DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 06/10/2016 at 8:22 PM, Eivion said:

We are getting a Batwoman book spinning out of Detective Comics come January/February. I would be a lot happier/excited though if it wasn't Marguerite Bennett writing. I like her well enough, but I didn't hear great things about Angela once Gillen left her writing solo. Hopefully its more her when she does Batman. Still not sure why they didn't pay Rucka out the ass to return to it or at least give it to Tynion. Now I have to wonder if I will continue picking up Detective come then as she was the biggest draw for me though its been solid so far.

Happy Batwoman gets a solo book again. Can't comment on Marguerite Bennett as I haven't read her work. In an ideal world, Rucka or Blackman/Williams III return.

On 12/10/2016 at 8:20 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Not sure how I feel about the changes made to Batman/Two Face's origin in the new All Star Batman but the book continues to be a hell of a ride regardless.

Still haven't read All Star Batman #1. I don't mind the New 52 Harvey Dent/Two-Face origin.

1 hour ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I wrote an article on my NYCC 2016 experience, please check it out over at Nerdspan. 

http://www.nerdspan.com/2016-new-york-comic-con-nycc/

Will give this a look, pal.

• Like 1

Just caught up on Flash and there's an interesting trend happening (Rebirth meta arc spoilers)

Barry is remembering stuff retconned by the New 52. He realized Meena could still be saved by remembering getting sucked into the Speed Force in Crisis on Infinite Earths then in the final battle with Godspeed he grabs that grimly iconic necklock...then freaks out and says 'Not again' clearly having a flash of memory from when he killed Thawne before. Neither is a full memory but the implication is that Barry is remembering his pre-New 52 life. Be interesting to see how that continues.

Finally read Justice League: Darkseid War Part 2. There was almost too much going on to keep track of, but I thought it was fairly good overall with some good character moments for various people. I also see it helped to set up much of Rebirth. I really wish I had the money to be buying more comics right now.

Harley Quinn is absolutely terrible, right? That's not just me. It feels like a parody of a parody with her bouncing from panel to panel fitting in as many zany lines and zany moments as possible without the least bit of actual pathos. Like an unfunny knock off Bugs Bunny cartoon on 1.5x speed. And one that's maybe a little too self-aware of its own success and that revels in it as a justification not to be anything more than what it is.

I think the Kesel book was very strong, actually, but I'll admit I haven't read it in years. It felt much more balanced though, with a lot more black/bleak humor and consequences while still keeping that element of lightness and irreverence. It's a tough balance and I think that run nailed it. 

I really liked the first year or so of the Conner/Palmiotti stuff and I really like the characters and relationships built as well as the way they write Harley/Ivy but it definitely lost me a bit toward the end of the first run and the Rebirth series hasn't really sold me.

I don't know if it helps or hurts that it seems totally detached from canon right now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I really liked the first year or so of the Conner/Palmiotti stuff and I really like the characters and relationships built as well as the way they write Harley/Ivy but it definitely lost me a bit toward the end of the first run and the Rebirth series hasn't really sold me.

I don't know if it helps or hurts that it seems totally detached from canon right now.

I was in the same boat, except it fell off for me so much that I didn't bother to keep buying it after Rebirth. I also echo the love for Red Tool. 

• 2 weeks later...

What does everybody think of DC's Young Animal titles? The only one that interested me was Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye. I though the first issue was fun and I'm interested to see how it progress in later issues. Also is anybody reading the Death of Hawkman mini series or Midnighter and Apollo mini series?

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

After not really feeling the first few, today's Titans left me with a huge smile thru the entire thing.

I just read it today and I really enjoyed the whole issue, but I've enjoyed the past issues. 

Did anybody notice how the artwork changed in Cyborg #5? It went from being more adult like then halfway through it when to a Cave Carson type of drawing. 

What has everybody though of the Rebirth launch so far? 

• 3 weeks later...

Man. Okay. Let's test some memories. 

Late 80s/maybe early 90s series that I *think* was published by DC but not related to other titles, set in a Marvel 2099 esque future with cops on motorcycles and Xtreme fashions. main character has Olsen orange hair with a sweep over. iirc had a Chessboard motif but distinctly not Checkmate. Robot kangaroo partner and weird plant monster called Rosebud.

WHAT IS THIS WEIRD OBSCURE SERIES FROM MY YOUTH?