DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I agree about the NOTMM and the Gotham arc I felt like they both needed more time to develop, but both of the ideas were solid. It was weird seeing monsters in a Batman story, but to me it was something new and different. I was just disappointed on how the whole NOTMM arc ended with the final battle between Batman and Strange. I do agree with that the following arcs written by King have gotten better and I did enjoy the ending to the I Am Bane story arc. 

• Like 1

Which DC Rebirth TPB's should I pick up?  I read the first few issues of Wonder Woman (and really liked them).  I am hearing great stuff about King's Batman series.  What else should I sang while they are at the $10 price point on Amazon?

2 hours ago, Justin877 said:

Which DC Rebirth TPB's should I pick up?  I read the first few issues of Wonder Woman (and really liked them).  I am hearing great stuff about King's Batman series.  What else should I sang while they are at the $10 price point on Amazon?

Detective, Nightwing, & Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Aquaman, Superman and Actions Comics were all solid-good. King's Batman showed potential, but didn't have a good start. Still everyone says it turns around his second arc which I can believe based off of what I saw in the first one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Last I heard about Rucka's run he had seemingly erased WW last 30+ years of history. Is that still the case?

Given that he brought back characters from his previous run on the book, I don't think that is true.

Well that was fast. In an inspired move, DC announced Super Hero Girls lead writer Shea Fontana as the next WW writer. On for five issues at present.

Really good move honestly.

Semi relatedly, I finally read the first volume of the Finch WW run and while it's not great, it's pretty good and not nearly as bad as I feared, balancing the Azz/Chiang/Suzuka stuff with the broader DCU. I dunno if I'd drop money on it but it was on Hoopla so.

What is Hoopla? I see it for some things when I look online through my library's catalogue.

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Well that was fast. In an inspired move, DC announced Super Hero Girls lead writer Shea Fontana as the next WW writer. On for five issues at present.

Is it fast? They probably had fair warning of this from Rucka at least a couple of months before he made the announcement.

Theres probably an argument the publishers would make is that some people will buy a book solely on the character and the creators dont matter.

I know we had subscribers at our store that had a flat "any book with x" rule on their pull sheet, be it batman, catwoman or whomever. I think we had somepne who bought only Shi. 

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

What is Hoopla? I see it for some things when I look online through my library's catalogue.

Basically a digital library service allowing you access to different kinds of emedia on a limited basis depending on your library. So my library lets me take out six items a month for 21 days each. If I had a Toronto Library card, that would be 8. Other libraries vary in what their individual agreement provides.

Notably they get all the Rebirth trades on release. They also seem to have a similar deal with Archie for both singles and trades.