DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think Flash picks up for an old school Flash reader. The current arc has a bunch of pre crisis nods. 

So, come back to it through the 2nd trade and see? 

I love Hoopla. They get the digital trades of Rebirth books right away. 

• Like 1

Nobody Dies is one of the finest single issue stories ever.

Nu52 Barry book was okay (it helps that I got the omnibus of the Manapul/Booch run for a preposterously low price) with some amazing art, but nobody has ever managed to write Barry in a way that I find him particularly interesting, including some really great writers.

So, knowing the pace that Frank Miller comics tend to come out at, I bought every issue of DKIII without reading them (potentially very stupid, I know) and tonight I finally sat down with them and read it...

I have no clue how much input Frank actually had (I know Azz scripted) but that was a damn fine comic story. Superman's big moment in the last issue was amazing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, knowing the pace that Frank Miller comics tend to come out at, I bought every issue of DKIII without reading them (potentially very stupid, I know) and tonight I finally sat down with them and read it...

I have no clue how much input Frank actually had (I know Azz scripted) but that was a damn fine comic story. Superman's big moment in the last issue was amazing.

Like to read it having read Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Check out Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade by Miller, Azzarello and Romita Jr. if you haven't. One of the best comic books last year with Vision (the best), Dark Night: A True Batman Story and DC Universe Rebirth #1.

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

My library isn't part of hoopla, gotta figure out if I can get a library card for Mt. Pleasant.  Or have my mom get one and use it for hoopla, I guess

If you can find it somehow, it's very useful for reading DC/Vertigo, Image, and Dark Horse books. They have a great selection, and it's always growing. 

Also lots of good audiobooks. Sadly, my library only allows 10 items a month. But unlike Overdrive, what you want is always available. (sometimes there's a waitlist on Overdrive, just like with physical books) 

54 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Yeah. Miller's new DC output has been great to the point I'm legitimately hyped for Superman: Year One with JR Jr. and DK4 whenever they happen.

I don't mind a bit of conservatism with my superheroes -- both Batman and Superman can easily be fascist in their way, which can lead to interesting stories. But has Miller toned down the foaming at the mouth right wing politics of some of his later books, like Holy Terror

I liked All Star B&R - it was a bugnuts crazy satire of the Batman concept, taking things to their logical end. I hope that's what Miller intended. :lol:

On 7/3/2017 at 6:46 PM, The Natural said:

I reserved those two Wonder Woman books from my library, I quickly scrolled down while I'm waiting for them.

On 7/3/2017 at 10:04 PM, jaedmc said:

Can't wait to hear what you think.

Wonder Woman (Vol. 1): The Lies collects Wonder Woman: Rebirth and Wonder Woman #1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 by Greg Rucka. Wonder Woman: Rebirth #1, the title character is confused about her story/life events, in turn we are. This goes into the main series proper with an addition, she can’t find Themyscira either so asks for help from Cheetah. I enjoyed the book more second time around. I liked Diana’s doubt over her memories, what’s real and what’s not? Diana’s three warnings were a bad ass moment.

Wonder Woman (Vol. 2): Year One collects Wonder Woman #2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 by Greg Rucka. The title story takes place over six issues and I really enjoyed it as origin stories a favourite of mine seeing how things begin for the character. We get Diana in Themyscira, the cost to Diana leaving there for our world, how she reacts to it and how they do to her. The terrorist attack sends shivers. The art in the story by Nicola Scott also appeals. #14 is an origin issue for Dr Barbara Minerva and peaks in the first few pages as her Dad disapproves of a young Barbara’s interest in fantasy. One of the best books from DC’s Rebirth.

• Like 2

I've been trying to figure out why the plot centric issues of the War of Jokes and Riddles aren't really landing with me, and honestly I think it's mostly down to the escalation of body counts in comics, particularly Batman ones. King is trying to play this as the worst outbreak of violence Gotham ever saw and having things like 100+ people dying in a fight between Deadshot and Deathstroke. But like...it's all tell. And we've had years and years of Batman stories where Joker kills 100+ people minimum per escape. The issue with Kite Man felt super personal and grounded the loss in personal experience with a character we empathized with. This just tells you a lot of people died.

