DVDVR Message Board

The DEFINITIVE Observer Star Ratings List

Also, these:

12/10/1993 Kyoko Inoue and Toshiyo Yamada defeated Akira Hokuto and Manami Toyota 1

12/10/1993 Kyoko Inoue and Toshiyo Yamada defeated Akira Hokuto and Manami Toyota 2

These were two matches between the two teams on the same show as part of a tournament and Dave gave both matches *****

These matches are available together online

6/27/1995 Aja Kong vs Manami Toyota

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL4RpVGlH2w

12/10/1993 Kyoko Inoue and Toshiyo Yamada defeated Akira Hokuto and Manami Toyota Parts 1 and 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFkKEFTtzsw

7/23/1995 Manami Toyota vs Mima Shimoda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjXQqoGn7mI

4/1/1995 Octagon, El Hijo Del Santo and Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Fuerza Guerrera, Psicosis and Blue Panther

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAPLZC4NURM

3/9/1996 Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Juventud Guerrera ECW

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1achc_juventud-guerrera-vs-rey-mysterio-j_sport

6/29/1998 Kiyoshi Tamura vs Tsuyoshi Kohsaka RINGS

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvn0wa_kiyoshi-tamura-vs-tsuyoshi-kohsaka-ii_sport

57 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Was Dave not rating WWF from like '88-'90?  There were some really great tags during that time, even shit like Hogan/Bossman in the cage is something I personally would rate pretty highly.

I noticed this too.  He really underrated a lot of good WWF stuff from that era.  It was like he made a decision to ignore the biggest wrestling company in the world.  Their main event stuff wasn't world class, but they had good wrestling.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:54 AM, CreativeControl said:

what if we've been wrong all these years and Dave is actually rating these matches out of ten?

Then Misawa's ghost becomes corporeal and slaps him?

• Like 1

Dave rated WWF stuff from that time period - just not very high

The highest from 88 was 3 1/2 for both the Survivor Series Tag Team Elimination match and the Royal Rumble (the one Duggan won)

In 89 it was 4 1/4 for a MSG House show tag between the Rockers and Brain Busters

In 90 it was a 4 star between Tito Santana and Curt Hennig from Sat Night Main Event

(Just to pick the three years mentioned)

• 1 month later...

So, I've run into a few sources saying that these Manami Toyota matches were given *****, but aren't anywhere above:

- AJW 8/24/94 - Toyota vs. Inoue (All Pacific & IWA Title Unification)
- AJW 10/9/94 - Toyota/Yamada vs. Double Inoue (Wrestlmarinpiad VI: 2/3 Falls, WWWA World Tag Titles)

They are conspicuous by their absence (5 star or otherwise), considering this is peak-Toyota time and Kyoko is on the other side of both of them. Even more bizarre is I've also seen/heard stated that Manami has 14 ***** matches from Meltzer. Now, that's info that's in her Wikipedia entry, but if you look at that match list, there are 17, so obviously at least one of those figures is wrong. Maybe that 14 has just been parroted all this time. Some of those matches are dated wrong (the aforementioned tag match is listed as 9/10, so somebody got it backwards) so I'm taking whatever it lists with a grain of salt. Plus, you know, it's Wikipedia (I can't find that the listed '91 tag w/ Mita vs. Jungle Jack ever even happened, never mind being critically acclaimed) Funny enough, though, if you take all the matches listed in this thread as *****, there are 14. Maybe Meltzer never reviewed the two matches I listed above, but again, that would seem strange given the time period and who is involved.

-----------------------------------------------
EDIT: I also have encountered two AJPW matches from 1995 with the same thing: not mentioned here, but several sources listing them as such.

- AJPW 1/19/95 - Kawada vs. Kobashi (Triple Crown)
- AJPW 4/15/95 - Misawa vs. Taue (Champion Carnival Final)

I assuming in both cases these are coming from one source and being listed as such everywhere else. I'm not claiming these are all *****, it's not like I have the newsletters to verify them. These are just ones I've noticed on other lists that haven't been brought up here yet. This is by far the best - indeed, the definitive - list I've found anywhere. There is quite a bit here that isn't on what I'm considering to be my 2nd best source, so thank you for putting this together.

Edited by tmxicon
Added AJPW matches

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, tmxicon said:

8/24/94 Toyota vs. Inoue (All Pacific & IWA Title Unification) Dave wrote in the 9/5/1994 WON that this was reported to be a match of the year type match and that it was ***** but that appears to be based on someone else's report

10/9/1994 Toyota/Yamada vs. Double Inoue (Wrestlmarinpiad VI: 2/3 Falls, WWWA World Tag Titles) In the 12/19/1994 WON Dave said the match went 40:00, was ***** and one of the best women's matches of the year.

AJPW 4/15/95 - Misawa vs. Taue (Champion Carnival Final) Dave reported on this in the 5/22/1995 WON and rated it ***** It was aired over two shows and Dave described it as Taue's best singles match ever.

I've also found record in the 10/31/1994 WON of 19/28/1994 Konnan, Art Barr and Chicano Power vs El Hijo del Santo, Blue Panther and Perro Aguayo in AAA being rated ****3/4 and being described by Dave as one of the best tv matches of the year.

In the 11/28/1994 WON review of Big Egg Wrestling Universe Dave rated 11/20/1994 Combat Toyoda vs Yumiko Hotta as ****3/4

I have just noticed that in the 6/12/1995 issue in which Dave reviews the full 60:00 Misawa/Kobashi vs Taue/Kawada 1/24/1995 match he says it is on a different level from every other ***** match that year except perhaps Kawada vs Kobashi from a week earlier. He said that match (Kawada vs Kobashi) was amazing as a singles match that had that much intensity for that long. So that would be confirmation of it as a five-star match rating for 1/19/1995.