DVDVR Message Board

Grant Morrison's Batman run.

The Natural

Great discussion guys!

On 15/04/2016 at 3:22 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I generally cite Year One as my favorite Batman story, and that's basically true insomuch as the word story meaning a singular, relatively concise narrative.

But if we can call the combined 52/Batman And Son/The Resurrection of Ra's AL Ghul/The Black Glove/RIP/Final Crisis,/Last Rites/Batman Reborn/Batman vs Robin/Batman and Robin Must Die/The Return of Bruce Wayne/Batman: The Return/Batman Inc Vol 1/The Demon Star/Gotham's Most Wanted as being one story, it's easily my favorite Batman story, and high in the running for my favorite comic run ever (PAD's Supergirl and Sandman are the only two things I'd unquestionably take over it. Probably Waid's Flash)

Well said. For me Batman: Year One is the best Batman story but for one long narrative story run, Grant's is not only the best Batman run to me but my favourite ever comic book run.

Here’s my take on Scott Snyder’s Batman stories...

Batman: The Black Mirror is excellent and easily Scott Snyder’s best Batman story as Dick Grayson’s Batman and Commissioner Gordon do battle with the past meeting the present. This is one of the greatest Batman stories of all time. Batman: Gates of Gotham was good looking back to the development of Gotham City landmarks by prominent Gotham families more so for the team-up with Dick Bats, Robin, Red Robin and Black Bat.

I don't rate Court of Owls/Night of Owls in Batman #1-11 as the majority do. I liked some things from the story mainly #5-6 when Batman's in the Court of Owls labyrinth. Didn't care for the Court of Owls living between floors of properties undetected and the reveal regarding Dick Grayson. The story is similar to the Black Glove which preceded CoO/NoO. The ending I gather to the arc is divisive but I didn't mind it, leaning towards positive. Death of the Family from Batman #13-17 was good, the ending generates conflicting opinions. Batman #18 is the worst story from the title looking at Bruce Wayne's reactions to events in Batman: Incorporated (Vol. 2) #8. Batman Annual #1 is terrible, the New 52 origin of Mr. Freeze and the worst thing I’ve ever read from Scott Snyder.

Batman #19-20 with Clayface is very good from the Snyder/Capullo team with a welcome appearance of a Batsuit. Zero Year in Batman #21-27 and #29-33 I really enjoyed more for the first and third chapters and origin stories are a favourite area of mine. The Meek from Batman #34 is a good one and done. I wish Scott Snyder wrote shorter stories like this and Batman #19-20 to go with the long.

Endgame in Batman #35-40 is brilliant. Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo's best work on the title, second only overall to Snyder's The Black Mirror. Batman memorably goes up against the Justice League and who’s responsible for the Justice League attack they managed to keep hidden. There’s the angle the Joker is supernatural, what Joker knows regarding Batman and Batman getting unlikely help because the situation is so bad.

Batman #41-50 has Bats as Jim Gordon with the aftermath to Endgame. I have an interest in a hero getting replaced by their student/friend if the hero is alive advising them or if the hero is dead and the replacement who knew the original hero wanting to do right by him/her. I've liked Gordon Bats but it’s possibly the weakest hero gets replaced tales I’ve read.

Twenty Seven really needs talking up more, a terrific Batman story as both a future take while respecting the past with nods to key moments in Batman’s history. After finishing the story, I reread it. I’m a quarter of a way in Batman: Eternal, it’s good but feels padded/slow going to stretch the book into a weekly title.

So Grant Morrison vs. Scott Snyder as done by you. I’m a big fan of both writers and runs. However this is an easy call for me...Grant Morrison. As I said previously Morrison’s Batman run is not only the best Batman run, my favourite comic book run ever. I’ve read it a couple of times from beginning to end.

Final Crisis collects Final Crisis #1-7. Darkseid possesses an equation, Anti-Life enslaving those exposed to it. Final Crisis isn’t a Batman title but belongs among them as it contains three huge Batman moments in Grant Morrison’s Batman run, even more impressive as Batman’s appearance is short in this book.  This was a great read, felt an epic event and the heroes are really up against it.

Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn collects Batman and Robin #1-6 and each story is three issues long. In the first three issues, the new Batman and Robin team up for the first time taking on the disturbing Professor Pyg. In the next three issues, the Red Hood returns using lethal force on criminals which Batman and Robin oppose. The highlight of the book is the Batman and Robin relationship with the role reversal of Batman and Robin. Dick Grayson’s Batman is outgoing while Damian Wayne’s Robin is brooding and violent. I’ve read this book before and I’ve always rated it but enjoyed it even more this time around, excellent.

Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin collects Batman and Robin #7-12. In the first three issues, Dick Grayson’s Batman is in London having heard of a potential Lazarus pit. The story also features appearances by Batwoman, The Knight and Squire. In the next three issues the reader finds out about the black sheep of the Wayne family, Thomas Wayne (not Bruce’s father), discoveries in Wayne Manor/the Batcave and Talia al Ghul seeks to control Damian Wayne/Robin, her son. This was a super read.

• 1 year later...

Batman: Time and the Batman collects Batman #700-703. Time and the Batman (Batman #700) is a story with events connecting Batman (Bruce Wayne) and Robin (Dick Grayson) in an early part of their careers, the present day Batman (Dick Grayson) and Robin (Damian Wayne) and the future Batman (Damian Wayne). We also see Batmen that follow Damian-Bats getting a page each and it was cool seeing one of them in this sequence. You’ll likely know the one I’m referring to. The return to Batman #666, Damian-Bats was the highlight of the story.

R.I.P. – The Missing Chapter Part One (Batman #701) looks at what happened to Batman from the end of Batman R.I.P. to the start of Final Crisis. R.I.P. – The Missing Chapter Part Two (Batman #702) shows Batman’s preparation in Final Crisis, what happens to Batman after his confrontation with Darkseid and ends where Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne starts. A great read.

The only story not written by Grant Morrison in this collection, The Great Escape (Batman #703) sees Batman (Dick Grayson) and Robin (Damian Wayne) after a thief who reminds Batman of The Getaway Genius he came across when he was Robin and Bruce Wayne was Batman. A very good story.

Looking at online opinion I rate this book more than others do, it’s so underrated.

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne collects Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6. Bruce Wayne is trying to escape from different eras in time to return to Gotham City.  The time periods are caveman, the witch hunts, pirates, the Wild West, Noir and present day. I’d rank them: pirates, witch hunts, present day, caveman, Noir and the Wild West. I enjoyed the book seeing Bruce Wayne go through these periods in time while finding out the history of Wayne Manor and the Batcave started in Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin. I’d have this as the weakest book of Grant Morrison’s Batman series.

Batman and Robin: Batman Must Die collects Batman and Robin #13-16 and Batman: The Return #1. In Batman and Robin #13-16, Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin have to contend with Doctor Hurt, Professor Pyg and the Joker. Batman: The Return #1 is about Bruce Wayne’s return as Batman putting his plans into action following the surprise ending of Batman and Robin #16.

The first time I read this I hadn’t read some books leading up to it for a while or never like the first two. I liked the book but I wasn’t sure about the ending and Frazer Irving’s art I didn’t like. Having read all the books which came before it now, liking the surprise ending on its own but additionally knowing what it led to and liking Frazer Irving’s art (I’d still prefer Frank Quietly to have drawn it like he did Batman & Robin #1-3 and all the covers), I rate the book a lot more than I did. An excellent book.

I really should finish up Incorporated. Its the last big Morrison and post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint books I haven't read.

I like Irving's art mostly because I dug it during the very short Xombi run from 2011..

• Like 1

On 01 May 2017 at 10:24 AM, Eivion said:

I really should finish up Incorporated. Its the last big Morrison and post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint books I haven't read. I like Irving's art mostly because I dug it during the highly short Xombi run from 2011..

I recommend Batman, Incorporated. It's not at the level of the rest of this run because the standard is so high but it doesn't drop the ball. Least you've finished the entire run then.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

I really should finish up Incorporated. Its the last big Morrison and post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint books I haven't read.

I like Irving's art mostly because I dug it during the very short Xombi run from 2011..

I mean, Inc. falls both pre and post Flashpoint but does a pretty good job ignoring the reboot. It does have some weird timing stuff in regards to how it lines up with other books at the time but if you're just reading it alone that's not an issue.

• Like 1

The only real issues flashpoint causes it are Babs and Steph disappearing, Dick suddenly being Nightwing again, and some costume weirdness (the last part got somewhat smoothed over in the Absolute edition when they redid some artwork to put flashback Batman in the Neal Adams costume)

• Like 1

For those who don't know, Tim Seeley has been following up on a ton of stuff from Morrison's run in his Dick Grayson series. In Grayson he obviously delved into Spyral and Dr. Dedalus, but his most recent arc of Nightwing had Dick and Damian face off with Professor Pyg and...

