DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: SEPTEMBER

Dolfan in NYC

Mike Fiers proceeded to hit Stanton's pinch batter.  Which somehow was called a fucking strike for the K to end the inning.

Casey McGehee did his best George Brett impression.

Mike Redmond then did his best Earl Weaver.

Both are gone.  Marlins retaliate the next inning and plunks Carlos Gomez and the DeSclafani gets tossed.

Fucking bullshit.

18f7bdG.gif

Yeah I would not recommend watching Giancarlo Stanton getting hit the face tonight against the Brewers. Blood all over the place.   I guess the only bright spot is that it was only 88 MPH pitch but damn that was ugly   :(  

I can't imagine its makes that much difference in feeling between 88 and 93 when you get hit in the face by a ball. . . .

And to show how much "luck" plays a part in it too

Chase Headley took a 96 mph fastball off the chin last night too. He most likely suffered a broken jaw but didn't lose consciousness and walked off the field on his own power.

Stanton has "lacerations, multiple facial fractures, and dental damage".

Unknown how much time he misses.  I'm assuming if he goes on the DL, he's done for the year, and so are the Marlins faint playoff hopes.

Q0DTMu5.jpg

If a player swings at a ball that hits him, it's a dead ball and a strike. This isn't some sort of silly thing that never happens - Anthony Rizzo swung and missed at two pitches that hit him in the same at bat back in May.

I love how outraged he was.  If you get chumped that bad twice in a row, just let it go and hope everyone forgets.  Don't stretch the moment out.

//grantland.com/the-triangle/st-louis-cardinals-infuriating-playoff-run/

I’d feel this way about the Cardinals even if they didn’t exude the smug self-entitlement that comes from their combination of winning and, at least from a narrative perspective, Playing the Game the Right Way. Their church was built on the rock of Tony La Russa, who is Elmer Gantry in a mullet and transition lenses. Doing TLR’s evil bidding: Scott Rolen, who combined greatness and prickliness in equal measure; Albert Pujols, who was the greatest player of the interregnum between Bonds and Trout, and who had the public personality of a bowl of oatmeal when he wasn’t being used as a political prop by Glenn Beck; Yadier Molina, who’s the greatest defensive catcher of his generation, and who has an idiotic neck tattoo; and Chris Carpenter, who was likewise great, but who was a goatee away from being the Roy Halladay of a dystopian multiverse. Though the names on the backs of the jerseys have changed, that character lives on today. The Cardinals are the kind of organization that would bend over backward to tell you it’s the name on the front that matters anyway.

You left out so much from that piece:

- "They’re probably the best-run organization in the game,"

- "They’re so beautiful and so perfect"

- "the Cardinals [are] too great to exist in our flawed universe"

- "Cardinals fans probably aren’t as bad as Steelers fans, Cowboys fans, or fans of any team from New York, Philadelphia, or Boston,"

- "can you blame Cardinals fans for thinking that their team is touched by the hand of God?"

- "A team doesn’t win as much as the Cardinals do unless it’s blessed."

- "The Cardinals are a near-perfect organization with exciting players and truly bomb-ass uniforms,"

God I love this month.

Listening to John Kruk and Curt Schilling calling a Yankee game is absolute torture. They might as well just come out and say they hate the Yankees. John Kruk had the nerve to say that Kelly Johnson didn't hit with the Yankees because he was exposed by the rest of the lineup, not because Kelly Johnson is a light hitting utility player with some occasional pop. Kruk also knocked the Yankees for not having good speed on the bases while McCann and Teixeria were on base. Who the fuck is John Kruk to knock anybody for not having speed? Curt Schilling takes a dig questioning what Alex Rodriguez is without cheating. Schilling is the one of the last people that should question anybody about steroid use.They make no mention of the pitchers that have stepped up for New York, like Brandon McCarthy and Shane Greene while others have been injured, while verbally fellating the entire Orioles team. How about mentioning Chris Davis, who has hit .196 this year and just got popped for amphetamines or Ubaldo Jimenez and his disappointing 4-9 record and 4.96 ERA? I'm so glad I have the YES network and MLB network and don't need ESPN. In conclusion, Fuck Espn and their baseball coverage.

It's an anti-New York bias. They talk as if the Yankees are a 60 win team. It isn't just this year. I watch a lot of out of market games thanks to MLB network and Fox Sports 1 and the Yankees tv announcers do a much better job than other teams of not coming off as homers.