DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 11/28/2019 at 12:33 PM, odessasteps said:

Would also suggest From Hell and at least the early volumes of LXG. 

Never heard of From Hell. LXG just doesn't interest me for some reason.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, Ace said:

Top 10 is a really fun book as well. A police procedural where everyone has superpowers.

This sounds vaguely familiar. Might check it out at some point.

On 11/28/2019 at 3:26 PM, twiztor said:

Miracleman is my personal highlight of Moore's work.

This is one of those things I have heard some of over the years, but am not quite sure what its about.

37 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'll just chime in with V for Vendetta as well.

Just like Watchmen I've never been super interested in checking it out though I'm sure at some point I will break and finally read it.

From Hell is (nominally) about Jack the Ripper. Drawn by eddie campbell. You might remember the movie version starring Johnny Depp. 

miracleman is broadly Moore’s take on Shazam/Captain Marvel, based on the British analog Marvelman. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

From Hell is (nominally) about Jack the Ripper. Drawn by eddie campbell. You might remember the movie version starring Johnny Depp. 

Heard of the movie though I have never seen it. Never knew it came from comic.

On 11/24/2019 at 3:30 PM, The Natural said:

250px-Dark_knight_returns.jpg

In my list of the 40 best Batman books, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (1986) written and drawn by Frank Miller places #5. The best thing about the story is Bruce Wayne at 55 returns as Batman and what that does to Bruce, Gotham City, Harvey Dent, the President of the United States, the Joker and Superman.

I've always preferred the smaller scale of the first half: Bruce trying to deny himself that he wants back as Bats, Gotham City's criminality is more violent since his absence and how Harvey Dent is handled. The second part is bigger with fights between the Joker, Superman and a memorable ending. You can't go wrong with either.  #1 is the best of the four issues.You can see the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns influence on Batman since it's release. What do you think to Batman: The Dark Knight Returns? Which part do you prefer?

One last note, I strongly recommend the animated movie of the same name split into two parts from 2012 and 2013. All involved do a great job particularly the animation resembling the artwork, Peter Weller's Bruce Wayne/Batman, Michael Emerson as the Joker and Christopher Drake with a very memorable score.

I've read the above and Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade. On my to do list is Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again and Batman: The Dark Knight - The Master Race. Thoughts on any of these?

Edited by The Natural

Speaking of Frank Miller, I recently read for the first time...

All Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder #1-10 is written by Frank Miller. Jim Lee does the artwork. The series retells how Dick Grayson becomes Batman’s sidekick, Robin. Along the way other characters appear in Batgirl and Green Lantern. Going in I was aware how panned it was and that infamous Batman line: “I’m the Goddamn Batman” to Dick Grayson in #2. Batman uses the R word before that. No, just no.

Even knowing the contempt for the book, I was still taken aback at how bad this is. Batman’s characterization is something else, he’s abusive to Dick Grayson including telling him to eat rats if hungry. Batman is very violent here. A grunting Neanderthal. #10 had to be recalled because you can see the swear words through the black bars with multiple uses of the f word and the c bomb to Batgirl. Only positive things I can say about the book, Jim Lee’s art and #9 for the measures Batman and Robin take to Hal Jordan’s Green Lantern.

Edited by The Natural

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

are they coming up on milestones? i am very pro-legacy nimbering, but it's usually a stunt brought on by a hundredth issue....

Both series are starting the legacy numbering with issues 750 (issue #750 of WW released in January, #750 of Flash hitting shelves in February).

• Thanks 1

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again collects Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1-3 written and drawn by Frank Miller. Batman who faked his death three years earlier comes back to rebel against the US Government. This was a bloated mess both in story and especially the awful art. The book is too weighed down by a bigger cast. Dick Grayson’s treatment is something else. Amazing how the same writer wrote the best Batman book ever in Batman: Year One and a top five entry, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns can write this/All Star Batman & Robin.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:08 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, the omnibus has both their run from right after Morrison when it was still Dick and Damian in that book, as well as their New 52 run. It's mostly really good stuff, but I would personally recommend reading the Morrison Batman and Robin run first.

I decided to take your advice and ordered vol 1 and vol 2 of the Morrison omnibus for less than $90 total on Amazon.  With 1 day shipping should have tomorrow and cannot wait to dive in.  Thank you for the tip Brian!!

• Like 2

Some doomsday clock 12 Spoilers

Spoiler

Jon changes the metaverse. After Superman saves him from nihilism.

The Metaverse changes again, Superman retains his Golden age past.  Then Barry gets his powers decades later and the speedforce splits Earth into Earth 1 and 2 and pushing Superman ahead. The Crisis comes and Earth 1985 is created. After the Flash point and Rebirth Earth Nu52 is created. Then the generational Earth is Created.

So 5 earths.

Several other changes happen to the metaverse and Secret Crisis with Marvel 2030. And goes on and on to the future where more Earths are created and Superman is split in them all.

Edited by D.Z

Does anyone know what's going on with Astro City?

After the Ongoing was finished Busiek announced the series would continue in OGN form, but that was in January of 2018 and I couldn't find any more news since then.

With Vertigo no longer being a thing, is it safe to say it's dead? Would be a damn shame...

Hell Arisen spoilers about the Morrison multiverse 

Spoiler

More Earths are dying, the good ones while the evil aren't.

Hypertime is now not just dying but broken.

Edited by D.Z