DVDVR Message Board

[CBMT] Comic Book Movie Tournament : pre-amble and opinions wanted

odessasteps

Yes, this is the wrestling folder, not the movie folder. But when i asked Phil where to put this, he said the tournament.

----

After what seems like ages of being discussed, i got the go ahead to do the comic book movie tournament.

Before posting the actual brackets, i wanted to canvas some opinions about seeding and format before starting. I've discussed this with a couple people on the board and a couple off it about how to do things.

The tournament will be normal 64 entry bracket style. The four regions are:

DC

Marvel

other (super) hero

Non- (super ) hero

Live action only. International films eligible. TV movies will be considered.

It's been suggested to limit international films to "western" films, which would leave out Japanese stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub or Speed Racer. My thought was to only include "well-known" properties, given the limited amount of spaces available. Opinions are welcome.

Should comic strip and pulp heroes go in "other hero" or "non superhero?" This would include the shadow, doc savage, the phantom, flash gordon, popeye, ...?

Non-super hero bracket is for things like ghost world, road to perdition, american splendor, ...

And now the big issue.

A cursory examination of the comic book movie list on Box Office Mojo website showed over 120 movies. I dont think we want a 128 entry bracket (although thats only 1 more round), so the question begins on how to cut down.

To me, the place to start is the characters with a bunch of movies. For example, there are almost 10 Batman movies. All of them dont need to be entered. But how to cut them down. It was suggested a "play-in" round between these films. But how to determine that too? By era "all burton films vs each other" by director vs "one per leading actor"?

Any other suggestions?

Please fell free to nominate anything that might not be obvious or on the Box Office Mojo list.

www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=comicbookadaptation.htm

I'd like to try and start posting matches by Monday.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I understand why we should have the "live action only" caveat, but it seems a shame that things like Persepolis can't be nominated. Oh well. Sin City counts, right?

Well, it's eligible at least. Whether it makes the cut.... :)

(It will.)

• Like 1

What about serials? It would be nice to get The Big Red Cheese in there.

I have no issue with them. I figured there were so many other things that wouldnt be room.

I think the Superman and Batman ones we can skip, due to so many other movies. Using them. But, for Captain Marvel or Blackhawk or Spy Smasher, definitely considerable.

Might a simpler way be to pick the highest grossing film of each character/team?

Batman: The Dark Knight

Superman: MoS

Iron Man: IM3

Spider-Man: uh, Spider-Man

That kills First Avenger, but that seems a somewhat fair way to do it?

Could the play-in round just be characters vs. themselves?  If you do anything but, the DC side is going to be 1/3 batmovies, while Marvel's 40-some movies get whittled down to 16? That hardly seems right.  Plus DC's non-cape adaptations are all pretty damn great.

I dont want to do anything that is strictly box office related.

The more i think about it, i think doing 128 (32 per bracket) makes more sense, although it may still require whittling down some of the franchises.

Might a simpler way be to pick the highest grossing film of each character/team?

Superman: MoS

Adjusted for inflation, that spot goes to Superman: The Movie.

As odessasteps said, box office shouldn't be the sole criteria under consideration. Still, I couldn't just sit on the sidelines while someone suggested a system which would exclude the greatest comic book movie of all the times. ;)

Plus DC's non-cape adaptations are all pretty damn great.

You thought Constantine, Jonah Hex and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen were pretty damn great?

I'm disappointed in you.

I was talking about A History of Violence and Road to Perdition :) (Although I thought they had more.)  The non-cape bracket is where all the great movies are.  Should Jonah and Constantine go in the "pulp hero" with the Phantom/Shadow/Men in Black/Popeye/Blade(?)?

The non-cape/pulp brackets are going to be veeeeerrrryyy interesting indeed.

ETA: I feel sad that I've seen 128 of the 132 comic movies on the BOM list.

I think all the DC hero movies are going in the DC bracket, including jonah Hex, Swamp Thing and Constantine.

The non-hero stuff (like Perdition and History of Violence) will go in the other bracket.

Not surpringly, Matt made a point about "shared universe" and what not for DCU stuff,which i guess i can understand.

First pass at the list has over 35 movies in marvel and non superhero lists, so some trimming will be needed.

Play-in brackets would seem fair way to go.

Personally, i would rather drop the third or fourth movie in a series in favor of a one-off film, ghost rider 2 or blade 3 vs elektra, for example.

Amazingly, DC has the last number of films, even though prob 40% of them are batman pictures.

The rest of DC - Jonah, Constantine, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Steel, 2 Alan Moore movies, Catwoman. Good lord, they were conservative with character choices until 2000. Had they put more effort into Steel, it might have kicked off the resurgence a little earlier.

I don't think LoEG counts as DC because it started at Image. We'll have to do this quick before Big Hero 6 comes out