestly remember a single match of his.  Not one.  I think there was a lot of potential in there but he just never found the mark.

That's some really shitty news. I really liked Sean O'Haire in the dying days of WCW and loved his devil's advocate character and vignettes.

Felt Plaumbo, O'Haire, and Shane Helms were the biggest losers talent-wise from WCW dying- felt like each of them would have been big stars in WCW had continued- they were getting over very well.

I think Shane Helms would take 9 years of employment, WWE cruiserweight title reign (Apparently the longest one in history?!), WWE tag title reign, and a feud with The Rock over whatever would have happened in WCW over the next few years.

You guys would give the shittiest eulogies. 

"I think we're all gonna miss Sean. Except for his shitty finisher. Seriously it was terrible. And I hope he remembers to shake hands with St. Peter at the gates, because otherwise he's gonna be a heat magnet."

I've learned that when someone dies, you're better off not reading past the first few remarks on their death thread, because someone is always an asshole by page two.

So saying that a wrestler's finisher sucked is "being an asshole"?  Look, I know people shouldn't speak ill of the recently deceased, but it's not like somebody said "He was a prick who deserved to die".  Someone said he possibly had heat over not shaking someone's hand and someone else said he had a terrible finisher.  I'd hardly call either "being an asshole".  I mean, because he died, do we now have to pretend like his finisher was really good and he was a great wrestler?  No one's insulting him as a person, but people are trying to establish, as one does when someone passes, his role in the grand scheme of wrestling.

As a pro wrestler, he had a good look, an interesting gimmick and was really athletic, but he always felt to me like a guy who missed a key part of his training.  Like someone saw the Seanton Bomb and went "Let's get this guy on TV" and he missed a whole schwack of lessons on building a match, psychology and the like.  Because I saw him quite a bit over that last year and bit of WCW and I can't honestly remember a single match of his.  Not one.  I think there was a lot of potential in there but he just never found the mark.

jokes. just jokes. 

Too bad we live in an era where they don't bother coming up with elaborate ways to explain guys leaving for long periods. 

The whodunnit angle with Steve Austin was interesting.

Was it? Rikishi being the guy? And unstoppable badass Stone Cold Steve Austin being out for nearly a year after being clipped by a car, in the same time period HHH had a much, much more serious accident with a car and was back the next night?

I thought the angle itself was fine until it was revealed Rikishi was the guy. It kinda suffered from the same hype as the Higher Power thing where whoever it turned out to be was never gonna live up to the hype. I also thought the idea of HHH being behind it did make sense from a storyline perspective but the whole car/forklift thing where he came back unscathed the next night was absolutely dumber than dumb.

I know this is blasphemy but I've been watching all the old Nitros starting with Hall's first appearance and I can't stand Bobby Heenan on commentary. I never saw him in the WWF outside of little youtube matches here and there so I'm sure I'm missing some childhood nostalgia but him telegraphing the Hogan turn at BATB is a perfect example of what he does constantly. He's constantly assuming and telegraphing what the heels are gonna do next (All he's talking about in the post turn Nitros is "How many more of them are there!?!" like Jesus dude, I never would've thought there'd be more). Then of course he commentates matches like crap and sounds so phony when he's "concerned", whatever.

WCW Bobby Heenan was much different than WWF Bobby Heenan. In WCW, Heenan came off as not giving a damn (he probably didn't, especially as time went on) and was apparently intoxicated while working on a frequent enough basis. WWF Bobby Heenan was ridiculously entertaining.

Re: Austin

I would've just had it be Triple H from day one. If you look at the angles going on at the time, it made sense for Triple H to run down Austin to get him out of the main event and out of the way so he could go on to be THE GAME. The Rock would've been an interesting choice too, especially since he was arguably the biggest beneficiary from Austin being gone. 

The follow through was the problem, not the fact that they did it. The hit and run at least provided a reason for mega badass Steve Austin to disappear for a year. 

