DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Speaking of Geoff Johns, haven't posted these reviews till now:

Justice League (Vol. 1): Origin collects Justice League #1-6 written by Geoff Johns, drawn by Jim Lee and this was a 31st birthday present. The story is set in a time when super heroes are first emerging so there are reactions to one another and to them. Batman owns Green Lantern. What will be known as the Justice League brought together for the first time by Darkseid and his parademons invasion of Earth. Comic book origin stories and movies are a favourite of mine. I really enjoyed this event comic, funny too for the exchanges between the seven heroes.

Good bonus material with variant covers, interview with Captain Steve Trevor by Amanda Waller, an imagined author’s piece who was referred to in #6, S.T.A.R. Laboratories employee files, this group had a role to play in the story and best of all sketches/info about the costumes worn by the Justice League in the New 52. I’d like to carry on reading this run too.

Justice League (Vol. 7): Darkseid War Part 1 collects DC Sneak Peek: Justice League #1 and Justice League #40-44 by Geoff Johns. DC Sneak Peak: Justice League #1 is the equivalent of a teaser trailer for what’s to come and it’s an effective one. In Justice League #40-44, Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor go at it on Earth set up by characters for reasons with the Justice League trying to stop them. I liked this book with the main commentary on Gods, characters I’ve not come across before in Mister Miracle/Jessica Cruz and what happens to Batman, a critique of the character Bats sometimes gets in our world. I enjoyed that nod by Geoff. I’ll mention the banter between Superman and Lex Luthor too.

Justice League (Vol. 8): Darkseid War Part 2 collects Justice League #45-48, Darkseid War Special: The Darkness Within and Justice League #49-50 in this order by Geoff Johns. Justice League #45-50, Justice League continues to deal with the Anti-Monitor, Darkseid and Grail. I liked the story carrying on the Gods theme, Justice League having to work with their enemies and the cost of the plan by Myrina Black to end Darkseid. I also liked the Darkseid War Special #1 which spotlights Jessica Cruz, Myrina Black and Grail’s history.

Batman vs. Superman: The Greatest Battles collects in order: Batman #612 (2003), Man of Steel #3 (1986), Superman/Batman #78 (2011), Justice League #2 (2011), Batman #35-36 (2014) and Batman: The Dark Knight #4 (1986).

I’ve read most of these before and I’ll start with those. Batman #612’s Bats vs. Supes battle is from Hush and its good. I didn’t like a line of dialogue though. Justice League #2, Superman takes on Batman with Green Lantern and it’s also good. Batman #35-36 in Batman: Endgame is great as Batman has to contend with the Justice League and Superman. Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo and DC did well keeping whose responsible for this secret. Batman: The Dark Knight #4 is from Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and the best issue of the collection as an older Batman fights Superman by Batman’s actions in the lead to this. It’s the most famous fight between the two.

Turning to first time reads, Man of Steel #3 features Batman looking for Magpie and Superman gets involved. We see the differences in their methods in a very good issue. Superman/Batman #78 sees two kids’ debate who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman in an amusing story. I enjoyed this gathering of issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Batman Li’l Gotham (Vol. 1) collects originally published in single magazine form as Batman Li’l Gotham #1-6 and online as Batman Li’l Gotham Chapters #1-12. A book with Batman, his allies and adversaries over yearly holidays.

The best issues were…Christmas, a touching one as Mr. Freeze wants to keep a children’s choir in a snow globe to keep them from the hurt of Gotham City…Valentine’s Day as Joker accidently spills chemicals of Poison Ivy’s onto himself which attracts females like Ivy, Talia and Zatanna…Father’s Day when the Gordon’s/al Ghul’s are forced to share a restaurant table and the male Bat-family want to cook a meal for Alfred. The interactions between Bruce and Damian merit mention. My favourite:

The male Bat-family is looking for food having burnt some while cooking for Alfred a Father’s Day meal:

Damian: “There’s nothing here. Who shops for food anyway when you can afford a butler to cook for you tonight?”

