DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER PHOTO THREAD

king19.jpg

If the wrestling thing hadn't worked out, Lawler would've been a superstar for his artwork. Dude could and still can draw his ass off.

I wonder why WWE hasn't capitalized on this more over the years. 

king19.jpg

If the wrestling thing hadn't worked out, Lawler would've been a superstar for his artwork. Dude could and still can draw his ass off.

I wonder why WWE hasn't capitalized on this more over the years. 

I love the someone had posted pictures when heel Jerry Lawler was "buying" space in the Memphis wrestling programs from the Arena so he could run cartoons of him making fun of the babyfaces:

*EDIT* like from his website:

bookart1.jpg

• Like 1

king19.jpg

Are there really a lot of "superstar" caricature artists in the world? It seems more likely he'd have had a long career drawing the visitors at the nearest Six Flags. Not knocking the style - I have a friend who does zombie-style caricatures that are amazing - but superstar might be pushing it.

• Like 1

king19.jpg

Are there really a lot of "superstar" caricature artists in the world? It seems more likely he'd have had a long career drawing the visitors at the nearest Six Flags. Not knocking the style - I have a friend who does zombie-style caricatures that are amazing - but superstar might be pushing it.

He could have got a little work drawing movie parodies for Mad Magazine, or one of the knockoffs like Cracked. And I would bet he's able to adjust his style enough to draw other things besides caricatures. He reads enough comic books that he's probably learned a little bit about graphic storytelling just through osmosis.

king19.jpg

Has anyone ever seen any full comic pages by Lawler? I wonder how strong his storytelling skills are? At the least, he could've been a solid inker for Marvel in the 70's. Based on that Conan illustration, he seems to to be heavily influenced by John Buscema.