DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: SID

RIPPA

Sid's one of the most entertainingly bad wrestlers ever. The dude sucks in so many aspects -- his hilariously bad promos, snoozes of matches, hilarious faces, etc. But like Matt D. said, he exists in this insane self-contained universe where he has never, not once, done anything bad in the wrestling ring. He has absolutely zero self-awareness and it's awesome. Sid continuing on with his inane rant after the Shockmaster's debut makes that somehow even better.

Even Sid's really great jobber matches show that. I mean, I love the match Dean linked to where he made some dude 360 off of a standing clothesline. But the point of wrestling is to make it look like it hurts and not legitimately kill a guy. I could just totally see him in some HGH cycle and then forgetting it's a work.

Sid wrestler of the day thread GETS ALL THE LIKES!!!!!!

So much goodness in this thread, and nobody has posted him as Shane Doulgas' brother, Lord Humongous, in Continental yet. The Sid/Hansen jobber squash was epic. Put a dude on the gurney, then THROW THE OTHER GUY ON TOP OF HIM? Insanity. I hope those two guys got hazard pay for that taping.

Fistbumps for everybody!!!!

When Sid worked Memphis in '97 or thereabouts, he was cutting a promo about his dedication to working out and blah blah blah when someone in the crowd quite audibly yells "Sterrrrrrrr-oids!" He stops, throws that person a dirty look, then continues his promo without missing a beat.  Wish I still had that on tape.

One of my all time favorites. That Sid/Dr. Death match posted was pretty fun while it lasted, fast paced.. big fan of both. His 2012 return is the best. Wanted that for years and years, always reading interviews with Sid about how he wanted one more WWE run then he finally at least gets one more Raw match, great moment.

Sid was always one of my favorites growing up. A lot of it had to do with him being from West Memphis, which was 30 minutes away from my childhood home. A lot of it had to do with his presence. I still don't know how he got so over as a face in 1996/97 WWF.

Sid's the coolest.  So much of wrestling is in the aesthetic look of the performers and Sid was McMahon's wet dream.  He looked like a roided version of Michael Rooker.  I thought he was an underrated promo during his "Sycho" Sid days. That southern accent just made him sound more unhinged.

That Lee Scott squash is the best squash I've ever seen.  Vader squashes included.

He looked like a roided version of Michael Rooker.  I thought he was an underrated promo during his "Sycho" Sid days.

He REALLY does, doesn't he? Lots of wrestlers have celebrity dopplegangers of the "Tommy Dreamer kinda looks like Ben Affleck" variety, but you gotta go all the way to Van Dam/Van Damme to find a more uncanny resemblance.

Matt D's post killed me.

Ditto. I somehow forgot to Like it upon first glance, and fixed that error right now. I mean, look at this BEAUTIFUL paragraph, it's like the best Raven-Mack-describes-a-wrestler that he never actually wrote:

And then you get SID. Sid is someone who is from an alternate reality where wrestling is just slightly different. It's just slightly skewed. At no point in his entire career did Sid think he was doing the wrong thing in the ring. He didn't second guess himself. He didn't have doubts. So much as he didn't have to sell too much for a little guy, everything was perfect. He went out there. He did his thing. He thought that the match was great and he left. Earnest, honest, and it shows in his movements. I don't know if he's from a world where the gravity was a little different, or maybe a world where the rings were made out of stay puft marshmallow, or a word where EVERY match was against a bear. On Sid's world, though? Five Star Matches every time out. He's not one of those guys who you don't believe in the ring. He's not pretending to be a pro wrestler. He is the most unnatural natural person in the history of wrestling.

Five stars.

Also, micro-storytime:

You get someone like Disco Inferno who actually loves a lot of different styles of wrestling but realizes that he looks like a moron when he tries to utilize them.

I actually watched David Young teach Disco how to throw a superkick. In 2002. Long years after he was WCW muthafuckin' Cruiserweight Champion. Seriously, they were doing some Shawn Michaels parody spot in Disco's match that night in TNA, and he didn't have any idea how to do a fuckin' superkick. MOTHERFUCKER, I CAN THROW A DAMN SUPERKICK. The half-trained cerebral-palsy-having barely-a-manager who couldn't do shit in the ring. And while Disco's eventual superkick was indeed better than mine, it was still at least a little bit of a contest.

However, I am also the DVDVR Resident Grouch, so I will note:

For our hobby, he is a fucking national treasure. It's hard to get bored watching a Sid match. Bewildered. Confused. Horrified. But not bored.

Oh bullshit yes you CAN be bored to sleep in a Sid match. Two words: Wrestlemania Thirteen. From bell to bell, maybe the single worst Mania main event ever (not counting asterisks like Hogan/Yokozuna). Shit, it was maybe UNDERTAKER'S worst-ever match at Wrestlemania, I think I could argue that he got more out of Giant Gonzalez than he got out of Sid that night in Chicago. I have no idea what the fuck their problem was together, but that match was indeed the drizzling shits. Hey, speaking of which, did we ever get confirmation on the Sleaze Thread rumor that The Ruler Of The World legitimately shat himself in the ring prior to the finish, in this match?

A couple of his WCW '99 bouts were not-so-good as well, the incoherent and somnambulant tag main event that was the cherry on top of the shit sundae that was Bash At The Beach 1999 certainly comes to mind. Even Scott Keith was hitting some good zingers on that one, noting how nonchalant Sid looked as he chewed gum while rest-holding Sting in the middle of a match where he could theoretically win the heavyweight title. In fact, that's the one thing Sid was REALLY no damn good at, killing time with holds. He seemed to be lost whenever he wasn't either selling, playing to the crowd, or murdering people.

Nash (grain of salt) says it was Sid's preference. He said Sid was basically offered "the keys to the kingdom", i.e. being the guy after Hulk left, but that Sid preferred to work heel.

That would explain a lot of Sid's start-and-stop career. If Sid just loves working heel that much that he never really wants to be a face, and combine that with his well-noted impulsiveness and insistence on his-way-or-the-highway, suddenly his jigsaw puzzle of a resume begins to fit together.

Sid's one of the all-time great squash match guys, and he's always had that "It Factor" that you hear about and can't define.

There aren't a lot of good competitive Sid matches, and the ones that do exist are against the obvious suspects, but he was so fucking charismatic. He's also simultaneously an all-time great bad promo, and a really good promo at the same time.