DVDVR Message Board

[CBMT] Marvel Bracket Round One # 3

odessasteps

I would have voted Incredible Hulk over either First Class (Which is only half of a good movie; the lack of development for the kids and Emma Frost being the worst actress in the history of comic book movies, apparently, drag it down) or Thor 2 (Which has its moments but isn't really great). I don't know if I Can vote for it over Days of Future Past.

I think the Tim Roth w/steroids vs Hulk scene is one I like more than anything in DoFP but I don't know if I can even sympathy vote it.

First Class is a little overrated, and Dark World might be a tad underrated, but it's still an easy X-Men win.

Blade II is fine, but I've never been a big fan of the series, whereas I'm one of the few people that liked Hulk the day it came out, and still do.  Hell, if anything, it's daring structure is even more interesting now, given how much more of a formula there is for modern superhero movies.

DoFP was great, and Incredible Hulk is easily the worst of the Marvel Studios films (the only one I would actually call bad) so that's easy.

Rolling right along and...  Oh fuck you.  I'm taking Spider-Man, I guess.  But if I take the extended r-rated version of The Wolverine into account, it's a damn coin toss.  Fuck.

FIRST CLASS vs. THE DARK WORLD really highlights the difference between hiring a real director to do your movie and hiring...some dude who can get the work done on time and on budget.

FIRST CLASS is not without its problems, but damn, does it have style for days, courtesy of Matthew Vaughn. Every frame of that movie is carefully composed. Every scene has something visually interesting going on, even if it's just the background. Compare that with the virtually anonymous job Alan Taylor does on Thor 2, and you might as well be looking at the work of an amateur.

I thought Singer did a great job coming back to the series for DOFP, but I regret we won't see anymore of Vaughn's work in the series.

Vaughn's career arc is weird.  From Kick-Ass he moved to X-Men, which made perfect sense.  And he skipped out on directing Kick-Ass 2 (which definitely could have used him) because of X-Men.

But then he skips out on X-Men DoFP to do...  A different movie based on a Mark Millar comic?  Why not just do Kick-Ass 2 then?

Vaughn's career arc is weird.  From Kick-Ass he moved to X-Men, which made perfect sense.  And he skipped out on directing Kick-Ass 2 (which definitely could have used him) because of X-Men.

But then he skips out on X-Men DoFP to do...  A different movie based on a Mark Millar comic?  Why not just do Kick-Ass 2 then?

and we almost had Stardust in the DC bracket, but technically it was a book before it was a comic.

and we almost had Stardust in the DC bracket, but technically it was a book before it was a comic.

Which is good for the Dc bracket, because I'd vote for stardust over any them, save maybe superman ii.