DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

First four members of the Steve Orlando JLA have been announced. Vixen, the Ray (not sure if it's Ray, Happy or someone else but he's gay), Ryan Choi (with a helmet that makes it look like he'll be wearing the TV show's armor) and Killer Frost. I like Orlando, like those charactsrs, guess I'm on board.

I didn't realize there was going to be a new JLA book. Why is Killer Frost a member? Is she not a villain in the current universe?

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I didn't realize there was going to be a new JLA book. Why is Killer Frost a member? Is she not a villain in the current universe?

I haven't read a comic with Frost in it since the Giffen/Paco Medina version of Suicide Squad, so I'm not sure. But if Major Disaster can go from the Injustice League to the proper JLA...

We are getting a Batwoman book spinning out of Detective Comics come January/February. I would be a lot happier/excited though if it wasn't Marguerite Bennett writing. I like her well enough, but I didn't hear great things about Angela once Gillen left her writing solo. Hopefully its more her when she does Batman. Still not sure why they didn't pay Rucka out the ass to return to it or at least give it to Tynion. Now I have to wonder if I will continue picking up Detective come then as she was the biggest draw for me though its been solid so far.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

We are getting a Batwoman book spinning out of Detective Comics come January/February. I would be a lot happier/excited though if it wasn't Marguerite Bennett writing. I like her well enough, but I didn't hear great things about Angela once Gillen left her writing solo. Hopefully its more her when she does Batman. Still not sure why they didn't pay Rucka out the ass to return to it or at least give it to Tynion. Now I have to wonder if I will continue picking up Detective come then as she was the biggest draw for me though its been solid so far.

Pretty sure Batwoman is staying in Tec and also getting a solo book.

Bennett is good though. I haven't read Queen of Hel yet but a lot of the criticism was her putting a lot of feminist content in it. Which...it's a book starring a gay lady angel and her trans lesbian angel lover. It's kinda the right venue for it. Bombshells rules and her indie work has been getting talked up huge too. I'm pumped to see what she does with Kate.

Eh. I'd say it was divisive at worst. Definitely got some praise in other corners of the internet. Bleeding Cool was a huge fan of it. It's also been praised extensively in feminist comics circles. Also, the Josie and the Pussycats reboot's first issue ruled for another tick in the 'great' column.

Kevin Smith/Walt Flanaghan's Batman is still being worked on. Three more issues are done and with it being in pre reboot canon they were given carte blanche to finish it how they want. At minimum they're sending Batman to hell so uh. Sounds like it'll be more of the same weird awfulness as before.

finished reading the Batman "Monster Men" crossover. can't say that i was a fan. the idea wasn't the greatest, the execution was just OK, and the final battle was quite the letdown.

i look forward to the books getting back on track.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

So what exactly was the Monster Men crossover about? I skipped it since it didn't involved any of the books' actual writers, but I was considering picking it up if was decent. Sounds like it was ok to miss it.

Dr. Strange has concoted a potion/formula/drug that will turn dead bodies into gigantic monsters.  Batman, Batwoman, and Nightwing lead some of Gotham's heroes to save the city and stop Dr. Strange.

i mean, there's a bit more to it than that, but this is basically the spoiler-free hook they were promoting.

the goal was to set up Batman, Batwoman, and Nightwing as Gothams "Trinity" which sorta worked i guess, but i had some problems with characterization (mainly that everyone calls each other by their civilian IDs most of the time, and that Batwoman seems to be the second-in-command military-style leader for some reason).The artwork was pretty decent and all of the characters had their moment to shine, so i guess that's something. i just wasn't overly thrilled about the stoyrline, and it seems like that is the popular consensus too.

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

Dr. Strange has concoted a potion/formula/drug that will turn dead bodies into gigantic monsters.  Batman, Batwoman, and Nightwing lead some of Gotham's heroes to save the city and stop Dr. Strange.

Didn't I watch this on Gotham (tv) last season?