DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Honest to god I loved it. Got pretty much a complete run from garage sales and quarter bins in the early 90s and it was just such a fun weird sci-fi romp. I remember being super bummed there wasn't more.

Never knew until finding it now that it was a RPG tie-in. But yeah...browsing the cover gallery, that was a weird, busy series.

• 2 weeks later...

The three best comic books of 2016 came from DC. DC Universe Rebirth Special #1, Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade and Dark Night: A True Batman Story. I reviewed DC Universe Rebirth Special #1 and Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade here and I’ll do the same for Dark Night: A True Batman Story ASAP.

I just finished read the first volume of Justice League International from 1987. This was a really good book with what I thought was good writing and a good story to set everything up. The interaction between the members were also great with everybody on the team getting fed up with Guy Gardner to the humor of Blue Beetle. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series. 

Finally read Batman: The Black Mirror. The first story with the Dealer didn't do much for me, but I pretty much loved everything involving James Jr. and including how the other stories tied back into his story. I really like how they built things keeping that possibility that he just may have actually turned a new leaf until that conversation with Dick. I also dug him playing with the expectations of why he was there. It was also nice getting to read from Jim's perspective at times along with seeing him converse with Dick. Honestly, this really makes me disappointed Dick isn't still Batman. Feels like there was much more to explore with Dick in the lead from the changing relationships to the new characters introduced. Anyways great story overall. Don't know if its my favorite Snyder Batman story, but its up there.

• Like 3

On 12/22/2016 at 8:51 AM, SouderDrew said:

I just finished read the first volume of Justice League International from 1987. This was a really good book with what I thought was good writing and a good story to set everything up. The interaction between the members were also great with everybody on the team getting fed up with Guy Gardner to the humor of Blue Beetle. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series. 

with the Hanna-Barbera crossovers happening now, i keep hoping for a JLI/Birdman story. Bonus points if it gets Apache Chief in there too.

18 hours ago, Eivion said:

Finally read Batman: The Black Mirror. The first story with the Dealer didn't do much for me, but I pretty much loved everything involving James Jr. and including how the other stories tied back into his story. I really like how they built things keeping that possibility that he just may have actually turned a new leaf until that conversation with Dick. I also dug him playing with the expectations of why he was there. It was also nice getting to read from Jim's perspective at times along with seeing him converse with Dick. Honestly, this really makes me disappointed Dick isn't still Batman. Feels like there was much more to explore with Dick in the lead from the changing relationships to the new characters introduced. Anyways great story overall. Don't know if its my favorite Snyder Batman story, but its up there.

oh man, the Black Mirror is absolutely my favorite Snyder Bat story. can't believe you hadn't read it until now.

Dick Grayson being my favorite comics character makes me wish he got to stay as Batman for much longer as well. So many interesting stories could have been told from there. Alas.

• Like 1

Finished up Gates of Gotham earlier today. Wasn't big on the villain, but I did enjoy the general plot including how the narrations of the past play into it. It also continues to be enjoyable whenever Dick leads the family. The strife between Cass & Damien and how it played out in the end was nice. Really dug the story overall. The Nightrunner issue at the end was a nice addition. I hadn't even realized he had a proper origin story since I had only read and dug the two parter they ran with back then. Wish they had done more with the character.

• Like 2

I'd argue it's been uneven but worthwhile. The first arc tried to move really fast out of the gate to try and match the bombastic pace of Snyder, it feels like. At times it felt like there were issues missing in terms of how quick things progressed without clear transitions. Everything there was really strong but some of the big moments didn't really land because there was never any indication it would go another way, if that makes sense.

The Monster Men crossover was crazy fun but also wasn't King driven.

I Am Suicide was where King found his legs. More of a slow boiler, but the payoffs were just terrific. The last two issues in particular really reached for that Snyder/Morrison level even if he's clearly a step behind.

The Bat-books are generally great right now. Detective and Batman rule. All Star has been a crazy rollercoaster ride with other tricks coming. Batgirl/BoP are both super solid. Nightwing is quietly about as good as Detective. And every book really occupies its own space in terms of style and narrative.

Beyond that I'd say Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Arrow are the best books coming out right now. I like Titans a lot too but it's still finding its legs. The Superman books are a lot of fun but really weird and feel wound up in each other mostly. 

Oh, and Justice League vs. Suicide Squad started SUPER promisingly and is written by the Flash regular writer so that's a plus. The first issue is pretty much the definition of 'approachable to readers who have just seen the movies while not being beholden to those portrayals' which is great. 

Oh, and it has MAJOR Rebirth implications.

Villains are all pre-Rebirth incarnations by the look of it. Johnny Sorrow rants about fighting a team of forgotten heroes. Lobo is the classic look. Emerald Empress straight up being from a Legion future. Most importantly though, Maxwell Lord looking a lot less like the mad scientist from OMAC and more like pre-New-52 Max and assembling the villains in the room where he killed Blue Beetle...complete with the bullet hole, which indicates that still happened despite Ted not even *being* BB in this timeline and being, y'know, alive.

All of which points to the possibility that these villains remember events from the original timeline. Something thus far only shared by Supes family, Wally, sorta Barry, and Psycho Pirate.

