DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 1/27/2018 at 6:45 PM, Captain Kronos said:

Is that the "Batman's files get stolen" story? It's a classic, indeed. 

Gotta get past Electric Superman. 

Or as somebody (Huntress?)  referred to him, “Minty-Fresh Superman”

• Like 1

I haven't been following Barry's book, but I found I really didn't need to for the annual.

The Doom Patrol/JLA crossover is fun as hell, though. Those who haven't done so should really give Doom Patrol a shot. It's probably my second favorite book going today.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I await hearing from the DVDVR Wally Squad about this issue. I flipped through it in the store to stay ahead of the spoilers

Personally, I thought it was great fun. I would've liked to see a nod to the fact that Clark remembers Wally rather than it JUST being Barry and the Ten Titans, but it finally gave the character some positive momentum after he just spun his wheels through nearly a year worth of Titans.  And the 25th-century setup for Flash War has me intrigued enough to pick the book up again for the first time since The Button.  And of course, more people remembering things that shouldn't be possible under the Rebirth timeline could be a fuckup or a clue (but it's the same writer as JL/Suicide Squad, so I suspect it's the latter)

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Like Hypertime? 

Not that. The literal "metal" aspect of things. They're connecting Nth metal, the metal of the rings, the chemicals that gave Plastic Man his powers, the Invisible jet, and a dozen other things.

If that is about Bendis taking over both Superman books that is an appropriate response. I hope Tomasi and Gleason are given something really good for this bs. I could even see taking Jurgens off, but giving Bendis both books is bs.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

If that is about Bendis taking over both Superman books that is an appropriate response. I hope Tomasi and Gleason are given something really good for this bs. I could even see taking Jurgens off, but giving Bendis both books is bs.

No, it was about the Metal thing. 

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Gleason at least is staying.

They said the Super Hero Girls stuff sold better in bookstores in 2017 than anything they punished except The Killing Joke.

And then pointed out that's without counting the Scholastic Book Fair market. So it might actually be their best selling book outside the direct market.

So yeah this should be big for them.

Rebirth reviews:

Doomsday Clock #1 by Geoff Johns. DC Universe: Rebirth #1’s major happening was the Watchmen as the storyline cause of the New 52, the Button story resumed from it and here is Doomsday Clock. I enjoyed this issue as Rorschach recruits someone to help Ozymandias find somebody. Good developments about Rorschach/Ozymandias. This issue acts an introduction to what’s happened since the classic Watchmen (1986) book. Like the supplementary material returning about things as seen in the main story. There’s an effective one page teasers of things to come. My local comic shop saved me the lenticular Rorschach cover which was a pleasant surprise.

Doomsday Clock #2 by Geoff Johns. Ozymandias/Rorschach enters the DC Universe seeking the two smartest men there, Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor to find Jon. I really liked this issue for Bruce having a psych test as Rorschach did in Watchmen, Veidt meeting Luthor, a tease of Batman/Rorschach and the Supermen Theory angle expanded on in the material after the main story. Series is 2-0 so far.

Doomsday Clock #3 by Geoff Johns. Rorschach II after entering the Batcave last issue hands Batman the original Rorschach’s journal, explaining things in Watchmen. There’s a funny page of Rorschach waiting as Batman’s reading it. A good issue for this and things I won’t spoil. The backup expands on something touched on in the main story. I’ve learnt Doomsday Clock is now a bi-monthly for delays. It’s my first event comic read in real time. I’m fine with delays providing the story and art by Gary Frank are of the same quality so far.

• Like 1

Rebirth reviews:

Super Sons of Tomorrow crosses over Superman #37, Super Sons #11, Teen titans #15, Superman #38 and Teen Titans #12. A Tim Drake Batman of tomorrow is there to take out Superboy and save the future. This sucked for a number of reasons. I don’t buy crossover issues to books I don’t get but did here as I enjoy Super Sons and the tease of Batman #666. He only appears in a single panel. The heel-face turn by Batman Drake just like that from nowhere. The way the Teen Titans behave to Superboy at the end with the exception of Robin. A waste of time and money. One other thing, paying for pages previewing things. I still would be down on this even if I just got Super Sons.

I didn't know Doomsday Clock was switching to a bi-monthly schedule till just now.

Um, how does that work, since Doomsday Clock is set a year into the DC Universe's future, and the rest of the line was supposed to catch up as time went on?

This seems appropriate.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:08 AM, odessasteps said:

star-trek-facepalm-doh.jpg