And I thought Heenan was still decent in 95, he did a good job conveying concern for The Giant at Halloween Havoc. The biggest issue for him is that he legitimately did not like Tony Schiavone and he had no one good to play off of. McMahon and Monsoon were great at taking Heenan's jokes and running with them, the WCW guys were not. In fact, Schiavone would no-sell them half the time. I can see where Bobby would become frustrated.

Never had a problem with the way Heenan called the turn at BATB 96; any time a babyface's partner comes out with a chair while the ref is out you know he's going to get turned on and waffled and the announcers are going to feign exaggerated surprise as if they're thick as shit and never watch the sport they're supposed to be experts in

a career Hogan-hater like Heenan showing a moderate amount of in-character foresight made an unusual amount of sense in that context; also the actual turn it was foreshadowing happened like 15 seconds later anyway

The dynamic with Schiavone was kinda off though, seemed like they were never really on the same page about the story they wanted to present, always pedantically niggling each other over the wrestlers' fictional motivations/strategy etc; don't recall it ever getting anywhere near as annoying as 2011 Heel Michael Cole-led booths though tbh

• Like 2

It's been said five billion times but the current Raw announce team is unbearable. If I can add anything it's how similar they are too the Access Hollywood crowd in the phoniness and nonstop pathetic shilling.

If I was to meet Vince or Trips, this is the one thing I'd point out. Nothing personal to any of them, but something has got to give.

I too have been watching all of the Nitros since they went on WWE Network. I started with World War 3 1995. Then watched all the shows in order, including Nitro, Clash of the Champions & the PPVs. I'm about to watch Superbrawl 1996. I'm not even up to Scott Hall showing up yet. I've seen Madusa throw away the WWF Woman's Title so far but it's mostly been a lot of Hogan, Savage, Flair, Sting & Luger.

That being said, Bobby the Brain Heenan has been terrible. He worked when he was being funny in WWF & working with Gorilla. He was a great manager too. In WCW though, he's really bad. Like you said, he does things that take away from the match. He cussed on the air over Brian Pillman touching him, got up & started walking away & whatnot, which distracted from the match. He also does this super annoying thing where he just screams "OHH!" whenever someone does a big move...and once you notice it you hear it every time after that and it really grates on your nerves.

Jesse Ventura was infinitely better as a color commentator.

I too have been watching all of the Nitros since they went on WWE Network. I started with World War 3 1995. Then watched all the shows in order, including Nitro, Clash of the Champions & the PPVs. I'm about to watch Superbrawl 1996. I'm not even up to Scott Hall showing up yet. I've seen Madusa throw away the WWF Woman's Title so far but it's mostly been a lot of Hogan, Savage, Flair, Sting & Luger.

That being said, Bobby the Brain Heenan has been terrible. He worked when he was being funny in WWF & working with Gorilla. He was a great manager too. In WCW though, he's really bad. Like you said, he does things that take away from the match. He cussed on the air over Brian Pillman touching him, got up & started walking away & whatnot, which distracted from the match. He also does this super annoying thing where he just screams "OHH!" whenever someone does a big move...and once you notice it you hear it every time after that and it really grates on your nerves.

Jesse Ventura was infinitely better as a color commentator.

Did he not just have neck surgery for a broken neck going all the way back to 1983? I could understand why he'd be jumpy about protecting his neck with a guy like Pillman around. 

TMZ is reporting that O'Haire committed suicide.

No they didn't they just said he hanged himself from his bed post. It could sexual misadventure.

Yes since that happens more often than people committing suicide by hanging...stop it

• Like 2

Never had a problem with the way Heenan called the turn at BATB 96; any time a babyface's partner comes out with a chair while the ref is out you know he's going to get turned on and waffled and the announcers are going to feign exaggerated surprise as if they're thick as shit and never watch the sport they're supposed to be experts in

a career Hogan-hater like Heenan showing a moderate amount of in-character foresight made an unusual amount of sense in that context; also the actual turn it was foreshadowing happened like 15 seconds later anyway

I think it came out a while ago (I don't have sources) that the announcers were in the dark about the turn, so Heenan's call was just a natural reaction for him as the I-hate-Hogan guy.