DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Wasn't there some kind of falling out between Miller and DC?

Turns out the drawing is left over from when Frank was writing All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder.

http://brandonmontclare.com/post/71072487232/frank-millers-cover-to-detective-27-its-cool

So I'm planning to reread Johns' entire GL run starting later this week.  I've already picked up some of the crossover events, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should add to this list.  Mostly, I'm just interested in books Johns actually wrote unless they directly cross over with GL.

Here's my list so far.  Most of these are the tpb collections.

Green Lantern: Rebirth (the mini)

Green Lantern: No Fear (tpb includes the Secret Files special)

Green Lantern Corps: Recharge (Johns co-wrote with Gibbons)

GL: Revenge of the Green Lanterns

GL: Hal Jordan - Wanted

Sinestro Corps War (GL 21-25, Sinestro Corps Special, GLC #14-19)

Rage of the Red Lanterns (GL #26-28, Rage of the Red Lanterns Final Crisis Special, GL #36-38)

GL: Secret Origin

GL: Agent Orange

Blackest Night #0-8

GL: Blackest Night (#43-52)

Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps (#1-3)

Brightest Day #0-24

GL: Brightest Day (53-62)

GL: War of the Green Lanterns (GL #63-67, GLC #58-60, GL Emerald Warriors #8-10)

GL: Sinestro (first six issues of New 52 relaunch)

GL: Revenge of the Black Hand

GL: Rise of the Third Army (GL 13-16, GLC 13-16, New Guardians 13-16, Red Lanterns 13-15, GL Annual #1, GLC Annual #1)

GL: The End

I'll probably read the current Justice League series afterwards since Hal is in it.  Anything else I should add?  I know there was a Sinestro Corps collection collecting the villains one shots, but Johns didn't write any of the specials and they don't seem essential to the main storyline (I'm familiar with the characters' backstories).  Should I add it?  Are there any other issues of GLC that tie in directly and should be added.  Or something that ties into the crossover books.

I assume if I read the Blackest Night/Brightest Day main books and the GL tie-ins, I won't miss anything too crucial?

Anyways, if someone sees something that should be added, mention it.  Thanks.

GLC was fairly consistently the better book, imo, and the whole thing reads better if you read all of it in order (maybe not Red Lanterns.  That book was pretty terrible) then just the Johns and direct crossover stuff.

I think it works a lot better to think of it as the Johns/Tomasi GL era, as Tomasi was the editor on both GL and GLC until the middle of SCW, when he took over writing GLC (and then bounced around a bit) but your ymmv.

I've thought of rereading GLC and the other associated books, but....  I read some of the Gibbons and Tomasi run when the books came out and didn't find it anything out of the ordinary.  I wouldn't mind picking up at least the GLC run, and giving Tomasi another chance. but that's probably 10 or 11 trades and I suspect I'm not going to want to invest that much on top of what I've already spent.  Ideally, yeah, I'd go ahead and reread GLC and a couple other things too.

Gotham Central: Jokers and Madmen. Really dug the first story focused on the Joker. It was interesting seeing how the cops act when someone like Joker comes around, and the casualties by the end were really felt. The murder case with scientists offered some nice focus on some of the other detectives within the MCU. The final story focusing on a cold case and Bullock was pretty good. The climax was particularly great with the tension created. It was good finally seeing follow up on Bullock after he was let go though I have to admit it was damn depressing as well. Great read.

Gotham Central: Jokers and Madmen. Really dug the first story focused on the Joker. It was interesting seeing how the cops act when someone like Joker comes around, and the casualties by the end were really felt. The murder case with scientists offered some nice focus on some of the other detectives within the MCU. The final story focusing on a cold case and Bullock was pretty good. The climax was particularly great with the tension created. It was good finally seeing follow up on Bullock after he was let go though I have to admit it was damn depressing as well. Great read.

Glad you enjoyed it mate. The Joker story is one of the best ever Joker stories.

Glad you enjoyed it mate. The Joker story is one of the best ever Joker stories.

I actually disagree with that, not because the story wasn't good because as you can see I like it a good deal. Its not a great Joker story because ultimately its not really about him so much as how his obsession with Batman affects GCPD and citizens who are poor bastards caught in the middle of the feud.

I actually disagree with that, not because the story wasn't good because as you can see I like it a good deal. Its not a great Joker story because ultimately its not really about him so much as how his obsession with Batman affects GCPD and citizens who are poor bastards caught in the middle of the feud.

Fair dos. The reasons you give is one why I rate the story as I do.

Kind of a crossed wire, but those of you who, like me, we're big DC fans until Infinite Crisis or so and then wandered off will really want to see the new Scribblenauts game. The PC AVERSION IS $15 for another few hours on Steam still, and despite a few glaring omissions its depth of roster is jaw dropping. In the first mission I had to get a doctor to help an injured girl. As a test, I tried to summon Aztek. Not only is he in the game (as are Hitman, Argus and freaking Gunfire) but they remembered he's a surgeon.

No sign of the Ryan Choi or Adam Cray versions of the Atom, though, and Bart is only in as Kid Flash.

Anyone else on here reading Detective? If so, WTF was that with Catwoman showing up at Wayne Manor in an overcoat over Robin gear at the end of the last issue? There was no indication of the issue being Elseworlds or Earth 2 or any of that before that last page.

I had figured it was part of the whole Gothtopia deal, I just thought that was starting next week on its own. There was absolutely zero segue from in continuity to whatever the hell Gothtopia is going to be.

I just read issue 26 yesterday and am currently 4 weeks behind in reading my weekly pulls. The stack of comics I need to read to catch up is daunting.

Bunn writes the Sixth Gun for Oni, a supernatural western. The main character is a spunky girl.

He's also started doing stuff for Marvel, like the now canceled Fearless Defenders, which featured a spunky nerd girl.

He's right up your alley, brian. :)