DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Yeah, I don't find most of Final Crisis that hard to follow either. Some of it is easier to place in the DCU with ancillary stuff. The New Gods died, had a war in the afterlife that Darkseid won causing the evil gods to reincarnate on Earth back in Seven Soldiers and slowly build their power base while their living past selves were more in focus. The problem is that they're still dead, just possessing humans, so Darkseid tries to use the Anti-Life Equation, finally found during his time on Earth, to enslave reality and bend it to his will so he can survive. Problem being that his continued existence is destabilizing the multiverse which allows ancient vampire god monitor Mandrakk to escape his eternal prison. I can explain the Monitor stuff too later if needed but that's the Darkseid portion basically.

• Thanks 3

Just finished Dark Nights: Metal & the Resistance. Not sure why the hell the two were separate considering how connected they are. I assume/hope there is an eventual big book that places them together in order. Overall I enjoyed the heck out of the whole thing. I dug the build. I loved the evil Batmen. It was good seeing various people get their big moments. And the team up that shall never be spoken of was hilarious. I also liked where it ended leaving the universe open for bigger things. This was a pretty fun read that leaves me interested in the stuff building off of it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Yeah, I don't find most of Final Crisis that hard to follow either. Some of it is easier to place in the DCU with ancillary stuff. The New Gods died, had a war in the afterlife that Darkseid won causing the evil gods to reincarnate on Earth back in Seven Soldiers and slowly build their power base while their living past selves were more in focus. The problem is that they're still dead, just possessing humans, so Darkseid tries to use the Anti-Life Equation, finally found during his time on Earth, to enslave reality and bend it to his will so he can survive. Problem being that his continued existence is destabilizing the multiverse which allows ancient vampire god monitor Mandrakk to escape his eternal prison. I can explain the Monitor stuff too later if needed but that's the Darkseid portion basically.

Ah, see, this is what I didn't get in that omnibus. First Orion is dead, then they talk about a bullet going back through time, then Batman is the one who fired it? Also, it was really choppy, going back and forth with the Darkseid and Mandrakk storylines that really weren't connected, or at least not connected well.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Darkseid shot the bullet back through time, the Green Lanterns recovered it, Batman had it in his utility belt and then shot Darkseid with it, using his own hubris and weapon against him.

GOTCHA. Thank you! Now that scene makes more sense. Hoopla keeps the checkouts available for a few weeks, so I'll go back and re-read now that I have more of the backstory. I had kinda hoped this particular omnibus would have enough in it so I could understand the background of what was going on. 

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Darkseid shot the bullet back through time, the Green Lanterns recovered it, Batman had it in his utility belt and then shot Darkseid with it, using his own hubris and weapon against him.

Three holy shit moments in Batman's history from Final Crisis (one of my favourite comic book events)

The clones can't take Batman's trauma/memories. Only Batman can endure them.

Batman uses a gun, a once in a lifetime moment.

The man in Batman beats the God in Darkseid.

42 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I remain the only person who appreciates Legion of 3 Wrolds and I don't know why... and its more than geeking out at seeing Kono again

James

I think your enjoyment of Lo3W probably correlates directly to your favorite era of LSH. If it's anything pre-ZH it's a well crafted and enjoyable story. If you are partial to the reboot or threeboot versions, it's really frustrating because so many of those characters got used as shitty cannon fodder.

7 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I think your enjoyment of Lo3W probably correlates directly to your favorite era of LSH. If it's anything pre-ZH it's a well crafted and enjoyable story. If you are partial to the reboot or threeboot versions, it's really frustrating because so many of those characters got used as shitty cannon fodder.

The Threeboot is the only version I've ever really gotten into, and fuck that mini forever.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Threeboot is the only version I've ever really gotten into, and fuck that mini forever.

I liked the revelation that the threeboot LSH was the future of Earth-Prime a lot, it made sense with what Waid set up in early issues.  But I fucking hate the way the Reboot and Threeboot Legions are treated as superfluous, with the Levitz Legion being the only one that matters and has personalities.

4 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I liked the revelation that the threeboot LSH was the future of Earth-Prime a lot, it made sense with what Waid set up in early issues.  But I fucking hate the way the Reboot and Threeboot Legions are treated as superfluous, with the Levitz Legion being the only one that matters and has personalities.

I mean that's basically Johns' ethos post Wally Flash run in a nutshell. "Sure other periods were cool, but the Silver Age must be best at everything!"

Did anyone read the Lex Luthor/Porky Pig comic? I saw this and had to get it and if it was a human, it would be an okay story. But with a humanoid Porky Pig and Daffy Duck as an internet troll is up there with the Archie crossovers with Punisher and Predator. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Did anyone read the Lex Luthor/Porky Pig comic? I saw this and had to get it and if it was a human, it would be an okay story. But with a humanoid Porky Pig and Daffy Duck as an internet troll is up there with the Archie crossovers with Punisher and Predator. 

Archie vs Predator is a God damn masterpiece

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Victator said:

Cover for it makes me think it's Professor Pyg LOL.

• Like 1