Simon Hurt.

All of it has been a blast.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

For those who don't know, Tim Seeley has been following up on a ton of stuff from Morrison's run in his Dick Grayson series. In Grayson he obviously delved into Spyral and Dr. Dedalus, but his most recent arc of Nightwing had Dick and Damian face off with Professor Pyg and...

Reveal hidden contents

Simon Hurt.

This makes me smile. May have to pick up those Nightwing issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

I dug the first volume, but not quite enough to pick up back issue. I didn't realize Dick was teaming Damien again. Might have rethink waiting for trades.

Arc just ended and trade is likely only a few months out. Tbh for a lot of the twice monthly books the trades hit fast enough that trade waiting isn't a bad option, something I'm sure they considered when setting the schedule.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Yeah. I posted about it in the DC Omnibus thread. The original is maybe my favourite Batman story ever so I'm pretty jazzed.

I missed that post. I've liked it now. 

On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 9:16 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Reveal hidden contents

Simon Hurt.

On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 1:58 PM, WholeFnMachine said:

It's well worth your time, I've been digging the hell out of it, Seeley is doing a bang up job.

Do you have the issue numbers if I feel like getting them? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I attended a comic fair over the weekend. I was able to get Batman and Robin #1 featuring Dick Grayson as Batman, Damian Wayne as Robin for £5.00 and Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) #13 for £1.00. I was chuffed with these purchases. Batman and Robin #1 was the first issue from my favourite part of Grant Morrison's Batman run and Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) #13 concluded Morrison's Batman tenure.

Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1) collects Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1) #1-8 and Batman: Leviathan Strikes. In Batman, Incorporated #1-8 Batman is building an army of heroes around the world under the Batman banner so Batman is everywhere and to do battle with a new evil threat upon the world, a terrorist group in large numbers led by Leviathan.

Batman: Leviathan Strikes first story sees Stephanie Brown’s Batgirl infiltrate a school where teenage girls are trained to be supplied for international clientele, including Leviathan. Batman: Leviathan Strikes second story sees Bruce Wayne’s Batman, Dick Grayson’s Batman, Red Robin and Damian Wayne’s Robin take on Leviathan as Batman, Incorporated members battles with Leviathan’s agents. Batman: Leviathan Strikes marks the last time Bruce Wayne’s Batman wore this suit, I believe the last time Dick Grayson was Batman (very sad), the last time any Batsuit had trunks and the last appearance of Stephanie Brown as Batgirl. Batman: Leviathan Strikes was the best story in the book. I enjoyed this book more on a third reading but prefer other books from Grant Morrison’s Batman run.

Batman, Incorporated: Demon Star (The New 52) collects Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) #0-6 and I read this via Batman, a monthly UK magazine which prints recent stories. The end of Grant Morrison’s epic run as Batman, Incorporated battles Leviathan. This marks the first book from the run I followed the previews and it didn’t dilute my enjoyment, not one bit. The highlight issues from it are #0 (co-written with Chris Burnham) shows the beginnings of Batman recruiting people around the world to Batman, Incorporated, #2 about Talia al Ghul, #3 features Matches Malone, #4 has Batman, Incorporated and Leviathan going at it and #5 has the welcome return of Damian as a future Batman seen in Batman #666 and #700. I preferred Vol. 2 of Batman, Incorporated more than Vol. 1.

Batman, Incorporated: Gotham’s Most Wanted (The New 52) collects Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) #7-13 which I read via Batman, a monthly UK magazine which collects recent stories. The end of Grant Morrison’s epic run as Batman, Incorporated battles Leviathan. This and the previous volume are the first books from the run I followed the previews and it didn’t spoil my enjoyment, not one bit. The highlight issues from it are #8, a very eventful issue I won’t spoil, #9 with the fallout to events in the previous issue, #12 as Batman faces The Heretic and Leviathan with the measures he chose in #10 and #13, the last issue of the run. The only complaint I have is Jason Masters additional art (#7-10) and Andrei Bressan’s additional art (#10) compared to Chris Burnham, the regular artist on the book. Shame Burnham couldn’t draw all of them. I preferred Vol. 2 of Batman, Incorporated to Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1).