Batman: “Damian!”

Damian: “I mean…a butler for your butler. Sheesh!”

Edited by The Natural

Batman Li’l Gotham (Vol. 2) collects originally published in single magazine form as Batman Li’l Gotham #7-12 and online as Batman Li’l Gotham Chapters #13-24. This series celebrates occasions with the Bat-family and their rivals. A Christmas issue is touching as Alfred and Damian Wayne look through the family photo album covering Bruce as a boy to becoming Batman and Dick from Nightwing. We also see the Gordon’s, Jason Todd Robin, Stephanie Brown as Spoiler, Tim Drake/Robin, Todd as Red Hood, Drake as Red Robin, Huntress and Damian with his Dad.

I have to mention the issue where Batman and Robin go to Gotham City Comic-Con in pursuit of Clayface, very funny. Batman’s speech consoling Robin as his favourite character is no longer there goes out to comic book readers as well. I’ve said the same thing before and liked the conversation so much, here it is:

Robin: “I never saw Super Ninja Ghost. My version. It’s like they wiped him out of continuity, as if he never existed.”

Batman: “Damian, It’s just how pop culture works. Characters come and go, revamped and then revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them, and continue to appreciate them, then that character…your hero or heroine…will always exist.

Edited by The Natural

I really enjoyed Batman Li’l Gotham taking in the history of Batman from the comics to the 1960s Batman TV series (shark repellant!), Batman: The Animated Series, Batman of the Future and two from The Killing Joke. Latter is amazing considering that’s for mature readers and this for everyone. I appreciate the nods/calls. Nearly all characters show up in the run. I’d have liked to have seen Batman of Zur-en-Arrh and Dick Grayson as Batman. A very funny and sweet read recommended for all-ages by Derek Fridolfs/Dustin Nguyen.

For those who didn’t think there were any new books, the news BTAS book is digital only so it came out this week. 

only 99 cents on comixology. 

Edited by odessasteps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cutter. Batwoman in Detective Comics #861-863 written by Greg Rucka, Jock’s the artist. There’s somebody called Cutter with ties to Batman’s past cases and now in Batwoman’s. This was so disappointing considering the talent’s involved. The worst Greg Rucka story I’ve ever read.

Edited by The Natural

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Never read the Cutter story. Now I'm not super disappointed about that anymore.

Glad to help as we've similar tastes. After reading Batwoman: Elegy from the library in 2011, I got my own copy as a Christmas present that year. I know there's a later edition which includes Cutter. I read Cutter through Batman Legends,  a UK book which reprints Batman stories. It was in the back issues bin years later at the comic book shop I go to. Cutter is such a letdown.

Edited by The Natural

On the subject of Batwoman, the fortunes have really not been kind to the character since JH Williams III/W. Haden Blackman left Batwoman due to editorial interference. Marc Andreyko took over and the book sucked. The first arc by James Tynion IV involving Batwoman at the start of DC's Rebirth: Detective Comics #934-940 was alright but I wasn't keen on what was done to Jacob Kane. I reluctantly dropped the new solo series by Marguerite Bennett and James Tynion IV as it was so slow going. The only Batwoman bright spots since Batwoman: Elegy is the aforementioned Williams III/Haden Blackman run and Batman and Robin: Blackest Night, Batman and Robin #7-9 by Grant Morrison.

Edited by The Natural

I wasn't fond of what Tynion did to Jacob Kane, but his Detective Comics story was good. Bennett had a decent enough idea that she dragged out and didn't know how to write in the most interesting manner.

