DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 2/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, D.Z said:

Very metal. 

Fitting description as its believed to be a sequel to Dark Nights: Metal by the same creative team. That's the most I'd enjoyed a Scott Snyder Batman story for a while. All-Star Batman disappointed me.

40 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I really hate Silk. Alpha was doubly disappointing as it was released in 2012, the 50th Anniversary of Spider-Man. Ends of the Earth and the Lizard story were also letdowns that year.

I haven't read any of James Tynion IV Batman run either. Like to think I'd enjoy it more than Tom King's tenure. Like I said, I find King a very hit and miss writer:

The Vision: Excellent.

Grayson: Mostly good. 

Batman: The occasional high and low lows. Batman Annual #4 was terrific. I thank @Matt D for tagging me in a recommendation or I'd have passed up on it. Batman Annual #2 was great. Lows: Bat/Cat dialogue, ugh. Batman #50 and the wedding fake out. Repetitive dialogue a constant. City of Bane and what he did with Flashpoint Batman making me dislike a character I once liked. 

Heroes in Crisis: Absolute rubbish.

Haven't read Mister Miracle. 

I don't have faith in King's Batman/Catwoman series especially bringing The Phantasm from the excellent Batman: Mask of the Phantasm into the mainstream DC Universe. That arrival's been a long time coming.

I generally like what I've read of King's Batman. The only thing i found flat out terrible so far was the Booster Gold issues. Last thing I read was the Batman in his mind stuff which was a decent idea that went way too long.

Never read Heroes in Crisis. I still suspect that was a Didio idea despite King's claims of otherwise. Regardless it was something that just never should have happened.

Mister Miracle is solid-good. if you liked Vision you will likely like it. 

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fitting description as its believed to be a sequel to Dark Nights: Metal by the same creative team. That's the most I'd enjoyed a Scott Snyder Batman story for a while. All-Star Batman disappointed me.

I was right, Dark Nights: Death Metal details...

https://www.newsarama.com/49000-wonder-woman-stars-in-dark-nights-sequel-death-metal-from-snyder-capullo.html

MTU4MTUyMDA3Nw==

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

I generally like what I've read of King's Batman. The only thing i found flat out terrible so far was the Booster Gold issues. Last thing I read was the Batman in his mind stuff which was a decent idea that went way too long.

Never read Heroes in Crisis. I still suspect that was a Didio idea despite King's claims of otherwise. Regardless it was something that just never should have happened.

Mister Miracle is solid-good. if you liked Vision you will likely like it. 

Thanks. I might give Mister Miracle a go at some point. I feel Tom King's best works are short story arcs like Vision which lasted 12 issues and single issue stories as seen in Batman Annual #4. You want to read that, @Eivion. I'd also recommend Batman Annual #2.

Edited by The Natural

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

btas-4.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738&h=1107

btas-2.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738&h=1120

https://www.cbr.com/batman-animated-series-comic-dini-burnett-templeton/

PAUL DINI on a Batman book continuing Batman: The Animated Series with Alan Burnett and Ty Templeton on art. Fuck. Yes.

Interesting that Batman is sporting The New Batman Adventures look, I wonder if Dini/Burnett/Templeton were tempted to for some Batman: The Animated Series designs to go with TNBA. B:TAS designs were so much better.

Edited by The Natural

Anyone here keep up with the magic/supernatural side of DC? I just finished the second volume of Tynion JLD run and in the annual there is something about Swamp thing not being Alec Holland. So was there a big change there, or did Tynion completely forget that the current one actually is Holland? 

On 2/16/2020 at 5:14 AM, The Natural said:

I finished a Batman story 30 minutes ago, it's one of the best Batman books I've ever read and I've read LOTS of Batman. 

Batman Annual (2016) #3. Father's Day is written by Tom Taylor and drawn by Otto Schmidt. We get Alfred Pennyworth's inner thoughts from the phone call about the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne witnessed by young Bruce Wayne, the fatherly relationship between the two and all Alfred does for Bruce inside and outside the Batsuit. "Why do you put your own life aside? Why do you look after him, Alfred?" Alfred: "Because he needs me to, he's Batman and the world is relying on him". 

This all made for a wonderful story well written by Tom Taylor and well illustrated by Otto Schmidt. I'd like to see both do Batman again. Anyone here read this? @Eivion? @Matt D?

On 2/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, Eivion said:

Anyone here keep up with the magic/supernatural side of DC? I just finished the second volume of Tynion JLD run and in the annual there is something about Swamp thing not being Alec Holland. So was there a big change there, or did Tynion completely forget that the current one actually is Holland? 

I haven't. Didn't want you thinking I wasn't going to reply. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new DC era 

Jim Lee is staying on as sole co publisher, and will be more in the trenches than ever. Also no line wide reboot is coming, so no new number 1's or throwing out most history again.

Per Bleeding cool....some of the 5G plans are changed, like aging characters to their 60's might just be now in their 40's instead. And not having the silver age in the 60's but maybe further ahead.  

• Like 1