DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Johns basically spent two years of Teen Titans building up Infinite Crisis as well. Outsiders led in heavily too and there were a ton of other lead-in arcs elsewhere. It really was a great example of the sweeping deal working well with every book leading into it in ways that were meaningful but didn't require reading everything else to get, so the more DC you read the more enriching it was while still allowing every book to work on its own merit.

Then a lot of that build got sidelined by something completely different, which was fine and cool in its own ways but not really what we were promised. It's basically the problem with Iron Man 3 but if you had two full years of build before that rug got pulled.

In other news, Priest's Justice League run started off in a really great Priest way. His Batman compliments Tom King's very well, honestly.

17 hours ago, twiztor said:

sad to see Tim Seeley off Nightwing. He had a tremendous run on Grayson and his Nightwing run has been above average as well.

What is the general thoughts on Tim Seeley on Grayson?  I want to give it a try it seems like a fun book.

7 hours ago, Justin877 said:

What is the general thoughts on Tim Seeley on Grayson?  I want to give it a try it seems like a fun book.

I've read the first two books from it. The first is very good, it's fun. The second book wasn't as.  I'm open to character changes depending how they turn out  and for the most part this goes for Dick Grayson, though again going by the first book.

Rebirth reviews via a new UK title, All Star Batman reprinting them:

Nightwing: Rebirth #1. The issue acts as a history of Dick Grayson particularly his Agent 37 in Spyral run, his most recent before he returns as Nightwing here in DC Rebirth. Out of the Rebirth one-shot before a series started proper, this is the best by far. I really enjoyed it looking at Dick’s history and seeing Dick with Damian Wayne, love their partnership/interactions.

All-Star Batman #2. Batman’s journey with Two-Face continues as he has to contend with villains wanting it to end. A good issue, this series is probably louder to Scott’s previous Bat books. I get to see Snyder use different baddies for the first time from Two-Face to Killer Croc.

9 hours ago, Justin877 said:

Most of the time I saw it referenced many thought it was good. Personally I thought it was a a little weird and maybe too fast paced, but otherwise pretty fun. It was by Seeley and King.

• Like 1

I thought Grayson was a blast. Really good extension of who Dick is and very fun, fast paced stuff which basically gave Midnighter a second life at DC and had a ton of Morrison callback stuff. It's a fun ride. Unfortunately, Seeley and King had to bounce before the finale to get a head start on Batman and Nightwing respectively, so they didn't see it through to the end. Your mileage may vary on the guys who took it over. I thought they were fine, others felt it was a dropoff. Only way to see where you fall is to get there, I guess.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I thought Grayson was a blast. Really good extension of who Dick is and very fun, fast paced stuff which basically gave Midnighter a second life at DC and had a ton of Morrison callback stuff. It's a fun ride. Unfortunately, Seeley and King had to bounce before the finale to get a head start on Batman and Nightwing respectively, so they didn't see it through to the end. Your mileage may vary on the guys who took it over. I thought they were fine, others felt it was a dropoff. Only way to see where you fall is to get there, I guess.

this is almost exactly my take as well.

Dick Grayson/Nightwing is my #1 favorite comic book character of all time. i was hesitant about this series because it was such a drastic change (and it came after his horrendous portrayal in 'Forever Evil') but Seeley & King knocked it out of the park. So much crazy fun spy stuff. The tone was picture perfect. The action was always great. A recommendation on the highest order.

• Like 1

Oh my god. The DC Holiday Special has a Sgt. Rock story by Tom King and Francesco Francavella that's worth the price of admission alone.

But the framing story having Bibbo and Constantine interact is a lot of fun too. And frankly so is the Batman and GA shorts. Only halfway done or so but very pleased with it.

EDIT: Okay, Priest writing a Deathstroke Christmas is pretty great too.

• Like 1

Rebirth reviews:

Super Sons Annual #1 by Peter J. Tomasi. There’s dog-nappings going on so it’s fitting Krypto and Titus, the Super-Pets take up the case. A fun annual, the brief appearances of the Super Sons make the story as Robin and Superboy talk to one another. It’s Batboy and Corn-cob as they label the other.

Batman Annual #2 by Tom King. The story is about Batman and Catwoman from the beginning to ending years later. I picked this up with the reviews received, I timed it right getting a copy saved at my comic shop. The story is really good, the feeling come with the later years when both are old. This part is moving. The art is great by Lee Weeks and Michael Lark. The book’s a right looker.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:58 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Oh my god. The DC Holiday Special has a Sgt. Rock story by Tom King and Francesco Francavella that's worth the price of admission alone.

But the framing story having Bibbo and Constantine interact is a lot of fun too. And frankly so is the Batman and GA shorts. Only halfway done or so but very pleased with it.

EDIT: Okay, Priest writing a Deathstroke Christmas is pretty great too.

Yes to all of this. There's a Rucka Batman/Wonder Woman tale which doesn't have a ton of meat to it but was still really good for what it was. Nice little package.

Look, Action Comics is not the best DC comic, but it definitely hits my nostalgia sweet spot better than anything DC's done in ten years. I probably enjoy it more than anything in the line. It just feels so right to me and I think everyone who choose to read DC comics (more than Marvel or Image or whatever else) wants it to feel right as much as anything else.

I'm really so very happy I spent nearly a hundred bucks on The Fourth World omnibus only for it to have a missing page (they printed page a page a second time instead of the right page about a hundred pages later)

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm really so very happy I spent nearly a hundred bucks on The Fourth World omnibus only for it to have a missing page (they printed page a page a second time instead of the right page about a hundred pages later)

They had to do that because the page in question secretly had the anti-life equation on it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

They had to do that because the page in question secretly had the anti-life equation on it.

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side

Stop being such a Hunger Dog, Fowler.

• Like 3

tbh I don't trust DC Omnibus editions as a rule? They tend to be sloppily designed reading wise, losing a lot to the gutters and they've had too many issues of 'missing a page/wrong page/other printing error' for that price point to be acceptable. It's weird because DC *kills* at premium format books otherwise. I love the Absolute line and I think their premiere hardcovers tend to be nice. But Marvel absolutely smokes them on Omnibus editions for some reason.

Re: Doomsday Clock #2:

This was better because it was more bonkers. I just hated all of the DCU stuff. Gotham turning against Batman is so dull. Luthor being OLD EEEEEEVIIIIILLL Luthor instead of interesting quasi-superman Luthor is boring. Watchmen interacting with the DCU so blatantly is better though, just because it's so out there.