• Like 1

The Batman Adventures: Mad Love is written by Paul Dini/Bruce Timm with Timm’s art. As you know, Dini and Timm played integral parts in the classic Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995). I LOVE B: TAS. Dini/Timm created Dr. Harleen Quinzell/Harley Quinn for the show debuting in Joker’s Favour episode and this book tells her origin story. This was a 30th birthday present. I’ve always liked the book but it really clicked with me when I read it back again. We see the toxic relationship between the Joker and Harley Quinn, the physical and mental abuses to Harley. The things I liked: the story, the art, Batman laughing which unnerves Harley and the reader as it’s so out of character, Joker telling different stories about his past – a key trait of the Joker’s allure and Batman taunting Joker that she almost had him. I’ve underrated this book in my expanded list of the best Batman comics ever. I’ll correct that oversight in the update.

The Batman Adventures: Mad Love and Other Stories includes Batman Annual #1, #2 and one story from The Batman Adventures Holiday Special. All written by Paul Dini and most drawn by Bruce Timm. I’d like to single out Study Hall as Scarecrow uses fear on a student who hit his female date so he feels what it’s like, the Joker in Laughter after Midnight with what he gets up to after escaping Batman. Few write the character as well as Paul does, that also goes for Batman. Jolly Ol’ St Nicholas manages to be sweet and funny as Bullock/Montoya are on a Christmas stakeout. From Batman: The Animated Series to this and books afterwards, Paul Dini is one of the best writers and Bruce Timm one of the best artists’ Batman has ever had. I thank them both for their impact on Batman. Shame the cover for The Batman Adventures Holiday Special not included before the Jolly Ol’ St Nicholas story as that format’s used in nearly all collected editions including most of this.

The Batman Adventures Continue #1-2 is written by Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Ty Templeton’s art in Hardware. A robot steals from Wayne Enterprises attracting Bruce Wayne/Batman’s attention. I right enjoyed this welcome return to Batman: The Animated Series/The New Batman Adventures World from the key contributors of it: Burnett, Dini and Templeton who illustrated the comics set there. Batman: The Adventures Continue will introduce characters debuting in this universe: Red Hood and Deathstroke! I looked forward to The Batman Adventures Continue since the book was announced this year.

Edited by The Natural

The Batman Adventures Holiday Special is made up of six stories set during the Christmas period to New Year’s Day. All written by Paul Dini, some drawn by Bruce Timm, Dan Riba, Glen Murakami and Kevin Altieri. While reading familiarity kicked in as I first experienced this through The New Batman Adventures adaptation in the episode Holiday Knights. Three of the best stories made both: Jolly Ol’ Nick as Bullock/Montoya go on a pickpocket search including Batgirl. The Harley and The Ivy as Ivy’s lipstick control Bruce Wayne doing their bidding by spending money and Should Old Acquaintance Be Forgot as the standout shows the annual tradition shared between Batman and Commissioner Gordon. The latter’s so well done. Man, Dini gets Batman so too Bruce Timm minus his Bruce/Babs pushing and most of The New Batman Adventures redesigns.

Batman: Harley Quinn collects in order…Batman: Harley Quinn #1 (1999), Batman: Gotham Knights #14 (2001), Batman: Gotham Knights #30 (2002), Detective Comics #831 (2007), Detective Comics #837 (2007), Joker’s Asylum II: Harley Quinn #1 (2010), Batman: Black and White #1 (2013), Batman: Black and White #3 (2014), Legends of the Dark Knight 100-Page Super Spectacular #1 (2014) and Detective Comics #23.2 (2013).

Half of the stories (B: HQ #1, B: GK #14, DC #831, #837 and B: B and W #3) are written by Paul Dini, Harley Quinn co-creator. To no surprise these are the best stories particularly B: HQ #1 set in No Man’s Land with Harley Quinn wanting revenge on Joker marking Harley’s comic book debut, B: GK #14 as Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy in Arkham Asylum bet who can get the most kisses from every man there and DC #831 as Harley meets a panel seeing if she’ll be released from the Asylum. The worst story is the last. Ugh. The book makes for a very good Harley Quinn showcase for old and new fans of the character, her popularity keeps on increasing.

