DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I think part of the reason I dislike that so much is that I grew up in the era where Clark was never Superboy, never in the LSH, etc.

And partially because the Geoff Johns Secret Origin was such a fucking terrible comic

Forgot to mention I read Justice League: Drowned Earth a week or two ago. Still not all in on Snyder's JL run, but I thought  it was a solid story and a decent end to Abnett's Aquaman run. I like that it wasn't a simple beat em up ending and seeing Luthor's plans not go as smoothly as he wanted since he is still ultimately dealing with individuals who want something different than himself in the Legion of Doom.

Finished up vol 5 of Waid's Flash run. The big stories here were dealing with Savitar and the aftermath of that particular arc. Honestly, it might be the most I've enjoyed the run so far. Dug how Savitar worshiped the speed force and how things came to a head with poor Johnny Quick finally being forced to accept the Speed Force's existence after being in denial for so long. Seeing how Savitar was done in the comics kind of pisses me of with how the show used him. It is just so damn poor and uncreative in comparison. The cult aspect would have been so much more interesting. Dug the aftermath arc a decent bit as well with Wally going through the future and even meeting his cousins and John Fox. 

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The Cockrum uniforms are starting to look not as bad as we always thought. 

Apparently costume redesigns are the work of Ryan Sook, the artist on the ongoing monthly.  I really dug Sook's art on JM DeMatteis' (Hal Jordan) Spectre series years ago, but he seems like a terrible choice for a Legion book.  His work is very reminiscent of Mignola and Chris Bachalo, meaning he's an acquired taste and not someone whose stuff looks great to casual readers.  Also, has he down a monthly since Spectre?  Not that I can remember and his run on Spectre was kinda short and marred by too many fill-in issues.  I'm a big fan of Sook/Mignola/Bachalo/etc. on certain books, but I generally don't like the style for mainstream superhero comics.

Hoping it works out for him.  I thought his Spectre stuff was fantastic.  But the character designs don't give me a lot of confidence.

Edited by Doc Townsend

Sook does bits and pieces but usually not sustained runs. Probably the work that most of the forum will have seen is #5 of Return of Bruce Wayne. He also did the art for Kamandi in Wednesday Comics, Seven Soldiers: Zatanna, and the Batman Beyond Rebirth special. 

I dig his style but I can't imagine he'll actually be anything resembling a 'regular' artist in more than name on this.

33 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Sook does bits and pieces but usually not sustained runs. Probably the work that most of the forum will have seen is #5 of Return of Bruce Wayne. He also did the art for Kamandi in Wednesday Comics, Seven Soldiers: Zatanna, and the Batman Beyond Rebirth special. 

I dig his style but I can't imagine he'll actually be anything resembling a 'regular' artist in more than name on this.

I remember being so excited for him to pencil X-Factor based on Zatanna (the first place I saw him) and then he was gone even before the first arc ended. I usually dig his shit, but (a) he's not gonna draw more than like 4 issues unless he started drawing the day Bendis signed with DC and (b) I really hate most of those designs

DC launching Tales From the Dark Multiverse in October.

Basically Elseworlds meets What If? Each issue will be 48 pages Prestige Format (I presume squarebound) one shots for $5.99.

First two are Knightfall (written by Snyder/Higgins) and Death of Superman. Knightfall is what if Bruce Wayne failed to retake the mantle and has Jean Paul continue as Batman, turning Gotham into a fascist state and murdering criminals until he faces down the Son of Bane. Sounds very cool. Death of Superman is what happens if Lois was possessed by the Eradicator after his death which is...not uninteresting, but definitely less exciting than Knightfall.

Infinite Crisis, Blackest Night, and Judas Contract announced as concepts to come as well.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 1:38 AM, Brian Fowler said:

If Ellis is really into this, and not in one of his "I hate superheroes but I want a paycheck" modes, I'm interested

Agreed.  Though really, I'm happy with this announcement because it leaves Hitch a lot less time to write.

• Haha 1