DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 48: Bisping vs. Le (8/23/2014) - Cotai, Macau (CotaiArena at The Venetian Macao)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_48_Bisping_vs._Le_Poster

UFC Fight Night 48: Bisping vs. Le

August 23, 2014

Cotai, Macau (CotaiArena at The Venetian Macao)

Michael Bisping (186) vs. Cung Le (185) - Bisping, TKO (strikes), R4 (0:57)

Dong Hyun Kim (171) vs. Tyron Woodley (170) - Woodley, TKO (punches), R1 (1:01)

Lipeng Zhang (155) vs. Brendan O'Reilly (155) - Zhang, DEC (unanimous)

TUF China Featherweight Tournament Final: Guangyou Ning (146) vs. Jianping Yang (145) - Ning, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Sai Wang (170) vs. Danny Mitchell (171) - Wang, DEC (unanimous)

Alberto Mina (170) vs. Shinsho Anzai (171) - Mina, TKO (punches), R1 (4:17)

Roland Delorme (136) vs. Yuta Sasaki (135) - Sasaki, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:06)

Anying Wang (170) vs. Colby Covington (171) - Covington, TKO (punches), R1 (4:50)

Zhikui Yao (135) vs. Royston Wee (136) - Wee, DEC (split)

Elizabeth Phillips (136)  vs. Milana Dudieva (135) - Dudieva, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Yuta Sasaki

Performance of the Night: Alberto Mina

Performance of the Night: Tyron Woodley

Performance of the Night: Michael Bisping

Attendance: 7,022

Cancelled Bouts:

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Hector Lombard - Injury to Lombard

Alberto Mina vs. Sheldon Westcott - Injury to Westcott

Bisping fights a higher ranked fighter next and he loses.

Bisping fights a lower ranked fighter after and he wins.

Bisping fights a higher ranked fighter next and he loses.

Bisping fights a lower ranked fighter after and he wins.

The "Everyone Loves to Hate Michael Bisping" bandwagon is getting tiresome.

Bisping is one of UFC's bigger draws and one of their most marketable international stars.  He does a good job of promoting fights when a lot of guys look like a deer in front of the headlights when they have a microphone put in front of them or they are asked to go to a post-fight press conference.  

Is Bisping a title contender?  No.  Do I think he will ever get to the title?  Probably not.  He's generally always failed at really cementing himself as an elite level competitor.  But he's still a decent fighter.  He was coming off a disappointing loss and needed a win and he finished Cung Le.  No Cung Le hasn't fought in two years, but does anyone really care?  He'll probably get matched up against someone like Rockhold.  Or maybe they put him in there with someone like Philippou, Boetsch, or Munoz.  

I'm just not seeing how UFC pumping up Bisping after knocking out Le is some tragedy or a new low.

• Like 1

Bisping getting a win here is better for UFC then if Cung won the fight.  Cung is going to be a draw in Asia regardless but is already 40 and only basically fights once a year now.  Bisping may not ever win the title but you can still get about 3 Fight Night main events a year out of him.

• Like 1

The "Everyone Loves to Hate Michael Bisping" bandwagon is getting tiresome.

Bisping is one of UFC's bigger draws and one of their most marketable international stars.  He does a good job of promoting fights when a lot of guys look like a dear in front of the headlights when they have a microphone put in front of them or they are asked to go to a post-fight press conference.  

Is Bisping a title contender?  No.  Do I think he will ever get to the title?  Probably not.  He's generally always failed at really cementing himself as an elite level competitor.  But he's still a decent fighter.  He was coming off a disappointing loss and needed a win and he finished Cung Le.  No Cung Le hasn't fought in two years, but does anyone really care?  He'll probably get matched up against someone like Rockhold.  Or maybe they put him in there with someone like Philippou, Boetsch, or Munoz.  

I'm just not seeing how UFC pumping up Bisping after knocking out Le is some tragedy or a new low.

My main grievance is they trot out the "Bisping has never lost two in a row" stat as if it is legit.  It can't be that hard for him when you make a concerted effort to give him much easier fights after he loses.  Best example: Benson is top ten and after his loss to Pettis, he fights three top ten guys in a row.  Bisping doesn't.  I don't begrudge people for liking Bisping, but I don't have to enjoy watching a guy whose career is sustained by calculated matchmaking.  If I wanted that, I'd watch more boxing.

• Like 1

He does a good job of promoting fights when a lot of guys look like a dear in front of the headlights when they have a microphone put in front of them or they are asked to go to a post-fight press conference.  

Is Bisping a title contender?  No.  Do I think he will ever get to the title?  Probably not.  He's generally always failed at really cementing himself as an elite level competitor.  But he's still a decent fighter.  He was coming off a disappointing loss and needed a win and he finished...

sonnengraham.jpg