DVDVR Message Board

[CBMT] Marvel Bracket Round One # 4

odessasteps

FF was less disappointing than SM3 given that it wasn't following Spider-Man 2, but it was also much, much worse. 

Spider-Man 2 vs. Last Stand should basically look a lot like Brock/Cena from Summerslam, but without Last Stand getting as much offense as John did.

LAST STAND pisses me off because, aside from being shitty and shitting all over the movies that came beforehand, it also poisoned the well for some good X-Men movies that came afterwards. Especially THE WOLVERINE. If that movie had come out after DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, it would've made a lot more money than it did.

In some ways, I am forgiving towards Last Stand in ways I am not to some other movies.  I mean, they didn't hire Ratner until about 10 months before the film opened, after Singer walked away, and Whedon, Vaughn, and another director or two turned them down.  He was shooting the film before the script was even finished, and there are unconfirmed reports that he was at times literally directing two scenes at once, one in front of him, and one on a monitor by cellphone, because of the absurdly rushed timeline.

On the other hand, not much in Ratner's career indicates the film would have been much better if he had twice the time.

And, of course, it's up against Spider-Man 2, which is, for my money, the best superhero film ever made.

• Like 1