DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 10:41 AM, Matt D said:

@The Natural is going to love Batman Annual 4.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:54 AM, The Natural said:

Just rung my LCS to save me Batman Annual #4 if there's a spare copy or to order one in. Thank you, @Matt D

Batman Annual (2016) #4. Everyday written by Tom King, Jorge Fornes and Mike Norton artists. I picked this up today. The story is set around the perspective of Alfred Pennyworth’s diary entries detailing cases Batman’s solved. These vary in severity including OTT ones. I thought this was a brilliant story as Batman’s closest, Alfred talks about him. The book shows different sides to Bruce from the time before he became the Dark Knight and the Detective. My favourite was Batman dishing out justice to a cage fighter who got away with assaulting his girlfriend.

I haven’t been a fan of Tom King’s Batman run but this and Batman Annual #2 are the main exceptions. I’d say this was King’s best Batman story. Great artwork as well especially Jorge Fornes resembling David Mazzucchelli’s on Batman: Year One. Batman: Year One is the best ever Batman story. Thanks, @Matt D for the recommendation.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

does anyone know of a website you can go to that gives synopses of what is going on in all of the comics?  I wanted to catch up on some and have no idea what is happening. I'm a bit familiar with Year of the Villain, but I walked into a comic shop last night and was surprised how many batman titles are currently out. I saw one with him attempting to break Bane's back.  I also saw where Nightwing took a bullet. Would love to get all the backstories to these events.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

does anyone know of a website you can go to that gives synopses of what is going on in all of the comics?  I wanted to catch up on some and have no idea what is happening. I'm a bit familiar with Year of the Villain, but I walked into a comic shop last night and was surprised how many batman titles are currently out. I saw one with him attempting to break Bane's back.  I also saw where Nightwing took a bullet. Would love to get all the backstories to these events.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking while tired so having said that, I'm not sure of a dedicated website. You can try looking through the solicitations which come out a few months before the books hit the shelves giving you an idea what's in them. I think I'd be able to assist you with the main Batman book. Hope that helps in some way.

Edited by The Natural

here's what's happening in Nightwing.
Dick got shot in the head and is now an amnesiac. He goes by "Ric" now and wants nothing to do with being a hero. There's a group of Bludhaven cops that now wear his old Nightwing costumes. They try but he always has to save them. Did i mention he has no memories and doesn't want to be a hero? Now the court of owls abducted him and are attempting to turn him into a Talon. Also, he doesn't remember being Robin or Nightwing and he doesn't want anything to do with that life.

that is literally all that's happened in the last year. don't read it. It's repetitive and has made zero forward progress.

• Like 1

Most of DC now. Bit of a ramble.

Spoiler

Ric is now getting new memories added in. And the Owls turned his old memories off.

Superman revealed his id to the world.

The Dark Multiverse is infecting the multiverse and invading it. Supergirl, Gordon, Jaime Reys, Donna Troy, Hawkman, Shazam are infected and dark now.

Wally has to stop the Dark Multiverse from infecting the 51 multiverse. And save his kids.

While the big bad in JL destroyed the Gotham by Gaslight Earth. Her minion Lex is now a Martian Human creature. The Anti-Monitor is back and working for her.

Alfred is dead.

Hunter learns Professor Zoom killed Ashley's dad, so he fixes the broken barrier and dies. Barry's powers are still broken. 

The Green Lanterns are replaced by BlackStars via history rewrite in Hals book, only for history to come back but new Guardians will show up.

Timelines in certain books are not matching up.

Anyway the new Crisis is coming....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

thank you Natural!  I appreciate the help!!

Any time. Hope this helps...

Tom King's Batman run is pretty much set around Batman/Catwoman, will they/wont they get together. Instead of calling each other that, it's Bat and Cat. That gets old realllly fast. Bane is the biggest reoccurring villain from it. Batman #50 annoyed people.

