DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 8-18-14

MGFanJay

Oh yeah we're all missing the John Cena update from tonight. He'll be back next week to address the WWE universe. One week after getting mauled. Well Superman wasn't dead for that long either so I guess Cena's only living the gimmick.

The network already leaked some footage of him working on his statement and following online:

Strong_Sad_Email.jpg

• Like 1

I'm gonna miss Ambrose. He was more or less filling the Daniel Bryan void for nightly show stealer with fantastic matches. It'll be interesting to see what Rollins does in the mean time, cause I don't think he's that over, we'll see if he can reacts without Ambrose.

I love Roman Reigns, but at this point he's becoming more and more like an Expendables 3 parody every week. He's working matches like an action hero, not a wrestler. 

And Steph/Bree needs to be over now. Summerslam was enough, I don't need this in my life anymore. With no apparent challengers for Brock and no Ambrose, don't really know what reason there is to watch Raw next week. :(

I want this on a shirt:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Paul Heyman,

and I'm the one

behind the one

who conquered the one

who thought he was the one

to beat the one

in twenty-one and one.

Might just fit on Kevin Steen if he can lose a few pounds. 

Fixed.

The Bellas are made for wrestling in that they're pretty fucking carny, but they're also unfortunately awful. Steph is good - wanted to set Lawler on fire there at the beginning where he said, "Her shirt days says Steph Steph Steph instead of Yes Yes Yes like Bryan's!" Nobody of any age watching the show is that stupid. You'd think Lawler of all people would realize children aren't that dumb, since he sleeps with them.

Sir, I want to give you a big, pounding hug for that part there! :D

• Like 1

Oh yeah we're all missing the John Cena update from tonight. He'll be back next week to address the WWE universe. One week after getting mauled. Well Superman wasn't dead for that long either so I guess Cena's only living the gimmick.

we're sure he won't be live via satellite using Stephen Hawking's voicebox to address the WWE Universe?

Making it through the show:

As one of the 2 people who remembered NXT Season 3, I am so glad Bitchy Bella is back. Her voice is so sexy and goddamn. Nikki really used every bit of that segment. That shouldn't have been the opening segment, but it worked. Brie has been rightfully criticized for sucking (maybe too harshly by alot but whatever), but the crowd brought into her crying and it got the reaction from the fans. Poor Brie. :(

AJ has been so dead in the eyes lately.

Rusev is tiny compared to Henry. Most people are. But most people aren't Bulgarian Brutes or whatever the fuck Lana says he is. Still think Lana as the Russian breakdancing instructor would be more interesting. The act is just so dated.

And Reigns is the only Shield member that gets regularly thrown into tag matches. lulz.

Oh for fuck's sake. He's not in the hospital. It's perfectly acceptable for a guy who got his ass kicked to show up somewhere to talk.
  • Like 1

Just got home, had no intention of watching any of RAW, but after seeing all the raves, watched Ambrose-Rollins, and it was about halfway through that I realized I had the biggest grin on my face, and it didn't leave until it was over.  May not have been the greatest RAW match, but it ranks as one of the most fun RAW matches I've seen. 

Dean Ambrose is the next big thing, and the only thing that stops him is Dean Ambrose.  24 hours ago I had no desire to see anyone against Brock Lesnar, and now I do.

• Like 1

When Dean faces Brock depends on if he's going over or not. If they actually want to put the belt on Dean it's at Mania, if not then I'd say Rumble.

Agreed. Dean will make Brock look like a bigger killer than he already is because he will keep coming at him, hopelessly, until Brock ends him. The Rumble is the perfect time for that match unless they are putting the strap on Dean as Brock will be at his zenith following that. 

The main event was fantastic and both guys are so good in their roles. Interested to see where they go with Rollins to kill time in-between now and Hell in a Cell. Obvious set up is for Dean to cost Rollins a big match at Night of Champions to set-up the HiaC blow off match.

When JBL (and then later Cole and King) started to cheer on Mark Henry (whose "boy" line was tremendous!), I had a flashback to the days when Dusty would lose his shit cheering on the face against the nWo ("go get 'em kid!") and even Bobby would join him and Tony cheerleading. If done sparingly, it can be a really wonderful storytelling tool. They haven't done it in WWE since JR was taken off TV.

Anyway, between the Ambrose/Rollins stuff (the bucket to the mouth and charity line were both so, so good) and Heyman's wonderful promo this was a great show. Despite inconsistent, start-stop booking, and missing the point booking at times with guys like Bray, it is such a fun time to be a fan of WWE. We get a great match every week, the storytelling in ring hasn't been this good in well over a decade since Bret, Shawn, Cold Stone, and company were busting ass to win back viewers, and there are more than a handful of young guys really coming into their own in front of our eyes.

When Dean faces Brock depends on if he's going over or not. If they actually want to put the belt on Dean it's at Mania, if not then I'd say Rumble.

The main event was fantastic and both guys are so good in their roles. Interested to see where they go with Rollins to kill time in-between now and Hell in a Cell. Obvious set up is for Dean to cost Rollins a big match at Night of Champions to set-up the HiaC blow off match.

...or the moment he cashes in the suitcase.

John Cena is addressing the Universe next week, and will announce he's going away for awhile (to film 2 movies). And because Brock beat the piss, blood and vomit out of him.

or Cena comes out for a promo, Brocks music hits, Cena runs out of the ring thru the crowd and disappears for months.

The catch? Brock doesn't actually come out, but Cena turns out to be traumatized by the sound of Brock's theme music

So it looks like according to storyline, Dean Ambrose refused medical assistance and just left the building.   Now that is something that would have shown that on the web site or the network or whatever.  if they can figure out how to have Dean return with pieces of cinder block on him like he hasn't accepted any help for months that would be even more awesome

• Like 1

So after reading some posts in this thread, it seems like the bloom is off the Roman Reigns rose here at the DVDVRMB.  That is good, because he sucks, but some of you need to admit it.....it was the horrible pants that finally made you turn the corner.  I fell asleep at about 10:15, so I need to watch the Mark Henry segment and the main event.  

• Like 4

So it looks like according to storyline, Dean Ambrose refused medical assistance and just left the building.   Now that is something that would have shown that on the web site or the network or whatever.  if they can figure out how to have Dean return with pieces of cinder block on him like he hasn't accepted any help for months that would be even more awesome

The video up on the website is him being stretchered out so I am not quite sure how he could have "refused medical assistance" without it looking really poorly on the WWE doctor's (not that they don't make questionably sketchy storyline decisions all the time)

EDIT - Ah-HA

Found the story you were talking about - so yeah, the WWE doctors are as good as the Mets doctors

Mark Henry should have picked up Lana, put her over his shoulder, and carried her to the back.

Next week she shows up with messed hair, flip flops, a generic t-shirt, cheap makeup, and tight jeans walking out with Mark Henry. She never says a word, just smiles, and never leaves his side.

This is kind of like my idea for how to push a black dude to the top of the card.  First of all the black dude would have to be an undeniably great worker.  He would then go full Mayweather, where he does nothing but talk about his own greatness.  To put it all over the edge, he would have a really good looking white woman who is almost completely subservient to him.  If I was to become a wrestler, I'm only 33 it could happen, I'd pitch this as my gimmick...if I could publicly make out with Lana.