DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

the Morrison run is my favorite Bat-run ever also. i've read everything, and that had the most resonance.  Even ignoring Dick Grayson as Batman (which was utterly awesome, especially with Damian Robin!), he was just so out there while still keeping stuff grounded. just amazing. the ideas he put forth and the stuff he created, not to mention the stuff he brought back, really brought home everything. 

Snyder is good. i like a lot of his ideas. i was iffy on the idea of Gordon in a mech Bat suit, but he made it work. Non-Batman Bruce Wayne was fantastic in that story. and the Black Mirror is phenomenal. Court of Owls was solid, Lincoln March was good. Death of the Family didn't do much for me tho.

• Like 2

I havent really liked much of anything from Snyder. A lot of it just seemed derivative of other stuff or older bat ideas. 

I love Morrison, but thought most of the Bat stuff was fine but nothing compated to things like JLA, let alone Animal Man or Doom Patrol or Zenith. 

• Like 1

I know I've said this before, but the high praise for Snyder's New 52 Batman stuff baffles me (his stuff with Dick on Tec was great) because, you know, it's fine but nothing special. His villains kinda suck, his big ideas never quite seem fully formed. It's not bad, but it's not nearly as good people treat as being.

• Like 1

Still need to finish International, but I generally like Morrison's run though I don't have the same love for it others do.Not sure if I rate Snyder's stuff higher than Morrison, but I don't rate him much lower if lower at all. I think he has interesting ideas that mostly payoff. I think he gets into trouble a bit though when he tries to rewrite history for Bat mythos, but I can't help but feel that was more on the New 52 in general than Snyder himself. Personally, I wish Dick was still Batman with Snyder writing him.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I know I've said this before, but the high praise for Snyder's New 52 Batman stuff baffles me (his stuff with Dick on Tec was great) because, you know, it's fine but nothing special. His villains kinda suck, his big ideas never quite seem fully formed. It's not bad, but it's not nearly as good people treat as being.

Honestly, I would take the Court of Owls over most of Morrison's villains. I also like Mother and Bloom a decent bit.

• Like 1

Spent some time last night on Amazon, browsing for upcoming collections.  Really do dig DC's push to collect/recollect older material.  Saw book one of a DnA Legion collection (Legion Lost has been collected, the actual Legion run by DnA was never fully collected).  They're also going to collect some pretty obscure stuff.  Never thought I'd see a omnibus editions of the Detroit Justice League stories or fricking Night Force.  Night Force!  Also saw some oddities like Kamandi and the 70 Demon series, but the answer there is Kirby, of course.  Lol, Rachel Pollack Doom Patrol run getting collected.  Wasn't that basically a flop?  I don't recall it selling well or being well-received (from what I remember, she tried aping Morrison's weirdness a little too closely).

Giffen/Dematteis Justice League looks to be getting collected.  Was it ever collected in tpb?  I don't remember JL getting collected in tpb, and given the time period, it wouldn't be surprising if it wasn't.  That should make some people happy, I guess.

I'm to think of some 80's/90's run that's never been collected in full that I really want to see in tpb, and I'm mostly drawing a blank  Probably a number of good books that could use the omnibus treatment, but I'm drawing a blank right now. Shade the Changing Man would be one.  Only the first year-and-a-half of Milligan's six-year run ever got collected.  The Owsley Power Man and Iron Fist stories have been criminally neglected.  Other than that, I'm coming up short.  Memory is failing me.  Most major runs have gotten collected somewhere, somehow by now.

Mister Miracle coming from the Sheriff of Babylon team of Tom King and Mitch Gerads. 12 issues, pretty much being set up as a spiritual successor to King's Vision run. Given how good that series was, this will be must read.

EDIT: Mitch Gerads is the artist on Sheriff of Babylon, not Vision which was Gabriel Hernandez Walta.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Mister Miracle coming from the Vision team of Tom King and Mitch Gerads. 12 issues, pretty much being set up as a spiritual successor. Given how good that series was, this will be must read.

acb.jpg\\\

Always liked the character and Tom King is an instant buy right now.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Well, on a personal opinion note, the Morrison Batman mega run is my favorite Batman ever.

But then I'm not a HUGE Batman fan.