RIP Martin Pasko

From waids FB

Can you point to something specific you read, something specific you saw or heard as a kid that is the one thing that made you what you are today? Chances are you can't--lives are huge tapestries full of so many, many threads, and we're the sum and expression of millions of experiences. 

I can, though. I can point to a page in a comic book.

Martin Pasko and Elliot S Maggin, I have said, were the two strongest influences on me as a writer. That's because they had a gift for taking one-dimensional characters that I loved and bringing out their humanity, a gift for connecting me emotionally with their adventures. Marty, specifically, wrote one page of Action Comics #500, a life story of Superman, that when I was a teenager showed me the familiar in a brand new light. It was a scene where Superman was recounting the story of his dog, Krypto, and explaining how much it had meant to him as a boy and as the sole survivor of his race to finally have a friend at his side who took away his loneliness. A friend to share things with him, "things I desperately needed to share, or the pain of being alone would have been too great. Things like the feeling of the wind in your face in a way no one else on Earth can feel it, or the sound bullets make when they bounce off living flesh."

Nothing else I have ever read has ever affected me in quite the way those words did. To me, they were the key to everything: the lesson that if you're going to write about these characters well, you have to live inside them. You have to wear the suit and think hard about what your daily life, minute to minute, would be like if you could fly like Superman or had Daredevil's radar senses. What moving objects would look like to you if you were fast enough, like the Flash, to live between the ticks of a second. How the subatomic world would appear to you if you were the Atom. How your hearing on land would be compromised as Aquaman because water conducts sound more efficiently. Whether or not heat vision carries with it the faint smell of ozone. Tom Peyer calls it "writing about the superhuman condition." It's how Marty taught me to write with that one page, and it became the absolute bedrock foundation of my style and, frankly, my career.

I'm glad--very glad--that I was able to tell this directly to Marty more than once before he passed away of natural causes, today, at the too-young age of 65. Marty was a friend, a good guy, an unwitting mentor, and had talents I could never hope to replicate. There's no way I'd be where I am today without him. Thank you, sir, and rest in peace.

Edited by odessasteps

https://www.newsarama.com/50017-nightwing-scott-snyder.html

I'd be happy with a Scott Snyder Nightwing story. Snyder wrote a great Dick Grayson as Batman in Batman: The Black Mirror (Scott Snyder's best Batman book by far and I'm quite a fan of Snyder's The New 52 Batman run with Greg Capullo) and Batman: Gates of Gotham. Dick's had it rough in DC Rebirth.

Edited by The Natural

I've Been reading the Nightwing series and I agree, not a big fan of what they've done with him. I bought the Grayson Omnibus and read it. Mixed feelings on the Grayson run. Seeing some of the characters appear in the Nightwing book didn't make me very happy. I'm about 25 or so issues in so maybe it gets better.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I've Been reading the Nightwing series and I agree, not a big fan of what they've done with him. I bought the Grayson Omnibus and read it. Mixed feelings on the Grayson run. Seeing some of the characters appear in the Nightwing book didn't make me very happy. I'm about 25 or so issues in so maybe it gets better.  

I agree with all you say. I had mixed feelings on the Grayson run. Definitely read Batman: The Black Mirror if you haven't already.

• Like 1

Grayson makes the best of a dumb situation created by Forever Evil while also tying to build off of Morrison's Batman run to an extent. Its fresh and interesting, but nowhere near as amazing as some people felt it was at the time. The best thing Dick has done in the last decade or so really was his run as Batman. Morrison, Snyder, & and co. all did solid-great jobs with him in the role. People otherwise always seem to have trouble figuring out what to do with him as Nightwing. Haven't read the current run, but it all generally sounds terrible and is of course another dumb situation created by a writer who was not even writing Dick at the time. They really need to stop letting such major things occur to characters in events and whatnot by writers who have nothing to do with said character at the moment. Its a big finger to those actually writing them and the fans picking up those characters' books.

• Like 1