Also, it's all recap style in double page spreads. It's not awesome to hear "Deadshot and Deathstroke had a real goddamner of a fight!" I wanna know how that happened. What did they DO? Statue style poses are cool and the kickoff where they had bullets collide ruled but like...talking about these awesome fights between them with no personality shown and just static poses shown could just as well be a statue or fanart or something. And that's the issue. They keep trying to use these villains in big ways, but none of it rings true because we don't have any real understanding of why they're involved or how their personalities affect it. And since it's centering on the destruction, we're not really getting anything out of Joker or Riddler either, so ultimately this is just Batman being sad because his villains did a thing and people died...which is a majority of Batman stories over the last twenty years.

Really hoping it pulls together because I like a lot of the ideas here, but this is the first real miss from King for me since the first arc. And for similar reasons.

• Like 1

New month, new round of Hoopla slots. Here's what I have borrowed: 

48306189_capture.jpg

I make no promises about how many I will get read. It's all new to me except:

• Hawkman vol 1 - I read the whole series in trades about 10 years ago, so it should be pretty fresh for me.
  • Flash Nu52 vol 1 - I read the first few issues when it was first released. 
  • Savage Sword vol 1 - I have read the first few stories, I think. (I know, not DC) 

The Hal Jordan book is Emerald Dawn I and II. I understand that's fairly controversial, and I am interested in reading it. 

Emerald Dawn is only really controversial because the writer got arrested for being a pedophile. Nothing in the content is super contentious.

Trick for Hoopla? Stagger your rentals. Grab them throughout the month so you have scaling return dates. Turns the 21st into less of a mad dash to read. Also, I'm hella jealous. My library only provides 6 titles/month.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Emerald Dawn is only really controversial because the writer got arrested for being a pedophile. Nothing in the content is super contentious.

Trick for Hoopla? Stagger your rentals. Grab them throughout the month so you have scaling return dates. Turns the 21st into less of a mad dash to read. Also, I'm hella jealous. My library only provides 6 titles/month.

Dang it, I was hoping to read some ALL STAR BATMAN & ROBIN levels of nuttiness in that Hal Jordan book. Oh, well. :P

I always plan to stagger my checkouts, and sometimes I am good about it. But then I get greedy and just start clicking. 

We get 10 items a month, but the 10th one I got was not a comic. My brother's library allows 15 items. 

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

I remember there was a vocal fan contimgent that hated the idea of Hal Jordan being a recovering alcoholic and that came right from Emerald Dawn

James

It was on sale a year or two ago on comixology, and I remember asking about it on the marvelmasterworks forums. The guys there are not fans of the story, which is where I heard of there being controversy. 

I have read a lot of GL, but it's primarily been the Hal Reborn era and Nu52. So I don't have any silver/bronze/post-crisis baggage. (and no, I have not read the Parralax stuff, though like Doomsday it seems impossible to avoid ever since) 

Oh hey fair on that controversy. I tend to ignore Hal fans since I always thought (and maintain) that his arc as Parallax to the Spectre was the most interesting he ever got. I've softened on that a bit, but only because Silver Age stories and some later ones where he's a total dick can be fun in their own way too. The Hal who creates a sentient monster to get out of being proposed to in his hero identity and effectively locking out his civilian identity only to get KO'd by a falling branch leaving that monster rampaging and having an existential crisis which ends only when Hal kills it once he wakes up? That's a Hal who is at least interesting. Heroic brave but kinda cocky Hal is boring as fuck.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Oh hey fair on that controversy. I tend to ignore Hal fans since I always thought (and maintain) that his arc as Parallax to the Spectre was the most interesting he ever got. I've softened on that a bit, but only because Silver Age stories and some later ones where he's a total dick can be fun in their own way too. The Hal who creates a sentient monster to get out of being proposed to in his hero identity and effectively locking out his civilian identity only to get KO'd by a falling branch leaving that monster rampaging and having an existential crisis which ends only when Hal kills it once he wakes up? That's a Hal who is at least interesting. Heroic brave but kinda cocky Hal is boring as fuck.

Here's a fun blog post I found on that topic just now while searching for that info on that monster story. Item #7 references the monster. 

https://screamsheet.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/7-things-i-learned-from-silver-age-green-lantern/

• Like 2