DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The nWo did age really poorly. Hogan did have heat, but that was just WCW crowds who hated him already turning that hatred up a notch. I don't know if Hogan really changed much about himself as a character in terms of his delivery or goofy weirdness, though he did change his offense to back rakes, eye pokes, belt shots, and stalling, which was actually interesting depending on the context. 

Where the nWo angle goes wrong, at least for me, is when they are setting up a renegade group led by Sting that included a recently-fired Randy Savage and a DDP that was on the outs with his old friends Hall and Nash. That looks REALLY interesting, and they quash it by turning Savage heel on DDP for no reason and having him join up with the guys that tortured him for months. Even something like justifying it by saying that he had his problems with Hogan, but he'd never want to be on the same side as that son-of-a-bitch Ric Flair would have done a bit to make the turn make sense, but really, they should have just run with Sting gathering an army of outcasts that they had going there. That opens up some interesting matchups and storyline possibilities.

The other thing that drags this down is that I've seen it and already know that the nWo doesn't get killed off at Starrcade '97. The nWo needed to be put down completely at that point and milking the angle beyond that was just awful, especially that Wolfpac/Black-and-White garbage. Sting joining the nWo was the worst - that never, ever, ever should have happened, but since they needed stuff to do with the nWo in 1998...

The reaction Savage got for his sit-down protest on Nitro and when Sting joined him was nuclear and one of WCW's better executed angles. The fact that they made it a distant memory by not building on it and having Savage rejoin the nWo says it all, really. Love the idea of an anti-nWo but not quite part of WCW faction. They hinted at it strongly but never went anywhere with it. Shame.

The nWo had some heat left on them after Starrcade but there certainly should've been an end game with them at some point. I liked Sullivan's idea on a recent shoot (I think a timeline of '96 WCW) where Hogan loses clean to Stinger and goes insane watching the footage in a dark room with multiple TVs over and over again with Hall and Nash mocking him, setting up a crazy Hogan face turn IIRC. Sullivan has such a tremendous mind for angles and characters.

• Like 1

Even when I was a kid watching, the moment that I was like 'yeah they should have lost here' was the War Games with the Horsemen. Curt Hennig joining the Horsemen was the coolest fucking thing in the world to me and him turning to join the nWo was juuust stupid. 

Love that Nash was pooping on hogan being lame, but in that same NWO promo vid, we get Nash turning to the camera and exclaiming "WE CALL IT ARMAGEDDON. THE GENESIS HAS BEGUN. IT'S A NEW BEGINNING."

Look at the adjective mother fucker.

• Like 3

Even when I was a kid watching, the moment that I was like 'yeah they should have lost here' was the War Games with the Horsemen. Curt Hennig joining the Horsemen was the coolest fucking thing in the world to me and him turning to join the nWo was juuust stupid.

I was a freshman in college then, and late that Sunday night, after working on a paper I checked out the results, leading to my first "Fuck this company" moment with WCW. That was about as clear a sign as possible that there was no interest in pushing Flair or the Horsemen. That happened in Asheville, NC too and may have been the last Fall Brawl they had there.

Didn't some fan jump the cage and get beat up during Piper/Hogan (AKA Age in the Cage)? That is absolutely the only thing I recall from that match.

Don't forget about Savage missing an axe-handle from about 30'.

I believe that was what finally finished Savage's knees once and for all. I don't know who thought that was a good idea from a guy that was 45...

I believe that was what finally finished Savage's knees once and for all. I don't know who thought that was a good idea from a guy that was 45...

Probably the guy who dresses like this:

6246621.jpg

When the madness takes hold, the madness takes hold.

• Like 13

Probably the guy who dresses like this:

6246621.jpg

When the madness takes hold, the madness takes hold.

Savage woke up that morning and said to himself, "I want to look like a Good and Plenty. Oh Yeah. Dig It."

I remember an awesome Bret Hart rant on Doug Dillenger from a few years back if someone knows where to find it?

Tried to Google it and got only this from Lance Storm's website:

Q: In Bret Hart's autobiography, he claims that Doug Dillinger would sleep on the job while fans stole Bret's jackets. Do you have any funny stories about Dillinger being derelict in his duties?

A: I don’t recall dealing with him much, so no.

So it's probably in his book. I only got part of the way through it about 4 years ago, but my ex brought it back to the library before I could finish it, so I didn't even get close to the WCW portion of his career.

Dude, eleven year old me was HORRIFIED when Flair got his head smashed, that cemented forever the NWO as scumbags....until the Wolfpack, TOOOOO SWEEEEEET!

I was 9 years olf when that happened, and I was a huge NWO fan, but I remember when they showed the pictures of Flair in surgery the next night on Nitro (which years later I read were real pictures-- of Flair getting a facelift) I had wondered if perhaps they went too far (It didn't look that bad during the PPV, so I was just thrilled that Hennig was on our team). But Hennig with the sleeveless Nature Boy robe was just way too awesome for me to start rooting for the babyfaces

And now word is we're going to get Jerry Springer inserted into this Bella Twins nonsense. I am sure I am not the only one who is oh so overjoyed at this news.

Thanks Vince for transporting us back to early 90s trash TV. So appreciate it, ya senile, out of touch old fuck.

Morton Downey Jr. turned them down?

• Like 2