DVDVR Message Board

Taking suggestions for matches to add to the sites

ditch

I knew this day would come. I just wasn't sure how to handle it.

Having gone through countless DVDs, I'm down to one show left to watch from before this year's G-1 (which, ironically, is from G-1 '99). I'll run out of 'old' content for updates very soon. Since I don't intend to stop updating the site, I've decided to allow YOU~, the puro community, to add matches to the archives.

Caveats:

-I hold veto power. There are plenty of matches I'm neutral about, but others I dislike.

-I'm not going to buy a disc to cap the match. If it's not online and I don't have it already, it will be up to you to provide it.

-You do the write-up, but it only needs to be a few sentences.

So, with that in mind, take a look through theditch.biz/com/us and see if you notice anything you consider a glaring omission. Then, discuss it here and I'll let you know if it passes muster.

Thanks for your help!

I would actually like to see Full G1 Shows from the 90s if that is possible. People keep touting how these last 2 G1's were the best ever and I sorta feel like they are only saying that because they haven't seen many G1s.

Or maybe a Mutoh fest

I feel like I haven't seen as much NJPW Mutoh as I should have. I have seen a lot but I need those obscure house show performances

He had some classics with Tenryu for the IWGP title in the late '90s and was great in the UWFi feud. He was part in some really good tag matches that were included in the DVDVR best of the '80s results that you can find through youtube or Ditch's site I imagine. I have years of NJPW TV to get to but haven't for years but I have seen '92 and '93 and he was as frustratingly inconsistent as you'd imagine. Also, check out he and Chono face off against Hase and Sasaki from November '90.

Seguing back to the topic, I recommend both the '99 Mutoh/Tenryu matches. It's been about a decade since I've seen them but I remember wondering why the hell nobody was talking about them.

Oh, and I also want to thank you, Ditch, for hosting bad ass matches in great VQ. Thanks!

Edit: I REMEMBERED! I was thinking which match I had recently gone on your site to find and was kind of surprised, but not really, to not find it: the Chono/Tenzan vs. Nakanishi/Nishimura 60 minute draw from 2002. You're not a fan? I thought it was a great way of reintroducing the time limit draw title match and, though it dragged at times like most 60 minute matches do, it had a hot crowd and was really enjoyable. Haven't seen it in  years but I loved it at the time. Sweet injury story, too. Nishimura was at his best in that match and they limited Nakanishi's time in the ring and played to his strengths.

That broadway is something I dislike.

-Really, really dry until the injury angle

-Nakanishi returns kinda randomly rather than at a point where Nishimura is in peril

-Nakanishi's selling of the injury sucks (he can't sell the leg to save his life, in general)

-It never seems like they're close to a finish. The crowd gets into things, but I'm not the crowd.

Not to mention that it isn't online.

And yeah... 'obscure Mutoh house show performances' is definitely NOT something anyone needs to see. Dude is the definition of a 'big event' guy.

• Like 1

-Lucha is a whole 'nother ball of wax. For one thing, it's waaaay more likely that a lucha fed would come down on a site like mine, compared to Japan. For another, I generally don't like it.

-There's some FMW matches that would fit, definitely. Sasaki/Miyamoto too.

-Hash/Takada is right in the wheelhouse of what I'm looking for with this. Important, loved by many, and there's nothing I can point at to say "oh that's a big flaw and I hate it". Just didn't jive with me.

So with that in mind, I welcome short write-ups for Sasaki/Miyamoto and Hash/Takada!

Would really like to see a few of Tanahashi's classic defenses in 2011 before NJPW footage was easy to find. Not much to write up about because its nowhere to be found except for many accounts of it being great matches.

Tanahashi vs Nakamura 19.09.2011

Tanahashi vs Naito 10.10.2011

Tanahashi vs Nagata 03.04.2011

I second Tanahashi/Naito and Tanahahi/Nagata. If you think you would add them, I'm happy to do write-ups.

I'm much more of an expert when it comes to the 2000s than the 90s. Really my guide to what to watch for the 90s has been your site, so there aren't going to be many matches that I've seen that aren't up there. I'll have a think about the 2000s though. I'd say there's loads of DG worth having up.

Written in Ditchspeak:

BJW 3/14/07 - Takashi Sasaki vs. Yuki Miyamoto (Construction Site Death Match, BJW Death Match Title)

Miyamoto is the young underdog looking to knock off grizzled champ Sasaki, who already has the scars to prove his title-holding capabilities. All of Korakuen is rooting for his fresh-faced opponent. But just how far is Miyamoto willing to go to win? The answer is: FAR. Lightbulb stuff can wear out quick but is used logically here, the bumps are enormous, and the drama is high. And the blood... oh, the blood...

EDIT: date fixed

• Like 1

Hashimoto vs Takada is a minimalistic Tokyo Dome main event that beautifully displays both their stylistic similarities (kicking) and differences (Hashimoto using pro-style moves like DDTs) with a satisfying climax and x0 000 thousand people going berserk. /write up

• 3 weeks later...

Naito vs. Tanahashi 10/10/2011

Naito had become a serious player due to his impressive showings against Tanahashi (2 wins and a draw out of 5 bouts), and this was his biggest match to date - Sumo Hall main event with the gold on the line. He knows he can beat Tanahashi so he's not shy about going right at the champ. Meanwhile Tanahashi himself knows he can be beaten by this guy so he needs to unload the heavy artillery. For fans of limbwork that pays off, you get a nice little moment towards the end. For fans of big finishes with two wrestlers throwing all they have at one another, you most definitely get that!