I'm a big Batman fan, read a lot of Batman and Grant Morrison's run is the best on the character. Grant's Batman stories would make up a majority of my list ranking Batman's Best Stories. Batman: Year One still remains my #1.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:05 AM, twiztor said:

the Morrison run is my favorite Bat-run ever also. i've read everything, and that had the most resonance.  Even ignoring Dick Grayson as Batman (which was utterly awesome, especially with Damian Robin!), he was just so out there while still keeping stuff grounded. just amazing. the ideas he put forth and the stuff he created, not to mention the stuff he brought back, really brought home everything. 

Snyder is good. i like a lot of his ideas. i was iffy on the idea of Gordon in a mech Bat suit, but he made it work. Non-Batman Bruce Wayne was fantastic in that story. and the Black Mirror is phenomenal. Court of Owls was solid, Lincoln March was good. Death of the Family didn't do much for me tho.

Good post. Grant Morrison's Batman run is awesome. There's Grant Morrison taking Batman stories past and using them into his narration like Batman's son turned to Damian Wayne, Robin Dies At Dawn with the sensory deprivation/the doctor who Grant turned into Doctor Hurt and Batman of Zur-En-Arrh when Bruce's mind was attacked. In addition: Damian as a future Batman…Batman thought dead but gets sent back in time…Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne becoming the new Batman and Robin and Bruce Wayne starting Batman, Incorporated.

The highlight of the run was Batman and Robin #1-16. That alone would be one of the best comic book runs of all time but it's part of the best I've ever read. We get a cheery Dick Grayson as Batman and a broody/violent Robin in Damian Wayne. A role reversal nailed by Grant.

I'm a Scott Snyder fan for American Vampire and his works on Batman. Batman: The Black Mirror is excellent and easily Scott Snyder’s best Batman story as Dick Grayson’s Batman and Commissioner Gordon do battle with the past meeting the present. I really liked the New 52 run of his peaking with Endgame as Batman has to contend with the Justice League attacking him from a virus and it spreading through Gotham by the Joker. Zero Year was good documenting Batman's origin for the New 52. Court of Owls is overrated. Twenty-Seven as both a future take while respecting the key moments in Batman’s history needs to be brought up more.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:21 AM, Eivion said:

Still need to finish International, but I generally like Morrison's run though I don't have the same love for it others do.Not sure if I rate Snyder's stuff higher than Morrison, but I don't rate him much lower if lower at all. I think he has interesting ideas that mostly payoff. I think he gets into trouble a bit though when he tries to rewrite history for Bat mythos, but I can't help but feel that was more on the New 52 in general than Snyder himself. Personally, I wish Dick was still Batman with Snyder writing him.

Honestly, I would take the Court of Owls over most of Morrison's villains. I also like Mother and Bloom a decent bit.

Disagree with you on the villains. Doctor Hurt and Professor Pyg are the best of the new villains introduced to Batman's world. Doctor Hurt is a major threat as a big bad and Pyg is disturbing/creepy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Disagree with you on the villains. Doctor Hurt and Professor Pyg are the best of the new villains introduced to Batman's world. Doctor Hurt is a major threat as a big bad and Pyg is disturbing/creepy.

I was never big on Hurt. Pyg was a decent addition but nothing amazing. I like them well enough, but I would take James Gordon Jr. over both.

2 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Dr. Manhattan being the big bad in Rebirth/the Button reduces the character from a God-like figure. above humanity to some idiot man-child playing action figures.

So he's now Trelane? 

I mean, part of Manhattan's deal was that he was firmly limited by the possible. Self describes as a puppet who can see the strings. 

Honestly it's not even as though he's the most powerful dude in the DCU (even if they're positioning him as such). Captain Atom/Monarch has hit those levels too, to say nothing of some of the actual gods/the Anti-Monitor/etc. 

That said, how they position his motivations will be interesting. 

I'm really looking forward to Doomsday Clock.  I don't really have an attachment to the Watchmen characters one way or the other, so introducing them to the DCU proper doesn't bother me a bit.  Moore was intending to use the Charlton characters anyway. so Watchmen would probably have been set in the DCU anyway if that had happened.  Using Doc Manhattan as the big bad is pretty damn intriguing to me.

As for Johns, he's probably my favorite comics writer of the past 15 or so years.  I don't really get the backlash.  Gary Frank handling the art doesn't bother me any either.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

They still let Hitch write books after his terrible Wonder Woman run?

Are you thinking of David Finch?

I don't recall Hitch having a run on WW.

I find his Justice League okay fwiw. Solid application of the Authority scale stories but in a current DCU way. Maybe veering less grim even. But I've only read his JLA series and his first arc so far.