DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Finished rereading Hitch's Justice League run this morning.  I'm usually reluctant to be too critical - I'll say something is average and not working for me before I'll just say it sucks - but, yeah, JL is kinda bad.  Hitch didn't seem to be up to the task as a writer.  He doesn't have a track record as a writer - one solo project and a handful of scripts he got credited as co-writer on - so I dunno what he said that made DC think he could write.  I guess when Bryan Hitch wants to work on your book, you look at the sales charts and then let Bryan Hitch work on your book.

Anyway, nothing worked here for me.  Muddled plotting; vague, uninteresting enemies; some really bad dialogue; cookie-cutter characterizations.  I'm sure there are a lot worse runs, but I didn't read them.  

KInda disappointing.  I'm not a big JL fan, but I really enjoyed Johns' book, and this seemed to squander all the momentum Johns built.

4 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Finished rereading Hitch's Justice League run this morning.  I'm usually reluctant to be too critical - I'll say something is average and not working for me before I'll just say it sucks - but, yeah, JL is kinda bad.  Hitch didn't seem to be up to the task as a writer.  He doesn't have a track record as a writer - one solo project and a handful of scripts he got credited as co-writer on - so I dunno what he said that made DC think he could write.  I guess when Bryan Hitch wants to work on your book, you look at the sales charts and then let Bryan Hitch work on your book.

Anyway, nothing worked here for me.  Muddled plotting; vague, uninteresting enemies; some really bad dialogue; cookie-cutter characterizations.  I'm sure there are a lot worse runs, but I didn't read them.  

KInda disappointing.  I'm not a big JL fan, but I really enjoyed Johns' book, and this seemed to squander all the momentum Johns built.

I blame you for reading it in the first place. I'm almost caught up on Orlando's JLA and I'm sort of amazed he's run this far with such an oddball concept. I'm not sure I'd say it's great or anything. It reminds me the most of the best possible post Giffen/Dematteis/pre-Morrison Justice League or the best stuff in Justice League Task Force or something. Just oddball DC. I am glad it exists in 2017-8. 

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I blame you for reading it in the first place.

Guilty.  In fact, i read it twice.  I read the first two arcs when they came out, and promptly dropped the book.  Somehow, i got persuaded to give it another shot and read the entire run over again.

2 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Guilty.  In fact, i read it twice.  I read the first two arcs when they came out, and promptly dropped the book.  Somehow, i got persuaded to give it another shot and read the entire run over again.

By who?

Owner of my local comic shop. who also gave me a great deal to pick up the rest of the run from 12-on (basically, the book started selling terribly in our area, and the lcs over-ordered a number of issues).

Owner claims he likes the run a lot, though i'm wondering if he just said that to make a sale.

Spent the last 3-4 weeks reading Rebirth trades along catching up with 3-4 months of Batwoman and Detective Comics.

Read New Super-man Vol. 2 which caused me to also go ahead and pick up the next six issues and read what would have been Vol. 3 as well. I do so enjoy that book. I like watching Kenji grow. Its nice seeing DC build up a different are of the world in China. And I dig the knock-off Chinese Justice league that has formed. This book is so fun.

Green Arrow Vol. 4: Rise of Star City was neat. It was nice seeing Roy reconnect, and I dug the direction they went to create Star City.

Aquaman Vol. 3: Crown of Atlantis was interesting, I dug things seemingly looking up finally only for Arthur to basically lose the crown due to a lack of confidence in his rule.

Thought Super Sons Vol. 1. When I Grow Up. I like that Damian and Jon show absolutely no signs of friendship yet with Jon thinking Damian is insane. Its nice that this is a relationship that will really have to build up. Also makes it more fun whenever we see do see Bruce and Clark together along with their own friendship. Dug this one quite a bit. Looking forward to the next volume.

Titans Vol 2. Made in Manhattan. Dug the stuff with the Hive and Bumblebee, and it was nice seeing the Roy and Donna relationship build.

Deathstroke Vol 1-3. Slade as a truly psychotic bastard trying to connect to and protect his family in the worst ways possible is so damn fun.

