DVDVR Message Board

[CBMT] Marvel Bracket Round One # 2

odessasteps

Okay, matches 6, 7, and 8 are interesting.

I mean, X2 is clearly head and shoulders better than IM3, but the Marvel halo effect could garner it some support.

IM2 vs DAREDEVIL is a good matchup of shitty movies.

THOR/Ray Stevenson Punisher is a fascinating matchup of a classy big budget production that doesn't realize it's a B-movie vs. a trashy B-movie that is fully aware of what it is.

IM2 is by far the worst Marvel Studios movie. That was the moment when they were on the precipice of tipping over into the realm of franchise wanking where the Spider-Man series currently resides. Whether that makes it worse than DAREDEVIL...I dunno. At least it kind of has a plot and character stakes, as opposed to IM2 which is just...stuff happening while we further setup SHIELD and the Avengers and whatnot.

IM2 also committed the sin of casting Mickey Rourke at the height of his comeback and then totally wasting him in a worthless role. At least DD let Farrell and Duncan play.

The DD director's cut solves most of the major problems with the movie (except the massive miscasting of Elektra.  Actually, the massively wrong everything about Elektra)

But it fixes the story issues quite well (hell, it actually explains the whole climatic "the word is out on the Kingpin" bit from the end of the damn movie.)

Someone's gonna have to help me make up my mind on THOR and PUNISHER. I'm pretty down on the Thor series these days, but the first one did give us Hiddleston as Loki, and it's basically a remake of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, which is not without its charms.

WRONG PUNISHER. I think. If you're talking about Harry Heck, that's the Tom Jane Punisher.

That would be an even better matchup: Spirtual successor to 80's sci-fi/fantasy B-movies vs. spiritual successor to 80's action B-movies.

Hopefully X2 advances as it is one of the top ten comic book films maybe ever. The opening scene with Nightcrawler shits on most.

That scene looks incredible to this very day, which is really saying something when you consider both the advancements in CG over the past 10 years and the escalation of spectacle in summer blockbusters. It's proof that you don't have to destroy a city to create an awesome scene that will leave a lasting impression.

Hopefully X2 advances as it is one of the top ten comic book films maybe ever. The opening scene with Nightcrawler shits on most.

That scene looks incredible to this very day, which is really saying something when you consider both the advancements in CG over the past 10 years and the escalation of spectacle in summer blockbusters. It's proof that you don't have to destroy a city to create an awesome scene that will leave a lasting impression.

in a way, the Nightcrawler scene is a parallel to the Quicksilver scene in DOFP, as the thing that you remember most from the picture.

WRONG PUNISHER. I think. If you're talking about Harry Heck, that's the Tom Jane Punisher.

That would be an even better matchup: Spirtual successor to 80's sci-fi/fantasy B-movies vs. spiritual successor to 80's action B-movies.

Speaking of Punisher movies, where's Dolph Lundgren? Best Punisher movie, probably better than at least half the movies in the Marvel bracket, certainly deserving of getting in over a crappy Hulk TV  movie...