DVDVR Message Board

I'm taking the plunge...

Ramsey

So, I've decided that this is year I'm upgrading to a PS4 from my trusty 360. It's been awhile since I had a Sony box. Anything I should know? Hey, will a PS4 play my old PS2 games? How is the online stuff? Fill a brother in, yeah?

Yeah, the XBOX One roll out along with the Microsoft "squeeze 'em till they turn blue" philosophy left me cold. I'm just  ot crazy about the "control all entertainment" mission of the Xbox.

As opposed to Sony's "control 100% of entertainment" philosophy?

Is this about Tomb Raider being an XBone timed exclusive?

Nope. Tomb Raider isn't even on my radar.

Yeah, so far the new systems are really... eerie. Like, there's not much for either in a really distressing way. At the same time, I remember how much doom and gloom was around the launch of these systems where people were just like "this will be the last set of consoles, no one wants consoles" and now with like 15 million plus of all three sold through, it seems that people want consoles so much that the presence of games isn't really a factor.

Here's all I know about PS4: World's Best Game Development Team Vlambeer has put out Luftrausers on PS4, and will be putting out Nuclear Throne on PS4 once it's fully completed. Those games are dope. I mean, you can also get them on PC, but man I kind of want to play Nuclear Throne on the biggest TV I can find. Also the people in charge of third party relations seem to be completely on top of their shit which is what's leading to all this insane indie stuff getting pushed out day-and-date. They're trying to make PS4 devkits as availible as they can and it's paying off.

EDIT: Like seriously look at this shit

Ok.....I may need to find some sort of emulator so I can stop playing Fire Pro Returns on a dying old PS2. I am excited about having Madden (I've waited four years since my last Madden Puchase) and WWE 2K15 on a next gen machine.

The whole launch of the XBox One was camera/control your tv/never need anything based. Shit, I just want to play games and stream Netflix and the WWE Network. I'm a game guy, not a "talk to my tv" guy. My needs are fairly simple.

Ok.....I may need to find some sort of emulator so I can stop playing Fire Pro Returns on a dying old PS2. I am excited about having Madden (I've waited four years since my last Madden Puchase) and WWE 2K15 on a next gen machine.

Hmmm...I never thought about this before, but will PS1 and PS2 games purchased over PSN not work on the PS4? If they do, then you can buy FPR on PSN for super cheap.

The whole launch of the XBox One was camera/control your tv/never need anything based. Shit, I just want to play games and stream Netflix and the WWE Network. I'm a game guy, not a "talk to my tv" guy. My needs are fairly simple.

Well, you can get an Xbox One without Kinect...

I wouldn't listen to the haters. Most, if not all, will be getting a next-gen console at some point themselves.

I'm buying a PS4 next month. I want to play Madden, NBA 2K15, WWE 2K15, GTA V, COD, and Silent Hill in all their glory. The games available aren't overwhelming by any means, but I'm a casual gamer who's only going to buy 2 games maximum a month anyhow.

I wouldn't listen to the haters. Most, if not all, will be getting a next-gen console at some point themselves.

I'm buying a PS4 next month. I want to play Madden, NBA 2K15, WWE 2K15, GTA V, COD, and Silent Hill in all their glory. The games available aren't overwhelming by any means, but I'm a casual gamer who's only going to buy 2 games maximum a month anyhow.

Yup, that's me too. Shit, I work too much to be able to even PLAY two new games a month.

Hmmm...I never thought about this before, but will PS1 and PS2 games purchased over PSN not work on the PS4? If they do, then you can buy FPR on PSN for super cheap.

They do not. No PS3 purchases made on PSN work on PS4 unless they specifically make a version for the new console. And the game has crossbuy.

Note: Playstation Now could possibly change this down the road.

Ramsey imma do you a solid.

I'm going to tell you what these guys aren't- wwe network on ps4 is leaps and bounds better than on 360.

It remembers your place when you stop watching stuff, and has chapter skip on certain shows. And it like, works. My 360 connected like shit to the internet for whatever reason, and my ps4 runs smooth as silk. I know this is more of an isolated situation specific to me though.

There's not a lot of shit out yet but come on dude, WWE 2k15 right before Halloween.

Other than that I play the UFC game which is kind of shitty compared to the thq ones but fun with Gameface and infamous Second Son which is pretty fucking cool.

If you do make the jump, add me as a friend, my name is luchagringo. Same to you, Brandon, or anyone else.

• Like 1

What you need to know about the PS4:

- you need PS+ to play online

- that's OK, PS+ gets you 2 free games a month

- if media streaming off your PC important, the PS4 can't do it.  Netflix and stuff like that are fine.  But no DLNA servers or anything

- there aren't a ton of killer games for the PS4 yet.  AC4 is freaking awesome but not exclusive.  There's also the PS4 version of The Last of Us, a game I did not like.

In all honesty, since beating AC4, I rarely play my PS4.  When I do, it's for pinball or, of late, Pure Pool.

• Like 1

For both systems, business will 'pick up' heading into the holidays.  I got my PS4 last week, so far I only have one game, Infamous Second Son.  Which I thought was fun, but didn't look next-gen.  But I just got Diablo III (waiting until my brother comes into town in a few weeks to play couch co-op), and I have pre-ordered Far Cry 4, WWE, Madden, and Assassin's Creed Unity.  That will be more than enough for me until 2015, plus I may get Destiny.

I opted for the PS4 because I already have PS Plus for my PS3 and I had 'purchased' all the free PS4 games all year, so I had a nice backlog for when I get bored.  Plus I prefer the PS controller, to me the controller is the main difference between the systems.  The only XBox exclusive game that is a 'must play' for me is Gears of War (was never a Halo guy), but for the most part the consoles are pretty much the same, Tabe pretty much outlined the few differences.  

As far as PS Now goes, the only ones I think are a good deal are some of the week rentals.  If I know I have a week with a lot of free time, I could easily beat a game in a week and thus save quite a bit of money.  But the four hour rentals and month rentals are priced stupidly and serve no real purpose.

I bought my PS4 at launch. The first year after launch is usually pretty rocky in terms of games; the N64 and Dreamcast defeated this by having a fairly decent proportion of high-quality releases early on, but most consoles don't do that.

The WWEN does run better on the PS4 than on any other device I have aside from my Android. I actually have PS+ primarily for the games rather than for playing online. At this point, we're getting two indie/smaller releases a month.

The DS4 is a fantastic design in terms of how comfortable it fits in my hand, but it wears down quickly. I don't bash my stuff around or abuse my controllers, but I had to send one back about four months after launch because the right trigger got stuck. The rubber covers on the thumbsticks also erode kinda quickly. I am hoping that more games do cool stuff with the in-controller audio and the touchpad; really, only inFamous: SS has tried to use both in cool ways.

If you do get a PS4, I definitely suggest MLB: The Show 14. A big part of me deciding to go with a PS4 after having a 360 is that it has the only decent baseball sim out there. I also enjoyed Rayman Legends (which is out on every console), Resogun, and inFamous. I also ended up sinking a ton of time into Don't Starve: CE. 

Looking forward, I'm excited for Fallout 5, WWE '15, and the next Red Dead and Saints Row games in terms of franchised releases, but I really am interested in No Man's Sky, which looks like a game that I will play off and on for years and years until I somehow sink a hundred and fifty hours into that sucker.