Suicide Squad Vol. 4: Earthlings on Fire. Dug Waller finally taking out Harcort, Zod blowing up in her face, and Waller accepting responsibility for said blow up. As much as I do think Waller is well written I'm still mixed on her as I will always prefer the woman who was more torn about her decisions on the inside. It was especially fun back then since it also allowed her to reach a weird common ground with the team. I hope they reach that at some point. Found it interesting that they took Flag now. Its actually not super far away from the amount of issues he lasted in the original series, especially if you add vs. Justice League to to this run. He also died in similar kamikaze manner though I do like that he went out more a hero this time around. Was not too fond at all at Harley being named the new team member. I was really hoping they would finally bring in Bronze Tiger. Its still odd how they never use him for the modern team considering how important he was to the original one. Anyways a good read.

The stuff with Scarecrow in Batwoman was ok, but nothing super memorable. They really need to just say fuck it and get any of Rucka, JH Williams, or Blackman back.

Detective Comics #963-971. Dug the hell out of Lonely Place of Living and really just enjoyed the general build of everything leading into Fall of Batmen. Will be fun seeing how it all plays out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pro-red briefs for Supes and always have been, I can't really explain the why. It just always worked for me. Let them tweak the batsuit all they want but Supes just feels right with the classic underpants on the outside

James

Mime and Marionette's son is possibly one of the Jokers? From looking at one of the next covers, the killing Joke version might be their son?  

Dr.Manhattan obviously screwed with the DC universe and time but will they retcon him as the blue hand that created the universe? 

just read Nightwing: New Order. picked up all 6 issues as they came out, but avoided spoilers and read them in one sitting. was hesitant going in, based on the premise, but i found myself enjoying it. fun ride.  nothing too shocking or crazy, but a solid story.

also just saw the rosters for the four new Justice League teams.  umm, what?

for those unaware:

Team Mystery- Martian Manhunter, Sinestro, Superman, Starfire, Starro
Team Entropy - Lobo, Lex Luthor, Beast Boy, Batman, Deathstroke
Team Wonder- Raven, Doctor Fate, Zatanna, Wonder Woman, Etrigan
Team Wisdom- Cyborg, Harley Quinn, Atom, Flash, Robin (Damian Wayne)

On 11/7/2017 at 8:01 AM, Matt D said:

That sounds terrible. Give him Suicide Squad, Manhunter, and The Question

Bendis loves himself some noirish action chix. Manhunter or Question (both please) would be right up his alley. Let's get him back to his gritty roots. Enough comedy team books for now. 

JLA: The Deluxe Edition #1

I remember liking this a lot more back in the day. Decent characterization - Wally, Kyle, and Connor are particularly likable. But the art is mediocre, and the stories are big and loud and empty. (Despite Morrison's attempts to do epic on a whole new level, with honest-to-gawd angels attacking.) 

It was a chore to get through.

I picked up vol 1-5 in the year end comixology sale. But for now, I am not motivated to revisit the other volumes. 

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

also just saw the rosters for the four new Justice League teams.  umm, what?

for those unaware:

Team Mystery- Martian Manhunter, Sinestro, Superman, Starfire, Starro
Team Entropy - Lobo, Lex Luthor, Beast Boy, Batman, Deathstroke
Team Wonder- Raven, Doctor Fate, Zatanna, Wonder Woman, Etrigan
Team Wisdom- Cyborg, Harley Quinn, Atom, Flash, Robin (Damian Wayne)

Its a weekly Justice League event and is supposed to be somewhat related to Metal, dealing with dangerous multiverse villains that go beyond what they are used to seeing on Earth. The villain team up is actually supposed to be a suggestion from Braniac. I've not read Metal, but this has me kind of interested for Team Wonder alone. Can't say I care for Harley or Beast Boy being involved. The latter especially just feels so off and kind of lame with everyone else involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragonzombie said:

Isn't that only for the event?

53 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its a weekly Justice League event and is supposed to be somewhat related to Metal, dealing with dangerous multiverse villains that go beyond what they are used to seeing on Earth. The teams villain team up is actually supposed to be a suggestion from Braniac. I've not read Metal, but this has me kind of interested for Team Wonder alone. Can't say I care for Harley or Beast Boy being involved. The latter especially just feels so off and kind of lame with everyone else involved.

ahh, i missed the 4 one-week issues when i read the article earlier. thanks for the clarification!