DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm wondering if we're reading it wrong.  There's a long history of superheroes (including Wally) being sidelined by medical problems that WILL KILL THEM IF THEY EVER EXERT THEMSELVES AGAIN!!!,  only to say "fuck it,  it's me or the world dying today" and coming out stronger for it.  I felt sick and angry when I read the issue, but the more I think about it the more I expect him to spend 6 issues manning the tower only to end up as the cavalry and somehow end up healthy again. 

There's a very good chance you're right, but it's really hard to give them the benefit of the doubt on Wally given all the either broken promises or flat out lies from a few years back.

I'm kinda wondering why Wally doesn't just call Barry and ask him to spend 5 minutes to run back and time and undo the heart punch.  

Anyway, some of youse are way too attached to Wally.  I'm not thrilled with the development, but, from the interviews I've read, the idea is to open up a storyline for Wally, not take him off the canvas again.  It makes some sense to take him out of the Flash role for a bit, since Barry is firmly established as the Flash and probably not dying again any time soon.  And Wally West II is probably around for at least a couple years while the TV show runs.  K

Is Kirby's Fourth World stuff collected anywhere except for the out of print Omnibuses?  I have them in really old black-and-white trades but I'd like to upgrade.

20 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Is Kirby's Fourth World stuff collected anywhere except for the out of print Omnibuses?  I have them in really old black-and-white trades but I'd like to upgrade.

Omnibus is coming in December that looks to cover everything but Mr. Miracle for $150.

Mr. Miracle trade coming in September. $30 for what I believe is the full Kirby series.

• Like 1

The forthcoming Fourth World Omnibus includes the Mr. Miracle run.  Not sure why DC is also releasing MM as a separate volume.  The new Fourth World omnibus includes Kirby's full runs on Mr. Miracle, New Gods, and Forever People, plus his run on "Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen" and a few other Fourth World stories from later on.

Other than that, your options are the black-and-white trades from the 70's. or the OOP omnibuses from about ten years ago.

'/

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

The forthcoming Fourth World Omnibus includes the Mr. Miracle run.  Not sure why DC is also releasing MM as a separate volume.  The new Fourth World omnibus includes Kirby's full runs on Mr. Miracle, New Gods, and Forever People, plus his run on "Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen" and a few other Fourth World stories from later on.

Other than that, your options are the black-and-white trades from the 70's. or the OOP omnibuses from about ten years ago.

'/

Fourth World Omnibus solicit from Diamond:

These are the legendary tales written and illustrated by Jack "King" Kirby that introduced the warring worlds of Apokolips and New Genesis, their rulers, Darkseid and Highfather, and countless heroes and villains including Orion, Lightray, Kalibak, Granny Goodness and more. Witness the return of the Newsboy Legion and the struggle of the New Gods and the Forever People to stop Darkseid's quest for the deadly Anti-Life Equation! This new omnibus edition includes SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #133-139 and 141-148, NEW GODS #1-11, FOREVER PEOPLE #1-11, DC GRAPHIC NOVEL #4: THE HUNGER DOGS and a story from NEW GODS #6 (1984).  

Not sure where you're getting Mister Miracle as being included.

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Not sure where you're getting Mister Miracle as being included.

Bleeding Cool (https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/16/jack-kirbys-fourth-world-make-dc-comics-biggest-ever-omnibus-time-christmas/) and Amazon, among other places.  Don't read advance solicits, so wasn't aware they dropped Miracle from the description.  FWIW, Amazon's listing still lists Mr. Miracle as being included.

Don't really like the move, but I guess they think the new King series can sell a Mister Miracle omnibus on it's own.  Personally, I find the volume considerably less appealing if it's not complete.

I was looking on Amazon this past week and saw some Batman books called Batman Arkham, but each book deals with a certain villains such as Mr. Freeze, Two-Face, Riddle, Poison Ivy, etc. Has anybody read any of those books before? Were they just published to give new readers a look on the history of those villains? They do look interesting though. 

Aquaman: Black Manta. Dug the NEMO story coming to a head. Not really sure I can buy a blatant assassination attempt by the US being forgiven, but the rest was solid enough. I kind of just want to Arthur and Mera finally married though the Fatal Queen stuff is an interesting prospect. Solid overall.

Green Arrow: Island of Scars. Emiko's story of freeing Shado was decent of enough. Feels like the title story was finished a bit too quickly, but was entertaining. The train story was fun. Nothing amazing on the whole, but I'm enjoying the run so far.

On 6/9/2017 at 3:10 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Omnibus is coming in December that looks to cover everything but Mr. Miracle for $150.

Mr. Miracle trade coming in September. $30 for what I believe is the full Kirby series.

This Fall is going to be a busy time for a Kirby-loving fan like myself.  They are reprinting The Demon Omnibus as well

Rebirth reviews:

DC Universe Rebirth Batwoman #3 by Marguerite Bennett and James Tynion IV. Kate Kane meets with the Kali Corporation to see via Julia Pennyworth their plan for the Coryana island. We know this already. The storyline is crawling slowly and I’m out even though I like the character. Batwoman by Greg Rucka, Grant Morrison, JH Williams III and W Haden Blackman had to be read.

DC Universe Rebirth: Super Sons #3 by Peter J. Tomasi. Robin and Superboy rescue a girl while fighting Kid Amazo’s army. A really good issue with legit lols from the banter between asshole Robin and boy scout Superboy I get with this series. For these, I’ve added the book to my subscription.

DC Universe Rebirth: Super Sons #4 by Peter J. Tomasi. It’s Robin and Superboy with Superlex’s involvement taking on Kid Amazo. This issue concluded the first arc and is 4/4 for delivery. The way Damian Wayne speaks to Lex Luthor, he gives no shits. My favourite book from DC’s Rebirth.

35 minutes ago, The Natural said:

DC Universe Rebirth Batwoman #3 by Marguerite Bennett and James Tynion IV. Kate Kane meets with the Kali Corporation to see via Julia Pennyworth their plan for the Coryana island. We know this already. The storyline is crawling slowly and I’m out even though I like the character. Batwoman by Greg Rucka, Grant Morrison, JH Williams III and W Haden Blackman had to be read.

Huh? The actual plans weren't revealed until that issue. It is a bit on the slow side. Feels like it would be a bit better if they just focused on Kate's time there in the past for a full issue.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Huh? The actual plans weren't revealed until that issue. It is a bit on the slow side. Feels like it would be a bit better if they just focused on Kate's time there in the past for a full issue.

I thought it was revealed to the reader/hinted at in #2 while we waited for Kate to find out in #3. We agree on the rest. I wanted to like the book with Kate getting her own series again but it didn't do it for me.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I thought it was revealed to the reader/hinted at in #2 while we waited for Kate to find out in #3. We agree on the rest. I wanted to like the book with Kate getting her own series again but it didn't do it for me.

The other plan was a red herring. The actual plan was revealed in #3. I actually like the banter between Kate & Julia. The plot isn't bad. I just think a solid connection is kind of missing at the moment.