DVDVR Message Board

[CBMT] Comic Book Movie Tournament : pre-amble and opinions wanted

odessasteps

The rest of DC - Jonah, Constantine, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Steel, 2 Alan Moore movies, Catwoman. Good lord, they were conservative with character choices until 2000. Had they put more effort into Steel, it might have kicked off the resurgence a little earlier.

I don't think LoEG counts as DC because it started at Image. We'll have to do this quick before Big Hero 6 comes out

Big Hero 6 isn't eligible because Mark hates Mask of the Phantasm

The rest of DC - Jonah, Constantine, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Steel, 2 Alan Moore movies, Catwoman. Good lord, they were conservative with character choices until 2000. Had they put more effort into Steel, it might have kicked off the resurgence a little earlier.

I don't think LoEG counts as DC because it started at Image. We'll have to do this quick before Big Hero 6 comes out

Big Hero 6 isn't eligible because Mark hates Mask of the Phantasm

Never let the facts get in the way of your argument. :)

Was there a "ruling" on including/excluding non-Western film? OLDBOY and LONE WOLF could be contenders--though given my perusal of the Marvel thread, this might not be the best venue for them.

Since most say include, i will include some of them, and/or put some in play-in matches

I was shocked to find myself actually enjoying the new Turtles movie. It knew exactly what it was and did what it had to do. Yeah, the story was weak; but if you're complaining about plot holes in something entitled TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, then you're a vegetarian at a steakhouse. Easily one of the higher-quality installments in the whole franchise. No, it ain't no Turtles Forever, but what is?

Personally, i would rather drop the third or fourth movie in a series in favor of a one-off film, ghost rider 2 or blade 3 vs elektra, for example.

Please don't do that. Quality varies wildly from movie to movie within the same franchise. Which is something that way too many people sadly overlook; such as all the fools who assumed Ghost Rider 2 sucked (which it surprisingly didn't!) just because the first one sucked (which it totally fucking did).

Well, there has to be some whittling to get to the right number in almost all the brackets.

I will start with play-ins during week, so that we can start for real after the holiday.

If people have strong feelings about things that should go in a play-in or should be spared one, feel free to express them.

Like the NCAAs, the play-ins will probably be for the lower-ranked spots, but not the bottom ones. I think the notorious films deserve a place, for entertainment value.

It wasn't. Mach GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO or whatever was a manga first. There's just some need to limit the Japanese stuff because there could be a million billion obscure things then. I'd just be amused by Brian's reaction, mainly.

Yeah, but the Wachowski movie was 100% an adaptation of the cartoon.

I tried to argue for decade based brackets, but was shot down.  Limiting the number of non-US movies speaks more to availability issues than anything else

I think many of the foreign films will be in play-in games, so they get a mention but only for a few spots.

Same goes for some of the classic comic strips like Blondie, Annie, etc.

Work has been hellacious this week, so im a little behind on the research i wanted to do.

Baba Yaga and Cemetery Man should also be looked at for the European brackets.

I almost support doing a poll type thing for this than a tournament as there's so many films.

Lone Wolf and Cub and Lady Snowblood are not hard to find.  There's a lot of Japanese films that are readily available.

Fyi: no DC play-in game as it was not necesary.

Final play-in should be tonight and first match-ups should be posted Monday.

(Posting times may not be consistent every day, as i start new schedule at work after the holiday.)