DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Hell, I'm one of the few who enjoyed the Shooter/Manapul LSH.  It wasn't enough to make me stop pining for Stern/Peyer or even D&A/Batista, but I also never shared the general distaste.  But yeah, his art is gorgeous.  I eventually bought the first year of that run when Comixology ran heavy sales, but have still never gotten past the Gorilla City arc.

And above, that should have been re-TREAD, not re-READ.

And suddenly I wonder whether Titans will go twice-monthly for the Deathstroke crossover or it'll be a 2/1 crossover or what.

So what did people think of the Superman stories from the lats year or so before Rebirth? I'm kind of wondering if they are worth checking out with that character technically now dead.

I'm also curious about Green Lantern's quality currently and before Rebirth. I was particularly curious about the whole war with the New Gods.

Post-Johns GL stuff was weird. The Relic stuff was kind of cool nominally but the core conceit that the Lanterns are functionally killing the universe to power their weapons is an unnecessary addition of consequence that did little for me. Godhead was fun but is mostly a lot of GLs get their asses kicked because they're underpowered but rally at the very last. The resolution features a predictable "I have become the thing I hate." turnaround followed by everyone handwaving the fact that character murdered over 7 billion people. 

I dunno. Vendetti has some cool ideas but the delivery is super messy. 

Green Lanterns has been fun so far. Only checked out the Hal Jordan Rebirth issue and it was a Vendetti GL comic. 

Honestly? If you want a great modern GL comic, read King's Omega Men.

That sounds about what I expecting based on the last bits of what I read after the Relic arc. I was hoping maybe it improved, but it doesn't really sound like it. I recall hearing good things about Omega Men, but never really thought to check it out. Not sure why.

On 9/7/2016 at 3:39 PM, Eivion said:

Is the book any good? I was reading Supergirl before, but decided not to pursue the current book because it looked like it would be too close to the show. Is Bones in it?

It's closer to the show, but has this weird political subtext with Kara serving as a stand-in for modern immigrants and the problems they face coming to a new land while at the same time criticizing American arrogance when dealing with people from lesser-developed countries (Kara trying to deal with "backwards" human technology like cars and iPads).

Clearly, Steve Orlando felt he had Something Important to say about the plight of Syrian refugees and the obnoxiousness of Donald Trump, but it gets badly muddled in a story that also tries to squeeze in a new Cat Grant that looks like Calista Flockhart and Brian Ching's art, which is basically aping Sal Larocca on Spider-Man, doesn't help any. 

4 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

This week's Detective Comics is top flight. A really amazing emotional gutpunch even when you realize...

Hide contents

Tim Drake is alive after all, but captive of Mr. Oz.

It didn't hit me as much as it might have had I not been reading BC so much (I wasn't spoiled, but the writer comments made it obvious something was up). Still I thought it was fine conclusion to the first arc and nice continuation on the grand story of the current DC Universe.

Are you reading the other bat books? I'm curious how they are. I also want to see other opinions of the coming crossover to know whether or not I should pick them up or wait for Tynion to come back.

What's Aquaman up to these days? I heard they brought Garth back which is good, but I'm still holding out hope for a Tusky and Topo return (also Ark the Sea Lion, the golden age Aquaman's original sidekick).

Garth is one of the Ten Titans (the pre-Wolfman TT group who had a short career but disbanded, and only Dick and Roy stayed active). I haven't been reading Dan Abnett's Aquaman series, will probably pick it up in trade.

It's really frustrating that every non-Young Animal DC book I buy ships the last week of the month (since the two twice-monthlies I get are Flash and Deathstroke).  Spread it out fer chrissakes!

First four members of the Steve Orlando JLA have been announced. Vixen, the Ray (not sure if it's Ray, Happy or someone else but he's gay), Ryan Choi (with a helmet that makes it look like he'll be wearing the TV show's armor) and Killer Frost. I like Orlando, like those charactsrs, guess I'm on board.