DVDVR Message Board

Grant Morrison's Batman run.

The Natural

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

IIRC Burnham eventually did more of the art when it was collected. not sure how much, or if it was only for a certain version, but i kinda remember reading something about that.

That's right:

Related image

Related image

• 2 months later...

Morrison wrote Batman for almost a decade and that article says the run was "Brief". Most writers are off a book in way less time than that

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 12:58 PM, J.H. said:

Morrison wrote Batman for almost a decade and that article says the run was "Brief". Most writers are off a book in way less time than that

James

?? How many writers get to stay on a Marvel/DC book more than 3 years anymore?

• Like 1

Exactly! Hell, even big name writers who shape a large chunk of a company's mythology only last 3-5 (if they're lucky). Morrison wrote  large swaths of Batman and the low points of his run were when he wasn't writing an arc or 2 (The Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul comesto mind, which I think was Milligan and also not very good). I mean, Im' asking guys to do a Claremont on X-Men length run or anything

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I fucking love Grant Morrison's Batman run (2006-2013). Best comic book run I've ever read and I've re-read it a bunch. Highlights:

Spoiler
  • Bruce Wayne and Talia al Ghul having a son, Damian Wayne brought into continuity.
  • An attack on Batman’s mind leading to Batman of Zur-En-Arr, a backup personality.
  • Dr Simon Hurt is a menacing big bad. Professor Pyg is legitimately disturbing.
  • The use of Talia al Ghul.
  • Damian as a future Batman, Batman 666.
  • Darkseid trying to clone an army of Batman. All but one die unable to cope with the trauma Batman's gone through, both mental and physical.
  • Bruce Wayne/Batman breaking a lifetime promise against firearms using a gun to shoot Darkseid. Man beats God.
  • Batman thought dead but gets sent back in time.
  • Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne becoming the new Batman and Robin is the best thing from the run. The chemistry between the two.
  • Bruce Wayne starting Batman, Incorporated across the world.
  • Batman, Incorporated vs. Leviathan.
  • Spyral.
  • Death of Damian Wayne killed in action.
  • Bruce Wayne becomes a bat.
  • Talia al Ghul dies.

I'm going to rank every story of this run as well. Been meaning to do that. Better late than never.

Edited by The Natural

while Batman Inc is separated due to Nu52, there's very little that doesn't work by itself. a couple costumes change, otherwise it just keeps on telling its own story.

agree that Morrison's Batman run is superb from beginning to end 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 12:54 PM, twiztor said:

while Batman Inc is separated due to Nu52, there's very little that doesn't work by itself. a couple costumes change, otherwise it just keeps on telling its own story.

agree that Morrison's Batman run is superb from beginning to end 

It's a bit weird that Steph, Cass, and Babs vanish and Dick is suddenly Nightwing again, but otherwise it's pretty smooth..

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's a bit weird that Steph, Cass, and Babs vanish and Dick is suddenly Nightwing again, but otherwise it's pretty smooth..

i don't remember the Batgirls vanishing but my memory is pretty shot.

i was reading it in real time, so maybe it just wasn't as drastic as everything else at that time so my brain glossed it over.

9 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i don't remember the Batgirls vanishing but my memory is pretty shot.

i was reading it in real time, so maybe it just wasn't as drastic as everything else at that time so my brain glossed it over.

Well, Steph and Cass were both basically erased from continuity (and later reintroduced) while I guess Grant didn't want to deal with Barbara being Batgirl again instead of Oracle, and we never got another look at her "building internet 3.0" or whatever.

that Internet 3.0 part does ring a bell, and the Oracle->Batgirl non-transition totally makes sense.  i thought i remembered Steph randomly being Spoiler again in a group shot (like, Morrison doesn't even mention it), but there are literally 100s of other comics i could be confusing with this.

• 1 month later...