DVDVR Message Board

Best SNL Cast Member Ever Tournament

Greggulator

Yeah, but I think his SNL stuff isn't nearly as strong as his movie stuff.

Murphy/Hartman/Ferrell/Forte is my final 4, and the final is Hartman over Ferrell in a walk.

Bill Murray was so bad his first year on SNL, he actually did a sketch where he spent the entire time apologizing for how unfunny he had been.

Eh, that was on his sixth show out of like 100 so I wouldn't put too much weight into that. His overall legacy on the show is pretty solid. On his side of the 75-85 bracket, I'd say only Radner and Belushi have arguments over him.

• Like 1

Bill Murray was really good on SNL. He had some really memorable characters and big moments. But he's gotta go up Gilda the next round. She still has an argument that she's the best woman to ever perform on the show. She's also so important in making the show such a phenomenon and kept it from being a macho row.

Bill Murray replaced Chevvy Chase. I mean, he was awesome. It's Bill Murray. But he wasn't as important as Gilda. That's not a knock. If we were to rank all 64 people on this list, Gilda would be very, very, very high -- maybe even Top 10.

And Belushi was even more important than Gilda.

Bill Hader saved more episodes from being completely laugh-less than you have appendages to count them on. I actually love Kristen Wiig (fuck da haters) but Bill Hader was the clutch guy you sent in to get shit done. He takes the most recent era. 

Darell Hammond, to me, was absolute must see during "The Cowbell Era". More so than any of the other guys and gals, and when he left I thought "Fuuuuuck all those perfect impersonations are gone." Wasn't a big Will Ferrell fan. Actually I wasn't much of a fan of this entire era. Really a better time period would be the end of the this era and the beginning of the next one. Like 2003 to whenever Wiig, Forte, Sudeikis, Armissen left and it became the Bill Hader and new people trying to figure shit out show.

It's either Phil Hartman or Chris Farley in the Lorne Returns Era. Hartman was smarter laughs, but Chris Farley was this hurricane force of nature that would will you to not just laugh but hurt yourself laughing. These guys were my first SNL casts, and I think everyone has a special place for that group that first got them into SNL. 

2nd Round of voting is open now. Does Grantland always do their brackets by time periods? That's irritating.

Looking forward to seeing if the revised book has anything different from the Ferell years. When I read the 1st edition everyone was falling all over themselves to praise Lorne. I don't think we'll ever see a "true" history until Michaels is dead - maybe not even then.

My Final Four is Murphy, Hartman, Ferrell, Hader.

Tim Meadows doesn't gt enough love, he was a quiet background guy until he found his niche.

The Billy Crystal/Christopher Guest/Martin Short season is probably the most talent laden seasons by far but produced only a handful of really great skits

James

Well, unsurprisingly, the top 4 seeds in each bracket made it to the final 16.

The 1975-1985 and 2005-2014 brackets should probably end up being 1-2. The 1995-2004 bracket should be Ferrell vs. Fey, and the 1986-1994 bracket should really be Farley vs. Hartman.

Goddamit, this thing is going make me re-read "Live From New York" for the 100th time.

They're rereleasing it. 200 new pages. Including whining by Sarah Palin.

YES!

I bought it once. Fuck it. I'll buy it again.

Down to the Final Four.

Eddie Murphy vs. Phil Hartman on one side, Will Ferrell vs. Bill Hader on the other.

Ferrell should win in a walk. . .and, really, as great as Eddie Murphy was, I can't vote for him over Phil Hartman.

Hartman should win this, judging on SNL work only. The article on Hartman on Grantland sums it up nicely. He was really the MVP of that show during his tenure.

Didn't Ferrell kinda drift along for a while until he finally started to get some reoccurring characters? His W. and Harry Caray are extremely funny, but he kinda just seemed to be getting himself over, if you weeeel. Hartman was a team player, made everyone else around him better.

For some reason, I can't seem to vote. Doesn't seem to work in Chrome or IE for me.

I think there are voting times but they're not written anywhere on the site.

Good looking out. That did the trick.

Hartman is getting stomped. People are judging based on what they did outside of SNL, have to be. Ferrell's had a great movie career, but I still think Hartman meant more to SNL at the time.

I hardly ever watch SNL these days, but I really like Keenan Thompson. He's game for anything. Jean K. Jean is a great idea well executed.

I think there are voting times but they're not written anywhere on the site.

Good looking out. That did the trick.

Hartman is getting stomped. People are judging based on what they did outside of SNL, have to be. Ferrell's had a great movie career, but I still think Hartman meant more to SNL at the time.

I hardly ever watch SNL these days, but I really like Keenan Thompson. He's game for anything. Jean K. Jean is a great idea well executed.

Troy Mcclure(also not SNL) is better than anything that Will Ferrell ever did, and that's not even counting any SNL skits, and that was glorious.

• Like 1

Even outside of SNL Hartman should win that. Tell me if you're flipping channels in two alternate universes, and in one you glimpse Hartman in something and in the other you glimpse Farrell.

Maybe you stop to watch Farrell, but unless the universe where you see Hartman is also the one where Judy Greer is knocking on your door wanting to get high and make out, you are 100% stopping and spending the next hour watching Hartman.