• Like 2

This week's Detective, Titans, and Rebirth:

Kadabra comes from a joyless, mechanical 'clockwork' future and the only word that Omen gets about it is 'Manhattan'. Meanwhile Tim escapes from his prison in Detective only to be teleported right back in with blue energy.

If the Watchmen allusions weren't already heavy, here's some more.

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

This week's Detective, Titans, and Rebirth:

Reveal hidden contents

Kadabra comes from a joyless, mechanical 'clockwork' future and the only word that Omen gets about it is 'Manhattan'. Meanwhile Tim escapes from his prison in Detective only to be teleported right back in with blue energy.

If the Watchmen allusions weren't already heavy, here's some more.

That was kind of cold in Detective though it was nice to get a follow up.

New Year's Wishes for DC Comics and its staffers:

- The continuing decline in sales will finally lead Time-Warner to fire Dan Didio, strip Jim Lee of his "co-publisher" title and reduce him to being a staff artist, and order a company wide reboot.

- Further, Eddie Berganza and all of the other DC staffers accused of sexual harassment will be fired and placed on Time-Warner's "Do Not Rehire" list to ensure they never work for DC again under any circumstances.

- Detective Comics #900 will serve as the post-Crisis/Zero Hour/Flashpoint/Rebirth DC Universe's "grand finale" with every character getting a combination happy ending and a "the adventure continues" ending.  Bruce Wayne will (as Denny O'Neill always wanted) hit his head when Gotham is destroyed in an earthquake, come to his senses, and marry Talia and retire from superheroics.  Clark and Lois will continue their adventuring, Wonder Woman will become pregnant by Steve Trevor, Hal Jordan will retire with Jade becoming the new Green Lantern of Earth, Ted Kord will assume the mantle of Blue Beetle once again and go off on wacky adventures with Booster Gold, Tim Drake will marry Stephanie Brown, 

- Following Detective #900, EVERY title will undergo a reboot back to Day One with a new #1.  Time-Warner will also issue a new corporate edict that this will be the last "re-numbering" of the titles for at least 15 years, if not longer.

- In this newest reboot, there are no superheroes anywhere on Earth prior to Kal-El crash landing in Smallville, nor were there any superheroes in the past.  No Justice Society, no Sandman Mystery Theater, no WWII heroes.  Whenever a new superhero is introduced, he or she MUST get an origin story and start off from the very beginning with the first four issues of each character's title showing them training, acquiring their costume, and establishing the title's baseline status quo.  Action Comics #1 will open with Jor-El pleading with Krypton's leaders and then launching his son into space, Detective Comics #1 will open with Bruce and his parents walking out of the movie theater and into Crime Alley, Wonder Woman #1 will open with Steve Trevor crash landing on Themyscria, etc., etc.

- The same will be true of villians.  Each time a villian is introduced, they will get a full origin story told as it happens, rather than have the villian recount his or her origin in flashback.  The first appearance of the Joker will open with Jack Napier getting heckled off the stage of a comedy club and arriving home to learn his wife has died.  Pushed over the edge, he dons the Red Hood costume and gets tossed into a vat of chemicals, becoming the Joker.

- All Batman characters will be permanently "locked in" to their classic Neal Adams designs from the 1970s.  No more black cape and cowl for Batman, he will always wear a blue cape and cowl and jockey briefs, yellow oval Bat insignia, and grey spandex bodysuit. Catwoman will wear a purple costume with a plunging neckline, skirt, and green cape.

- Wonder Woman will be locked in to the Lynda Carter costume, Superman will wear his classic outfit.  No more attempts to "update" the costumes for the 21st Century (or any century or decade).

- No more "grim 'n' gritty" Batman.  All future Bat-Writers will be instructed to place a much heavier emphasis on Bruce Wayne's personal life and entailing soap opera elements.  "Bruce Wayne as Peter Parker" will be the name of the game going forward, with Bruce being a mixture of the Adam West-persona (philanthropist who does lots of charity work and is very out and about in the city) and the Telltale Batman (Batman is just a mask Bruce Wayne wears to fight crime).  No more portraying Bruce as a ditzy idiot, Bruce will be shown spending a solid eight hours a day overseeing the day-to-day operations of Wayne Enterprises.

- It will be extremely difficult, if not outright impossible, for idiotic concepts like "Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E." to ever get green lit going forward.

- The Justice League of America will be just that, a superhero team sponsored by the American government.  Batman/Wonder Woman/Superman will ALWAYS be a part of the team.  

- Superman will always say that he stands for "Truth, Justice, and the American Way."  Comic book writers who express distaste at having Clark say this will be instructed to watch documentaries about human rights abuses in Cuba, Russia, China, and other countries that the comic book writer in question may have admiration for.

Either you're trying to be ironic or some sort of "Everything was better in the Silver Age" elitist. Either way nothing would cause DC sales to plummet more than by following the course you lay out.

James

• Like 2

my DC wish list for 2017 (and beyond!):

Apache Chief and Birdman join the DC proper. pretty sure i just mentioned that a short while ago in this very thread, but oh well.

Nightwing becomes an A-Lister.

Batgirl goes back to pre-Burnside characterization and costume. 

this whole Watchmen thing is forgotten and nobody ever mentions it again.