DVDVR Message Board

LUCHA Tuesday 7/30/13

thecubsfan

Infierno Del Ring

CMLL Infierno en el Ring 2013: Mr. Aguila vs Shocker vs Rush vs Negro Casas vs Blue Panther vs Rey Bucanero vs Maximo vs super Porky vs Averno vs Rey EscorpionI enjoyed most of this outside of Aguila stumbling around like a drunk shit. Rush v. Casas was great as usual, and I loved the dickishness of Rush leaving first although the match really suffered without him. I liked the Porky and Maximo family hour too, man Aguila really shit the bed though.

This looks like our only Rush or Casas this weeks which is a bummer.

Hijo Del Centurion Negro, Rey Hechicero, Símbolo vs Black Spirit, Charles Lucero, Golden Boy (Monterrey 7/21)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-4wR_kj6vs

HOLY SHIT!!! Phil, forget about Casas for a week, Charles Lucero deserves this week's Badass Old Luchador spotlight. That guy is 1000% cut from the same cloth as Navarro or Terry. Heck, I have no clue who he is but fuck somebody give his kid a videocamera to tape his matches wherever he goes. The stuff he does with Hechicero here is Lucha at it's finest, tremendous opening matwork, and Rey Hechicero is a reverse-Houdini at turning guys into pretzels. Then there's ANOTHER great mat section between Centurion's and Park's kids. I've been soured badly by shitty Dinamitas kids dragging Navarros into crapfests in IWRG, so it was refreshing to see these boys showing real talent. After the first fall it gets really Monterrey chaotic, Lucero starts shit by running in and punching everybody in the face, it goes from there as he and Hechicero continue to waste eachother with punches while guys are smashing eachother with shit, a gigantic trashcan is emptied, dudes taking bumps onto the ramp and brawling into the crowd. I love how Charles loses the advantage making a classic mistake and trying the same punch combo twice. Feels like it deserved a bit of a more epic finish, but it was cool that after the violence and some wonky sequences it goes back to technical one-upmanship.

Mother of god I want to see all these guys on a weekly basis now, if ACM makes it happen I will join Tim Evans and convert to Monterrey-ism. CHARLES LUCERO, MOTHERFUCKERS~!

Black Terry, Pasion Kristal, Veneno vs Bugambilia, Fuerza Guerrera, Oficial AK47 IWRG 7/28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4qvaZ_RoJw

There are some talented dudes in this, but this wasn't much at all. Mostly Veneno doing Baba chops. This is a lumberjack strap match which you would at least hope would be violent, but the straps don't even look nasty. Terry and Fuerza have a minute or two of solid brawling, but you can let this go.

Lucero is the Monterrey version of Navarro/Terry. He's been retired for the last 3 years but came back this year.

They were supposed to do Lucero vs Hechicero this past Sunday. Didn't see results yet.

Lucero vs. Hechicero? Yeah I'm on board with that. I found them to be the highlights though during the second fall I felt  a lot better about all the others. First fall...PFFFF wasn't digging it after Lucero and Hechicero. 2nd is great stuff though. 

Máscara Dorada, Mistico, Valiente vs Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nPY2OV73Sk

I don't know what's up with you guys but I love Averno.  I love Ephesto and Mephisto more.  And I like Dragon Lee Mephisto and Valiente as much as I can allow myself to like a technico.  Third fall is really fun- especially Ephesto and Valiente- though A/E/M need to bring more assbeat if they are going to contend with Arkangel/ Skandolo/ Hooligan. 

Dinamic Black vs Oficial 911 7/28 IWRG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ebd33rNQqU

I liked parts of this a lot, 911 has great execution on his stuff and Black's dives looked good. Thought this got very PWGish at the end as they just traded 2.9 finishers for 10 minutes. Finish was also completely missed by the shitty AYM camera men. Other folks will like this more then me, as this was very 2013 style which isn't my thing

Hijo Del Centurion Negro, Rey Hechicero, Símbolo vs Black Spirit, Charles Lucero, Golden Boy (Monterrey 7/21)

I really liked the first fall and am very excited about the singles match between Lucero and Hechichiro. I agree that Lucero was a revelation, although the other four guys in this match were definitely a little more hit and miss. Not at the level of a high end Terry or Navarro trios, but right up there with a fun mid level match with those guys. I do love discovering awesome guys I have never heard of before, and it does feel like we need to find more Lucero 

I haven't watched that stuff in years. He made the jump to the Nuevo Leon group that had shows under the Lucha Libre Azteca name. I think they pulled the same ref crap on their shows sometimes, but they had Lucero feuding with Blue Panther (and Tigre Universitario too) at some point for the WWA Middleweight title. I'm almost sure you've seen him on those shows as well, but probably all the crap they'd throw on shows is what you remember most.

I'm actually kinda surprised ACM has had good matches lately because the people in charge love the weird side of wrestling so you end up with celebrity matches, mud wrestling and matches with the WWE Fakes.

Devil Rocker, Machine Rocker, Soul Rocker vs Emo Extreme, Eterno, Súper Nova

I deeply await with anticipation the Kings of Rock to take on Emo Extreme, Rey Yacht Rock, and El Hijo de Folk Rock.  Introductions almost hit 8 minutes- like in the old days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJVbhnvj684

Trauma's trios is pretty disappointing (though not really their fault) and I don't think I'd bother watching it.  Comments on others stuff in this thread...

Infierno Del Ring

Pretty much agree with Phil in that this was pretty fun in large party because of Rush and Casas and then it sort of was there after the Rush elimination.  Plenty of fun exchanges, but it's not a match I would  call good.

I loved this, though I don't think I loved it quite as much as KillerSpeed. Lucero was a complete bad ass in this in every respect (demeanor, on the mat, throwing hands), but I actually thought Hechicero was right there with him and he's a guy who has impressed me a ton earlier in the year as well.  All the opening matwork in the first fall looked good and it had a real escalating feel leading to the run of bigger spots toward the end.  Second fall and third fall had one or too moments that I thought looked a bit contrived, but that's a minor criticism because everything from the ramp spots, to the garbage can hurling, to Lucero decking people in the face was super entertaining stuff.  I also absolutely loved the finish as it came off as a definitive "fuck you" from Charley.  

Dinamic Black vs Oficial 911 7/28 IWRG

I'm not super high on the Oficiales in general, though 911 is my favorite of the bunch.  I like Dinamic Black but he strikes me as a guy that wrestles to the level of his competition.  Anyhow I may have liked this less than Phil.  I didn't care for hardly any of the opening stuff.  Third fall had some really great looking spots, but it was definitely very ROHish in how it was laid out.  I wouldn't call it a bad match or anything close to that, but it's not something I would ever want to revisit.  

Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa, Tritón vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus 7/28

Now this I liked a lot.  In a way I could see being disappointed by this because when Virus pops up you expect him to leap out of the pack at you since he is one of the absolute best guys on Earth.  Here he just felt like one of several guys involved in a good match and I don't think he was even the best guy on his team (though Raziel was the star here).  Aside from one awkward spot with Cometa in the first fall, I thought it was a ton of fun, another one of those falls that escalated in the intensity of matwork and exchanges which is something I really like about well done Lucha.  Loved the rudo team as a whole in the second fall, especially the barrage of teamwork that led to winning the caida.  Third fall also came across really hot, had some very nice exchanges, et.  Also if you are a mark for matches with tope's that see a guy sell them by staggering/falling ten feet down an aisle/into the stands this had that to.  So while there were a couple of spots I thought looked really light and unimpactful, as a whole I thought this was very fun and well worth my time.