odessasteps

DC Comics omnibus thread

2,021 posts in this topic

Anyone ever read the Batman/Wildcat trade? I was curious how decent of a read is it.

It's okay. If you like that chuck/beau brand of stuff, it's that. 

On 7/3/2017 at 5:46 PM, The Natural said:

From the latest Super Sons:

Super Sons

tumblr_orwhs0E8991r1j2boo1_1280.jpg

DC Universe Rebirth: Super Sons #5 by Peter J. Tomasi. After verbals to one another, things turn physical as Robin and Superboy fight. A great issue for this with bonus appearances from Alfred, Lois Lane, Superman and Batman adding to this issue’s content. This is such a fun and funny series with the chemistry between Damian Wayne and Jon Kent. My favourite series on the shelves. Alisson Borges is the artist instead of the regular one, Jorge Jiminez and she fits in. Good job by Borges as sometimes a change in artist can/can’t work out.

Honestly I think one of the big strengths of Rebirth is how they match up artists with similar styles to keep a steady look through the twice monthlies and fill ins. None are identical but it's never jarring.

3 people like this

Read All-Star Batman Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy. Dug this a decent bit. Was nice as a battle between Dent, Two-Face, and Bruce over ideologies. It was also good to see KGBeast return. I thought Snyder gave him a solid update backstory wise. The secondary story with Duke was also pretty solid. Never read Robins so it was good learning more baout him and how he ticks. He makes a good partner for Bruce though I wish they would give him a name already.

1 person likes this

Maybe I am such an old stick in the mud, but ive not been enjoying this  Batman arc because I can't get used to the riddler being as equally homicidal and crazy as the joker. 

So amazingly, both Marvel and DC had Knightfall references this week.

That said, if you only check out one it should be New Super-man because people are seriously sleeping on it and it's easily one of the best Rebirth titles.

If the new KFC comic having Col. Sanders get a Green Lantern ring because Larfleeze stole his zingers wasn't enough, Sanders seeing the Source Wall and thinking "This could use a billboard" absolutely killed me.

1 person likes this

Early SDCC News and Rumour roundup.

Grant Morrison is working on Wonder Woman Earth One vol. 2 right now. He's got more superhero stuff coming from DC too, including Arkham Asylum 2 with Chris Burnham, featuring the Damian Wayne Batman.

Bleeding Cool con rumours include that Teen Titans and Titans will be merging, and also that Mr. Oz is...

Pre-Crisis Jor-El.

1 person likes this

Better than the big bad being 

Spoiler

Earth 2 Superman

Putting on the old man hat, I dread the Watchmen thing and already don't like the DC Metal thing. I mean how many times can we go back to "dark versions of characters?" 

Johns confirmed that it is Dr. Manhattan as the big bad which kills any interest i nthis project for me now.I'd rather be sweved tan have it all be predictable and thus dull.

James

If they tell a good story, I don't really need or want to be swerved.  That's my problem with the Bleeding Cool rumor.  It's enough of a hook if they go the obvious route and make Mr. Oz exactly who you think he is 9 (might be).  Throwing that character in the spoiler into the mix just complicates things because it's so far away from what you expect from that character that the plot will have to jump through a lot of hoops to make sense of it all.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

If they tell a good story, I don't really need or want to be swerved.  That's my problem with the Bleeding Cool rumor.  It's enough of a hook if they go the obvious route and make Mr. Oz exactly who you think he is 9 (might be).  Throwing that character in the spoiler into the mix just complicates things because it's so far away from what you expect from that character that the plot will have to jump through a lot of hoops to make sense of it all.

Honestly, I feel like it kind of adds to the emotional weight of the character and the reasons for things happening as they are. Apparently this all goes back to the ending of Convergence:

With Parallax and the post-Crisis Superman and other heroes going to fight the Anti-Monitor and stopping the original Multiverse from being collapsed, pre-Crisis Barry/Supergirl never died and there's still an infinite multiverse...which begs the question of why the Prime Earth is still in a system of 52 but I dunno this is gonna get real complicated real fast.

Announced at SDCC: 

Superman: Year One

Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.

I'm pretty pumped actually.

1 person likes this

I'm intrigued at least. JRJr at DC still just feels weird to me though.

On that note... That DC masterclass panel sounded both awesome and like a nice subtle shot at Marvel and their "artists don't move books anymore" thing.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm intrigued at least. JRJr at DC still just feels weird to me though.

Same here with how long John Romita Jr was at Marvel Comics for.

Romita Jr. did a great job on art for Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade.

I also liked his work for the first All-Star Batman arc with Scott Snyder.

He was my first favorite artist, way way back when.

1 person likes this