This run is divisive. For those who love, it there are those who don't. I started reading the flagship Batman book with Grant Morrison, then Scott Snyder and now Tom King. King's is by far the worst. I can't recommend the run but I would the Annuals which are worthwhile: Batman Annual #1-2 and especially #4. King's better suited to them and short arcs like The Vision which I love. Tom King was removed from the main Batman book, it was also getting outsold by a Scott Snyder mini series, the Batman Who Laughs. King's run will be finished off by a 12 issue series with Batman, Catwoman and the Phantasm next year.

Edited by The Natural

51 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

did King start with the Rebirth series?   i picked up the Batman and Robin omnibus but haven't read it yet.  I was a big Tim Drake fan and not really sold on Damian.  Did they ever explain if Drake died or not?

Yes, Tom King started with the Rebirth series. I'm assuming the Batman and Robin omnibus is Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin written by Grant Morrison? If so, you should read it ASAP. I love Grant Morrison 2006-2013 Batman run, Batman and Robin is fucking brilliant. As for Tim Drake, the way I understood it, he was believed dead in the opening arc of Detective Comics Rebirth but it turns out he was trapped somewhere and got out. 

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

is Tim in the modern stories or just written off?   The Batman and Robin omnibus is by Tomasi and Gleeson   

The New 52 did a number on Tim. I think he's now called Drake, yes his superhero guise is called Drake. Batman and Robin by Tomasi and Gleason is really good overcoming an early dodgy spell. Does it collect the whole run by them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

is Tim in the modern stories or just written off?   The Batman and Robin omnibus is by Tomasi and Gleeson   

Tim was featured heavily in James Tynion IV's Dectetive Comics rebirth run and I enjoyed that run a lot more than King's Batman and recommed it. I stopped following it after Tyion left so idk if he's still heavily involved.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

The New 52 did a number on Tim. I think he's now called Drake, yes his superhero guise is called Drake. Batman and Robin by Tomasi and Gleason is really good overcoming an early dodgy spell. Does it collect the whole run by them?

yes it's the full run.  It's a huge book over 1000 pages. I bought it on Ebay.  I see it on Amazon but Amazon says it's releasing next month.  Not sure if they are doing a re-release or if they have the date wrong.  I've had the book for about 2 months now.  

• Like 1

250px-Dark_knight_returns.jpg

In my list of the 40 best Batman books, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (1986) written and drawn by Frank Miller places #5. The best thing about the story is Bruce Wayne at 55 returns as Batman and what that does to Bruce, Gotham City, Harvey Dent, the President of the United States, the Joker and Superman.

I've always preferred the smaller scale of the first half: Bruce trying to deny himself that he wants back as Bats, Gotham City's criminality is more violent since his absence and how Harvey Dent is handled. The second part is bigger with fights between the Joker, Superman and a memorable ending. You can't go wrong with either.  #1 is the best of the four issues.You can see the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns influence on Batman since it's release. What do you think to Batman: The Dark Knight Returns? Which part do you prefer?

One last note, I strongly recommend the animated movie of the same name split into two parts from 2012 and 2013. All involved do a great job particularly the animation resembling the artwork, Peter Weller's Bruce Wayne/Batman, Michael Emerson as the Joker and Christopher Drake with a very memorable score.

Edited by The Natural

Yeah, the omnibus has both their run from right after Morrison when it was still Dick and Damian in that book, as well as their New 52 run. It's mostly really good stuff, but I would personally recommend reading the Morrison Batman and Robin run first.

• Like 2

Finished reading Watchmen yesterday. Was interesting seeing how accurate an adaption the film was aside form the giant mutant squid part. I can kind of see why some hate that part. It doesn't really mesh with the reality aspect of the book and somehow still feels off from the super sci-fi aspects with Dr. Manhattan. I don't hate it though I don't particularly like it either. Laurie's reactions to seeing New York post attack helps to some extent in keeping the tone and gravitas of what just occurred. Dug the book overall. Its easily the best thing I have read from Moor. Of course the only other thing I have read from him offhand is the Killing Joke which I hated. Really need to read his Swamp Thing run at some point.