DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

33 minutes ago, Justin877 said:

I didn't realize Jimmy Olsen was just a 12 issue mini.  But I might have to get it sooner rather than waiting on the DC Universe App

I think Jimmy and Lois books are both minis.

Read the first volume of Justice League Odyssey. Dug it a decent amount. I like the team dynamics and Ghost sector stuff is generally interesting though it feels like things may be moving kind of fast. Its nice to see Azrael get a prominent role though I do wish people would cut down on the Azbat aspects. The Queseda outfit and variations based on it were always the best of Azrael's costumes.

Batman: Hush collects Wizard #0 and Batman #608-691 by Jeph Loeb/Jim Lee. Wizard #0 is a good two page retelling of Batman’s origin narrated by Alfred Pennyworth. The title story sees Bats going up against his villains and even a friend in Superman by the manipulations of a new arrival, Hush and somebody working in the shadows. This was one of a number of Batman books I started with when I really began my Batman graphic novel reading in '05.

I liked Jim Lee’s art, Batman’s storyline with Catwoman, also the Batman/Nightwing issue and I approve of the mastermind behind all this getting the treatment he does. Loeb puts Batman up against his rogues’ roster again but the book’s nowhere near the level of his Batman: The Long Halloween (I need to read Batman: Dark Victory at some point). Hush’s identity is predictable. Paul Dini did a great job expanding Hush’s backstory in Batman: Heart of Hush. If you ask me, that’s the one with Hush in to go for.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Batman: Hush collects Wizard #0 and Batman #608-691 by Jeph Loeb/Jim Lee. Wizard #0 is a good two page retelling of Batman’s origin narrated by Alfred Pennyworth. The title story sees Bats going up against his villains and even a friend in Superman by the manipulations of a new arrival, Hush and somebody working in the shadows. This was one of a number of Batman books I started with when I really began my Batman graphic novel reading in '05.

I liked Jim Lee’s art, Batman’s storyline with Catwoman, also the Batman/Nightwing issue and I approve of the mastermind behind all this getting the treatment he does. Loeb puts Batman up against his rogues’ roster again but the book’s nowhere near the level of his Batman: The Long Halloween (I need to read Batman: Dark Victory at some point). Hush’s identity is predictable. Paul Dini did a great job expanding Hush’s backstory in Batman: Heart of Hush. If you ask me, that’s the one with Hush in to go for.

Was Hush's identity supposed to be a big surprise? I didn't start reading comics until well after its original run, but it always came across to me that the real story of interest was in the actual mastermind behind Hush and him finally discovering who Batman was.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/02/dc-comics-black-batman/

I'm all for a black Batman. Bruce Wayne Batman has been replaced in recent Batman runs. Grant Morrison's epic Batman run gave us Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne Batman #666. Scott Snyder's also had Dick Grayson Batman and Comissioner Gordon as Batman. 

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/02/dc-comics-black-batman/

I'm all for a black Batman. Bruce Wayne Batman has been replaced in recent Batman runs. Grant Morrison's epic Batman run gave us Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne Batman #666. Scott Snyder's also had Dick Grayson Batman and Comissioner Gordon as Batman. 

I'm not. I already have Black Panther who kind of comparable when it comes to badassery, gadgets, and planning, all while carving out his own character. Really though I would just rather not see Bruce leaving the cowl again so soon unless its Dick back under the cowl. There are currently no interesting Black characters close to the family (Duke does nothing for me), and this type of stuff almost always feels like pandering which I just don't need.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

No Dr. Mid-nite? What's worse is no Mr. Terrific! I stand aghast! 

Now I'm wondering they were in the Johns version for Doomsday Clock. Also trying to recall where the Holt version of Mr. Terrific is.

Finished reading Justice League Hawkworld last night. Not sure if its just the pieces coming together nicely or if Tynion is just better at actual scripting, but this was pretty good and easily the best of Snyder's Justice League run so far.

Edited by Eivion

I'm fine with a Batman sub out, though I do think it's a little soon after Superheavy it's always an interesting ride.

Rich also reporting that the plan was to have Alfred's death to be a fakeout, but due to the response it's now going to be permanent (as much as these things ever are). Not a fan of that call, not least because of the implication that the two results are interchange in terms of story impact.

5 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I'm fine with a Batman sub out, though I do think it's a little soon after Superheavy it's always an interesting ride.

Rich also reporting that the plan was to have Alfred's death to be a fakeout, but due to the response it's now going to be permanent (as much as these things ever are). Not a fan of that call, not least because of the implication that the two results are interchange in terms of story impact.

Because people were so mad at it? I don't think they get how comics heel heat works.

Dr. Mid-nite and Spectre and Johnny Thunder and his Thunderbolt appeared in Doomsday clock, with golden age Superman.

The versions I posted above are hypertime past versions. Also the versions they will be using instead.

No Mr.Terrific in either version.

doomsday-clock-10-11.jpg